79 F150 - One-click when trying to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 01:44 PM
snipun
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 F150 - One-click when trying to start

When I turn the key the starter clicks once. I replaced the solenoid and it still does the same thing. Should I take the starter in to check if it's good? Should I take the battery in? I still have power to lights and they're not dim or anything. It appears that I have good connections but it is a rust bucket.

About a month ago I tried to start the car and all I got were sparks on the battery from a ground that had rusted away. I replaced the power, ground, and the ground to the block and it started right up. I got home and drove the truck to the bus stop and I get off the bus and the truck just did the one-click thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 10-15-2004, 05:28 PM
sailorpsycho
Junior User
Hmm its likely a bad ground, grab a multimeter and do a continuity test between the soloniods metal base and your batteries ground. You should have very little resistance. (forgot to finnish this thought) If for some reason there is high resistance or no continuity clean up the ground under the solonoid and all the other grounds and ground straps. If that test comes back ok check voltage at the starter when the key is in the start position (will need 2 people and some cauton for this as you will be under the car while someone cranks it over), you should have about 10-14 volts at the starter, if you have voltage at the starter but nothings turning replace the starter. If you dont have any voltage down there then its most likely a fried soloniod. Good luck bud

Last edited by sailorpsycho; 10-15-2004 at 05:31 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-15-2004, 05:57 PM
snipun
Freshman User
Thanks! I'll try that.