1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Additional details on TSB 95128?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 02:46 PM
wdpond
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been experiencing some really wierd thumping noises in my 94 Ranger 3.0 for the past few months. In retrospect, I really can't remember when they started. The dealer today told me that the above TSB describes my problem, and that I probably need a bypass kit# F47Z8522E at a cost of slightly over $300.00 (installed price). He also indicated that these thumping noises could be caused by the anti-freeze mix not equal to 50-50. He didn't let me read the actual TSB, and I'd really like to see what it says about this problem. Could it be that I have air trapped in my cooling system? Would someone on this board with access to the TSBs be able to email a copy to me?

Thanks,
wp

Old 09-27-2002, 03:41 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your email, it's the revised TSB.

Old 09-27-2002, 04:25 PM
wdpond
New User

Thanks, Ken for the quick response and for taking the time to find and send the TSB. This confirms my suspicion that there might be other items contributing to the problem. I'll take a good look this weekend when I flush the cooling system and reply with my findings.

wp;

Old 10-02-2002, 07:54 PM
wdpond
New User

Ken, thanks again for your help here. I've got a couple of questions you might be able to help with.

1. The problem still persists after flushing the cooling system and refilling with pre-mixed 50-50 Anti-freeze. I've ordered Ford's coolant bypass kit, but its on backorder. Does the TSB indicate what parts the coolant bypass kit contains? I've got a mental theory about a possible problem with my lower radiator hose, but I don't want to purchase a new one if it's included in the bypass kit.

2. Do you know if the kit will come with picture-type instructions, or are they only provided in the TSB?

Thanks again for your indulgence here.

Wp;

Old 10-03-2002, 06:10 AM
TOUGHLover
Elder User

Man this sounds like AN ISSUE. Can anyone shed more light on this TSB ? Is the problem due to a - MORE THAN - 50% antifreeze\coolant-water mixture ? If Ford is saying the mix has to be EXACTLY 50\50 - well that's gonna be a little tough to pull off, and if the bypass kits are on back order, it sounds like a significant problem. What exactly does the bypass do ? Sign me, "interested in the mountains - with winter looming" ...

Old 10-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend

For 93-94 it will contain lower radiator hose and an elbow.

I have no idea if you will get pictures.

Old 10-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend

They do have you check for the proper ratio but it doesn't have to be exact and I don't see were most people would need a higher lever of antifreeze since 50/50 should be down to -35f.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:03 PM
wdpond
New User

I'm probably waaaaay too picky about this problem, but here's the progress.

The Coolant bypass kit is on backorder. Expects to ship about 10/14, so I decide to take a closer looksee. First, since I'd confirmed the coolant is boiling (By the unscientific method of holding the upper radiator hose after driving and feeling it expand and contract "in time with" the noise). I decided to see what would happen with no thermostat at all. Answer, No noise, no boil, no problem. OK, now what. I've already replaced the original thermostat (Twice). But, I remember that the problem *seemed* to begin shortly after I changed the coolant and thermostat for no other reason than "it was time". Both times, I'd chosen the "heavy duty" Stant thermostat at Pep Boys (one 180 degree and one 195 degree). I wonder what would happen if I chose the "OEM quality" 180 degree stat? $2.95 later, (and Realizing that the weather HAS begun to cool off) it appears that the thumping noise after freeway driving has disappeared! :-)

I've read quite a few posts in various newsgroups that talk about the coolant bypass kit being installed in Taurus and Sable cars with the Vulcan engine as well as problems with freeze plugs in these cars, but has anyone here needed the bypass kit for the Vulcan engine in a Ranger? I'm certainly going to install it whenever it arrives, and I'll update this post when the results are in........

wp;

Old 10-10-2002, 01:12 PM
TOUGHLover
Elder User

Good work WD. PLEASE do keep us (ME!) informed as I have a `99 3.0 and cannot afford the kit right now (much less installed). I am curious though about a couple (actually MANY!) things - 1. Where do you live (climate\weather) ? 2. I wonder if a higher concentration of coolant would help? Can safely go up to 70%, though I don't think that raises the boil. point very much - did hear a story from someone once that ran 100% antifreeze\coolant - not sure how the story ended, if it did end (?). I am quite concerned with this problem as I am pretty dang poor right now (multiple reasons) and don't need extra-curricular problems - if you know what I mean. Again, PLEASE keep us informed - Thanks in advance - Glenn... PS There is another man with a similar post today . . .

