Notices

390 Stroker Kit

Old 10-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Madmike33 is starting off with a positive reputation.
390 Stroker Kit

Hey guys I'm going to convert my 360 into a 390, Seeing that I'm changing the crank I need to know a few things. I want to compare prices on just a crank or a whole stroker kit. Is a forged crank the same as what I'll find in a stroker kit? If so what are the main advantages of the whole kit rather than just the crank. Also can't seem to find a web site where I can find these for a 390.
Thanx

Madmike33

Old 10-17-2004, 10:17 AM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.
FFR428 has a good reputation on FTE.FFR428 has a good reputation on FTE.
Flatlander racing and RPM Machine both sell stroker kits for the 390. They come with the basic Scat crank and advertise a billet crank that can be added for a whole lot more. They kits are around $1600 for crank, rods and pistons etc...G.

Old 10-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Scouder
Posting Guru
Scouder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Scouder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nobody makes a forged aftermarket crank for the FE. Choices are limited to cast and billet.

-Scouder

Old 10-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Scouder
Posting Guru
Scouder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Scouder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I should also mention that in almost every case a cast crank is sufficient in a street driven FE. I think lots of nitrous, lots of boost, or 7500+rpm would probably dictate a billet.

-Scouder

Old 10-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Thanx for the info guys, I have to say I'm now leaning more for the stroker set up. One thing left that'll help me to decide. What are the advantages or roughly what am I getting more out of a stoker rather than a close to stock aftermarket set up? Are the numbers totally different?

Madmike33

Old 10-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Scouder
Posting Guru
A stroker is going to give you more torque in any given combination. More HP is a by-product of the torque increase. So, in general, the engine is going to pull harder through the entire rpm range with a stroker crank. A stroker will also tend to make any given cam feel slightly smaller, depending on how big your kit is. For example, a cam that would pull real hard from 2000-5500 in a 390, may only pull from 1750 to 5250 in a stroker of any size. ( This is only an example, do not try this at home, some side effects may occur, to be performed by a professional driver on a closed course, please consult your physician, offer not valid in California, Massachusetts, or the Virgin Islands).

If you have the bucks, do a stroker.

-Scouder

Old 10-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Madmike33
Elder User
Thanx scouder. sorry for the late reply, been really busy lately. So I think I'll be going stroker. What sort of cam would I be looking at? Keep in mind I'm going all out with this engine. I want the best power deliverance throughout as much of the rpm range I can get.

Madmike33

Old 10-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru
Give us details. Are you starting from scratch? Do you already have the heads, manifold, carb, etc...? If you plan to reuse some of your components list them so we can give you opinions on a build sheet. Also, your idea of "all out" may be different than mine, or somebody else's. What is it going in? How do you want to use it? Will you drive it daily? Do you want to use pump gas? Will you tow with it? Things like that.

We love to give opinions, it's what we do best!

-Scouder

Old 10-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Allright like I mentioned I'm converting the 360 into a 390. Basically I'm keeping the block and fetching Hp and torque the old fashion way which is internal components. I'm doing a frame up restoration on a 1974 f250 hiboy. This will be a show truck/ weekend driver I would like High 300's or even low 400's HP at the wheels. Probably around low 500's at the flywheel, so Basically as much as I can get of both Hp and Torque without going Nitrous. As for work, mudding, or street racing I love em all but will mainly be a street ride with lots of guts and should scare off any civic owner.

Ok so I've decided on Edelbrock 390 heads, probably with the valves allready in place. Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holly 4 barrel with mechanical secondaries. and have officialy been convinced that a Stroker kit is in the mix. I'm aware of oiling mods in FAQ, also advance timing. What I need to know is what Rocker assemblies, Cams and pretty much everything that wraps around the parts, would be best.
I wanna get as much as I can without ping at the pumps. I'm willing to run Premium.
I really appreciate all of your help, hope this is clear enough.

Madmike33

Old 10-24-2004, 01:14 AM
Scouder
Posting Guru
1. 4.25 crank/rod/piston kit 10 or 10.5 compression.
2. If you have the option get Big Block Chevy rods 6.7" long
3. Get the heads bare, then have a machine shop put the appropriate springs for your cam. If you can afford them, get stage II ported Ebocks from Keith Craft. He will set up the springs you need when you tell him the cam.
4. Crane 349521 Hydraulic roller or Comp 33-638-5 solid flat tappet or similar.
5. 850 CFM Carb. Some will say 750 is enough. I think 500HP justifies 850.
6. Use Erson rocker assembly. If not, at least use spacers,HD shafts, and end stands. Roller rockers are justifiable in this combo.
7. Kick some ricer a**.

This combo should put you over 500tq and 500hp on premium. It would be 445" engine at a .030 overbore. Should pull hard from 3000-6000rpm and still have decent torque on the bottom. We need Gtex to reply, because this engine would be VERY similar to his. He could tell you how it pulls, low end versus high end, etc...

This is my opinion at this moment in time. I may change it after I sleep.

