Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering column help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Crazz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking steering column help

ok, i no this is probably the stoopidest ? ever ask but
under the sterring colum on my 90 f150 there is a little **** sticking out. you can pull it or push it but it dont seem to do a thing, what is this ?
and no it isnt the 4way flashers lol
thanks

Old 10-15-2004, 07:07 AM
guzzler96
Elder User
Is it on the same side as the turn signal arm and spring loaded?? If it is, what its supposed to do, I think, is when you push down on the lever it allows you to remove the switch key. The lower actuator slides between a part of this bracket and a piece of the upper steering column casting. The lower actuator has a piece cast on to the end of it that would catch on this bracket. I don't honestly know if mine ever worked though and I bought my truck new in '90.

guzzler96

Old 10-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Crazz
Senior User
i was thinking the same, guess it just dont work ;p
yea its on the turn signal side and spring loaded,.
thanks for the reply

Old 10-15-2004, 05:44 PM
guzzler96
Elder User
Question

Have you ever had the steering column apart??? I am trying to get the pivot pins out so that I can replace a broken lower actuator and I can't seem to get them out?? Do you know how to get them out or know someone that has ever done this??

Thanks,
guzzler96

Old 10-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Crazz
Senior User
i think they make a tool for pulling the pins

Old 10-15-2004, 06:03 PM
guzzler96
Elder User
Arrow

Yeah I have the shop manual for the truck that I bought when I bought the truck. They show (2) tools in there, but the problem is finding them. Everytime I ever ask about any of these tools at a dealer they look funny and say they don't know about them.The pins are internally threaded and I have read some post that say screw #6 screws into the pivot pins with washers under the head and pry them out with a screwdriver. The problem with all this that I am having is getting the spring pressure off the pins so you can pull them out.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look here: http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...CAT501_pg8.htm

You may want to look further to see if it will fit your application.

Ed

Old 10-15-2004, 06:51 PM
guzzler96
Elder User
Thumbs up

Thanks Ed. That looks like that might work. The only thing I need to do is find out the correct way to get the spring pressure off. Don't know if I need to do this with the column in full up position,down position or what??? Also it says this works on Saginaw steering. How do I tell if that's what I have??

guzzler96

Last edited by guzzler96; 10-15-2004 at 06:57 PM. Reason: SP
Old 10-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't answer if we have a Saginaw or not. Just in case your manual isn't a Ford Service Publication, here is what the 1991 factory service manual states. I'll quote what it says for disassembling the the "Tilt Mechanism Upper Shaft, Bearing, and Flange Sub-Assembly.

"Service of the mechanism requires the steering column be removed from the vehicle and disassembled on the bench to remove the tilt mechanism.

Disassembly.
1. Remove the spring clips holding the wire bale which acts as a release lever for the locking lever. Remove the wire bale.

2. With a small drift, drive out the pin holding the lock lever. (just below the slot where one end of the bale wire goes into the mechanism casting--this discription is my own words). Remove the locking lever and spring. Use a C-clamp to relieve tension on the pin if necessary (not sure what they mean).

3. Remove the column upper shaft snap ring.

4. The upper and lower flange castings can now be seperated by removing the two pivot pins located in the side of the casting assembly with Pivot Pin Remover, T70P-3D739-A and Pivot Pin Remover Handle T67P-3D739-C or equivalent.

5. Do not use the pivot pins again if the press fit is loose in the lower flange.

(4 more steps noted for "Bearing or Upper Flange Service"--let me know if you need them)

Tilt Mechanism Assembly

1. Install the lower actuator with the ignition rod attached.

2. Install the upper and lower flange with the two pivot pins. Be sure the column position spring is properly seated between the upper and lower flange, and the wavy thrust washer is positioned properly between the lower flange and socket. Do not re-use loose pivot pins.

3. Install the column upper shaft snap ring.

4. Assemble the locking lever and spring, and insert the pin that holds the lever the tension on the pin if necessary. (not sure what they mean--but it shows a picture of a c-clamp pressing against one of the pivot pins on one side and against the flange on the opposite side)

5. Place the wire bale on the upper casting and install the spring clips that hold the bale in place."

It doesn't state that the tilt assembly has to be in a specific position --at least not from what I've read.

If my scanner program was working I would attach a copy of the illustration--sorry!

HTH, Ed

Old 10-16-2004, 06:51 AM
guzzler96
Elder User
Lightbulb

2. With a small drift, drive out the pin holding the lock lever. (just below the slot where one end of the bale wire goes into the mechanism casting--this discription is my own words). Remove the locking lever and spring. Use a C-clamp to relieve tension on the pin if necessary (not sure what they mean).

I have the shop manual printed by Helm for Ford, big as a phone book and $150 in 1990 when I bought it, but sometimes it takes someone else to jog something in the brain. The above quote from your post is what I was missing. When I went back and reread the manual I now see the part about removing the lock lever. I had already tried to compress the (2) casting parts with C-clamps, but failed to remove the lock lever pin. I will see if I can get that pin out and post back with results, one way or the other. This has defintely been an ongoing learning experience.

Thanks for the help,
guzzler96

Old 10-16-2004, 07:46 PM
guzzler96
Elder User
Thumbs up We Have Met The Enemy And He Is Ours

Well, I reread the instructions in the manual and believe it or it worked. I went this A.M. and bought a pivot pin remover. You do have to remove the Lock Lever for the tilt and then take a screwdriver, pry the spring out and then you can remove the pivot pins. I would suggest paying attention to the order in which you do things while taking apart and then do them in reverse during reassembly. Many thanks go out to Ed Bamba for prompting me to go back and read the manual again. Ed, buy yourself a beverage of your choice on me,man. This is not that difficult after you do one, but the first one is a BEATCH. Everything is back together and is working just like its supposed to.

There is a tremendous amount of knowledge available on this Forum and I for one think its great.

Thanks again,
guzzler96