Old 10-13-2002, 03:21 PM
01RangerSC
Junior User

The bypass kit will solve your problem but if it started after changing the thermostat and coolant, there is a possibility you have air trapped in the cooling system somewhere which will cause this same noise. Try bleeding the system to eliminate the air. I use a vacuum-fill system to refill cooling systems to eliminate this problem. Just my .02 worth. Later, Rick

Old 10-14-2002, 10:51 AM
amp17757
Senior User

Have you ever heard of Red Line Synthetic Oils?? They make a cooling system additive called "WatterWetter". It's not exactly cheap (anywhere from $6.99 to $7.99 for a 12 ounce bottle, depending on where you live & shop). This stuff really works good. I have never had the "thumping" problem in a vehicle such as has been described. But desiring to run a higher concentration of ethylene glycol WITHOUT LOSING COOLING CAPACITY, I tried the "WaterWetter". I am running about 10% water, 80% ethylene glycol, & 10% "WaterWetter". No matter what kind of driving conditions I experience, the coolant temp NEVER rises above the thermostat open point (about 195 F).

Old 10-15-2002, 08:58 PM
newtattoobob
Junior User
Post Additional details on TSB 95128?

Could someone tell me exactly what the kit is suppossed to bypass? On my 93 Ranger my lower radaitor hose has a splice in it with a smaller heater hose coming off it. Could my truck already have the bypass kit or are all the lower hoses spliced like this? Thanks Bob

Old 10-23-2002, 07:30 PM
raw242
New User
Post Additional details on TSB 95128?

Been through a lot with Ford and my 94 Ranger concering the poping and constant swings in temperature. Sure would like to read the TSB for myself if anyone could send it? Heck I may have had one of the first bypass systems installed on my truck years ago, as Ford cut my lower radiator hose and installed the tee.

Rick

Old 10-24-2002, 01:19 PM
MickeyP
Senior User

Hello everyone,

First, there's quite a bit of history on this topic in past threads. Go to Search, enter "cooling system thump" (no quotes) and use the AND logic (all the words included). You'll see 4 threads, best being a recent one, '93 Ranger Challenge. Mine was "cooling system woes" and is somewhat informative as well.

I have the TSB but it really is disappointing. The gist of it: steam formation (no reason as to why), things to check first (leaks, coolant mix, timing, coolant temp sensor), then when all that stuff checks out (like on my '94 Ranger), they say to install the kit. That's it.

There are theories on the root cause (see my thread), but nothing concrete -- Ford will never 'fess up, either, so don't hold your breath. Things like leaks and coolant mix ratios can aggravate the problem, but are not the cause by any means.

FWIW, I changed my radiator (now #3), put in a new Stant stat (195 degree) with a self-added mod (1/8" hole added) and all new hoses. The engine runs a little cooler now (probably the 1/8" and 2 degree cooler stat) and the noise was pretty much gone. But now I think it's starting to come back again with the cold weather starting (NJ).

As someone else said in a post, the only guaranteed cure is the kit. I'll probably add it in next spring, if I can make it that long. Also, you can get it a little cheaper from www.fordpartsnetwork.com than the dealer. In the interim, I'm going to try the anti-knock stuff that one poster mentioned. At this point,Profanity Removed…

Mike P.

Old 10-25-2002, 08:25 AM
wdpond
New User

FWIW: I checked prices for the kit at several sites I found via Google. Unfortunately, it didn't appear to be available at the company that sponsors this site. I found my best price at: www.genuine-ford-parts.com They were extremely helpful and responsive.
wp;

Quick Reply: Additional details on TSB 95128?