-Scouder

Old 10-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Thumbs up

Thanx Scouder, I guess it would be nice if Gtex would drop a line on this one.

hope he checks out the thread.

Is that 4.25 crank set up a stroker combo I can pick up? or do I have to pick everything up seperate?

Madmike33

Old 10-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru
I'm not sure. No big deal either way. When you get ready to actually make the purchase start a thread and we can help you get just the right stuff.

The components you would need are:

1. A 4.25 crank with bbc journals
2. A set of bbc rods 6.7" in length
3. A set of pistons with the correct pin height and bbc pin size
4. A set of bbc rod bearings.

Everything else is standard 390 stuff. The reason for the bbc rods is a better rod/stroke ratio, which gives more HP, and more choices of manufacturers along with a lower price.

I have the BBC setup in my 511.

-Scouder

Old 10-24-2004, 02:48 PM
gtex
Post Fiend
gtex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry for missing this one earlier...Anyway, that build sounds familar!

Step up to the bigger 349541 Hyd. Roller cam if you're running a manual tranny or a high stall TC in an auto tranny. Especially if you go with the 4.25" stroke...you should have enough low end torque to compensate for the slightly larger cam. I liked the 521, since mine is still supposed to be a 3/4 ton truck with a stock style TC that can pull a load if needed. PS, Power brakes, A/C etc...

you can see my build info here. scroll down and take the motor link for more engine specifics:
http://www.thedreyerfamily.com/69f25.../67project.htm

Old 10-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru
I forgot to mention, Keith Craft is advertising a 4.25 stroke 390 crate engine, which means he would have all the components for this buildup. Note that he is also using the 6.7 bbc stuff:

"We have also developed an FE pump gas engine combination that can be purchased for less than 10,000.00 complete of the dyno. This is a 390 block bored .030 to .040 with a Scat cast steel 4.250 crank, Scat 6.700 rods, Diamomd pistons, Comp cams flat-tappet camshaft, stock front cover, pointer and sleeve with a BHJ SFI approved damper, Canton T-style oil pan and pick-up, Melling HV oil pump, Comp Lifters and pushrods, Edelbrock KCR CNC heads with dual valve springs and 10 degree retainers and locks, Erson roller rockers, Edelbrock Performar RPM intake and water pump, Ford Racing Aluminum valve covers, MSD Distributor nd wires, spark plugs, DaVinci 950 carburetor and dyno session. Complete package is 9950.00. This package will make 570ft/lbs torque and 550HP. If you want to add some compression and larger camshaft we can make well over 600HP. The only used parts are the block, front cover and pointer and damper sleeve. You can ap-grade to a Genesis block for 3300.00 and again will pick up HP due to increased cubic inches. 428 block can be had for a 600.00 up-grade as well. The 390 block will give you about 445C.I. and the 428 block will give about 463C.I. and the 427 block will give 482 to 496C.I. Thanks and good FE hunting, Keith Craft"

-Scouder

Old 10-24-2004, 03:36 PM
dinosaurfan
Posting Guru
dinosaurfan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
390 stroker build

'Mad'Mike, are you angry or crazy ? .....I think the guys are throwing you some good suggestions. The stroker engines make some wonderful power, but they do run out of breath a little sooner, like at 5750 or so with the 4.250 crank, whereas the 3.784 crank 390 keeps on pulling till over 6500. Making the power at a lower rpm is not a bad thing, however. It is usually easier to drive with lots of low rpm power, and it isn't as hard on the internal components. If you are going for this level of performance, I wouldn't get the edel rpm manifold. There is another brand, Blue Thunder, that has shown a 30 hp advantage with no loss in low rpm power over the edel rpm- one of our friends at net 54 drag strip tested them back to back. Where is it that you live ? Jim ****z and Keith Craft are the best when it comes to FEs. They are right down the road from each other in the middle of the southern USA. They both might be too far away from you or too exspensive. You might save yourself a bunch of money by having your shortblock done locally, and then bolting a pair of Jim or Keith's heads on top. I can do the shortblock, and so can just about any machinist, just fine. The big power numbers come from Jim & Keith's experience as FE cylinderhead porters. There are other guys out there as well, but they aren't as well known. If E85 fuel is available near you, it has an R+M/2 of 99.5. Might let you get away with more compression than the rest of us, and make more power. You'd have to get the right fuel pump and carb to match. What size tires are going to be on this beast ? And what axle gears ? What tranny ? ( C6s suck, by the way. They are just a big sponge that soaks up hp ). You might want to check out Engberg's 'Z-eater' mustang on net 54. He has KC ported edel heads on a '428' with a 4.25 Scat crank in it. He is putting 529 hp and 570 lbs-ft at ground on the tires. He has a 4 spd, I believe. If you did a similar build with the smaller 390 bore, I am certain you'd still have over 400 at the tires. DF, posting as instructed by Gilligan

Last edited by dinosaurfan; 10-24-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 390 Stroker Kit

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.