2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaky Brakes

I have developed a squeal in one of the rear brakes on my 2200 mile XLT S'crew 4x4. Anyone else get this and does it eventually fade and wear itself out? I don't particularily want to bring the truck in for such a minor thing like that but in time it will probably bug me enough. What usually happens with such low miles?

Any other brake problems out there (besides the mysterious no brakes syndrome that some have had) ?

Thanks,

T

Old 10-15-2004, 12:06 PM
TRITON-ic
Senior User
Mine started squeeking around 500 miles. 5000+ now and they still do. My rotors started to groove very early on. The dealer said "That's normal wear".

That is not normal wear as far as my 25 years of driving proves.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
I am thinking of trying some disc brake quiet lube to see if it stops it. I will let you know if it holds up.

T

Old 10-15-2004, 05:18 PM
TX-Import
Junior User
Question

I have the squel on the front. To my knowledge Ford uses a break pad with a higher metallic content than most which makes them more prone to squel. Nesxt time you are at a light listen well and then you will see there are a lot of Fords that do it. you could swithch the pads or try these break backers whic are suppose to stop or quiet down the squel. They are suppose to go on the bak of your pads and dampen the vibration when you put on the brakes there by quieting them down. I do not know if they work, for I have never tried them but for 10-15 dollars it may be worth it just to see.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:26 PM
edman04
Senior User
Ford uses the worst brake pads in the auto industry on all of their vehicles. I noticed it during the late '90's. They produce a ton of brake dust, squeak/squeal and eat rotors. I had new pads, calipers and rotors replaced under warranty on my '02 Focus at 12,000 miles. They used better pads and the dust was cut down by 50% and the noise did not return. Make them fix it. It's not "normal" (exactly what the dealer will claim) to hear squeeking brakes on a new vehicle.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:35 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
TX-Import is right...the pads are very high metallic content. This not only leads to the dust issue, but they heat up quickly (and retain it), which could be a contributing factor to some people experiencing the rotors warping prematurely.

It would be interesting to see how rotors hold up long-term with 1) stock pads, or, 2) ceramic (or other mat'l) pads.

Old 10-16-2004, 07:22 AM
cruzer23
New User
Take it from me guys make em fix it now. They put new pads on my 04 scew @ 7800 miles, and @ 13000 the rotors were totally warped and had to be replaced. Keep in mind that the warranty on brakes is 12/12 so it cost me $400. Trust me not a happy camper!!

Old 10-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Thanks for the info Gents...

I will probably see if I can quiet it up some and then take it in if I get especially irritated. Right now I got bigger problems as my wife's Windstar got hit by an uninsured motorist while it was parked this weekend. The knucklehead asked if he could leave w/o a police report and just pay out of his pocket. Uh.......no.

T

Old 10-22-2004, 04:28 PM
packridge
New User
Thumbs up squealing brakes

Yup, on top of all the brake dust, I have that squeally brake sound coming from the rear. What is strange, is that it started on my 04 screw at about 1000 miles and stopped a few weeks later. Then last week, we took it on a two thousand mile round trip, and on the way back, it started again. I now have 4000 mile on vehicle and am thinking of having it looked at when I do the 5000 mile oil change. I also have what feels like something slipping in the rear when I accelerate( sometimes ), but that is for another thread !

Old 10-22-2004, 06:32 PM
padrote02
New User
I've had the same problem.

It started within a week after driving it off of the lot. I've had it in to two separate dealers for a combined 8 times. Initially they said there was no problem. Second time the grind the front rotors and pads, which worked for about three days. Third time they claimed to do the same to the rear. Again, worked for about three days. Fourth time they said that Ford engineers were re-designing the pads, but wouldn't have them for another year (this was over the summer). They advised that there was nothing they could do at this time.

I then take it to another dealer (where I bought the truck) and they replaced the front rotors and pads. This worked for about a week. I've taken it back twice since then and get the whole "we are re-designing the pads" story. I've been told to call back at the end of each month, for the past three months, to see if they have the "new" pads. I've contacted the Customer Service number in the owners manual to find out what is going on. They tell me that whatever the dealer says must be true, i.e. "we are completely worthless, don't bother calling again."

