Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The big filter is in

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 02:31 PM
gunfrk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The big filter is in

I installed the "Txxxx-type" of filter today. It took probably an hour or so. You can see the finished product here

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=12715

The filter at NAPA was $39 in Mobile, AL. I stopped at Carquest and the Fleetguard, Donaldson, Baldwin were $38. I stopped her there but they likely had all three. I looked at the Puralator A45090 at Pepboys and it doesn't have a neck on it to insert into the intake hose like the Duralite (NAPA) does. You can use the factory clamp like I did if you are careful in restarting the threads. Consider getting a 5" clamp though.

The results are to come later. I did note that I can now hear the dreaded turbo surge only in the tow mode on my bullydog since the shifts are instantaneous unlike the 2 higher modes where the tranny shifts smoother so the boost has time to bleed off.

Next comes the CCV mode and Air Heater delete to free up the air flow.

Thanks to all for the ideas and part numbers and further info. It sure beats throwing buckets of money at it hoping to fix something that wasn't broken.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Ken aka Savage
Senior User
I upgraded my 7.3 with a new Ford factory 6.0L style airbox & filter at my last oil change, I had given some thought to going to a K&N style filter, but since my F350 sees some fairly dusty service & having heard many stories of 7.3 Dieseld failing due to ingesting dust & dirt I decided to change to the better design of airbox. To my way of thinking a free flowing air intake simply cannot be as clean as the more restrictive filters.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:43 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
You may be doing more bad than good by having that shield in place. I would think that it would restrict the flow of cool air coming under the hood when you're moving. Don't worry about moisture. Mine has stayed dry through terrential downpours and blizzards and the filter element repels water anyway.

Originally Posted by Ken aka Savage
To my way of thinking a free flowing air intake simply cannot be as clean as the more restrictive filters.
Very true, but the Duralite is a paper filter made by Donaldson, the same company that makes the filters for the Ford AIS you're referring to.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:51 PM
gunfrk
Senior User
I looked at the shield when installing and concluded the restriction is practically nil. If you had to put a % on it, it really only touches the filter probably less than 1/4 of 1%. It just doesn't let any thing blow through the hood gap. But you know, I don't think I have ever seen my under hood wet and that is through several storms and a few hurricanes. It was overkill. I think I'll likely remove it.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:53 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
The main issue is that more air will be coming from the direction of the engine, which will be warmer. If you shield anything, shield the engine from the filter. Even this, IMO, is not necessary. Anyway, it's your truck so do what you want. I just thought I'd add my $.02.

Old 10-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Beast01
Senior User
Question 6637 Filter

Installed mine two nights ago. Took all of 10 minutes. Thats good for me let me tell ya. I am definately no mechanic. Which leads me to my question for you guys. I now am noticing a swishing sound as the truck shifts into 4th gear. What is it I am hearing (surge? If so please describe) and is it hurting my PSD?

Old 10-17-2004, 04:48 PM
gunfrk
Senior User
There has been considerable debate over the swishing/surge and the various cures. The only difference in what I have today and what I had yesterday is now I hear it. I don't think I'm going to worry about it now untill I hook up to my rig again and find if it is constant. I'll find out soon if the CCV mod which should free up 2 sq in of intake and the airheater delete which should free up another 2 on the pressure side helps with the surge/swoosh.

I did hook my wastegate back up until I can get the above and the M.A.P. side of the boost line regulated. It does no good to have all that boost if it just defuels anyway.

Old 10-17-2004, 05:15 PM
smokin redneck
Junior User
I did the NAPA filter change this weekend as well, and admit, I love it, sounds pretty cool too. Think I must have done better on the price though, $17.00 bucks total ...

Old 10-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Subdued
Freshman User
Originally Posted by smokin redneck
I did the NAPA filter change this weekend as well, and admit, I love it, sounds pretty cool too. Think I must have done better on the price though, $17.00 bucks total ...
Which part #'s did you use to stay within a $17 budget?

Old 10-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
NAPA part # 6637

Old 10-17-2004, 09:56 PM
gunfrk
Senior User
Hey Kwik

My filter is the 6637 and it was still $39. I'll give a call around to other NAPA's and see what there prices are.

Old 10-17-2004, 10:47 PM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
That is the stock hose in the picture right?? Just slid it on the new filter, take the old tray out and install?? I was thinking of making a shield that went towards the inside of the engine bay, a make**** CAI kit. Might help keep dirt exposure down too.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:03 AM
eckart
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a heads up on the napa 6637 with the stock hose over the filter neck. Just came back from a hunting trip so things got bounced around a bit but nothing wild. My intake hose was coming off the filter. It was assembled dry and no I didn't tighten the heck out of the clamp. Everything inside was clean so it didn't leak but it was 1/4" away from sucking dirty air. I'm going to build an adapter between the two and try that.
Eckart

Old 10-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
Airflowonline sells a mounting bracket for those filters. Check it out. Forget how much, but I don't think they were over 20 bucks.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:48 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
just use a piece of 4" exhaust and go inside the filter and intake hose...