I've been told by four different people from the two service departments that mine is the only F150 that they have seen with this problem (this is after me arguing their claims that this is normal).

All of this leads me to questions that no one with Ford Motor Company seems to be able to answer:

If this is just my truck, why re-design the brakes?
If you are taking steps to re-design the brakes, why isn't there a recall?
If, indeed, this re-design is taking place, why doesn't anyone with the Customer Service Department know what is going on?
and finally...
When are they going to fix my truck?

I know many on this board will try to argue that this is normal and try to talk about the high metal content of the brakes, but I just cannot agree. My family has owned Fords as long as I can remember, yet none of the trucks have had these problems. So many others out there do not have this problem. However, mine continues to squeal and squeek, regardless if they grind the pads or rotors or even change them.

I realize that this is not a safety or functionality flaw, but it gets to be extremely irritating. It sounds like I'm driving a city bus at times. After months of agony dealing with service departments, it seems that the only solution I have is to pursue lemon law procedures to get a new truck (on grounds that it affects the market value of the vehicle).

By the way, I have a 2004 Scab, purchased in April, with 8200 miles.

Last edited by padrote02; 10-22-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Originally Posted by padrote02
I realize that this is not a safety or functionality flaw, but it gets to be extremely irritating. It sounds like I'm driving a city bus at times. After months of agony dealing with service departments, it seems that the only solution I have is to pursue lemon law procedures to get a new truck (on grounds that it affects the market value of the vehicle).

By the way, I have a 2004 Scab, purchased in April, with 8200 miles.
Interesting...sounds like your issues is far worse than mine. I hope mine does not develop into what you have. There is a light squeal that happens from the passenger rear wheel that occurs intermitently for me. It seems to do it more when it is cold and dry outside. Not sure if thats related or not. It has subsided somewhat in my opinion or perhaps I am getting used to it. In any event its not anything I would return the truck for or demand new rotors, pads etc. Perhaps if it got worse?? Thanks for the info though as I will watch out for developing symptoms. Keep us posted if there is a "fix" thrown your way eventually.

Best,

T

Old 10-23-2004, 01:05 PM
padrote02
New User
After I posted last night, it reminded me to call the dealer for an update. Spoke with the Service Manager about an hour ago and he advised that there are now several people with the same problems (F150 and Windstar). He said he did not know when the new brakes would be out, but that I was now on a "list" and would be called when they are available.

Don't know how much stock I put in this. But there's an update none-the-less.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:15 PM
kfx400_1124
Junior User
Warped rotars

There is a service bulletin out on trucks built before 11/18/2004 the number is (042611).
Originally Posted by cruzer23
Take it from me guys make em fix it now. They put new pads on my 04 scew @ 7800 miles, and @ 13000 the rotors were totally warped and had to be replaced. Keep in mind that the warranty on brakes is 12/12 so it cost me $400. Trust me not a happy camper!!

Old 08-08-2005, 07:14 PM
azfordowner
Senior User
truck - I have had the same issues on the past two lariats 4x4's, along with the warping of rotors. It is an inherent issue with the stock parts, not saying its not valid, but a solution thorugh a ford fix is most likely not going to happen. Mine wasn't (on two trucks).

Padrote - I feel for you, I went through your issues (twice). The latest TSB instructs the tech's to actually cut the updated rotors. Something the techs were instructed not to do previously. I'm not a mechanic, but I don't beleive this would help the situation.

Cruzer - If your truck was serviced for this issue under 12K, it should be covered if it resurfaced again within a certain period. I had 23k on my last truck and they still were replacing parts for this issue.

Here's the funny part, with all the problems I had, I'm still looking at an 06 as I really do like the truck. Aside for the brakes, it has been a good truck.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:15 AM
jdwheels
Senior User
I must have gotten lucky, My rotors were replaced for free, with 15,000 miles for the "warping". Sometimes you get lucky, I guess.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes