1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Opinion - Rear Blocks vs. Rear Springs...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:20 AM
NewFordOwner
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift Opinion - Rear Blocks vs. Rear Springs...

Quick poll - I'm thinking of putting a 4" lift on my '05 F250 CC, and I've noticed that some systems come with a rear block for the lift, and others come with new rear springs. Is there a major difference? The truck is not used for major off-roading, just the occasional trip to hunting camp or to a fishing spot - it's mostly a daily driver that I use for towing my boat and snowmobiles, which is why I'm only looking at a 4" lift. Will the rear blocks adversely affect the ride? I wouldn't think so, since it has blocks back there right now from the factory (2"), but what 'advantage', if any, does the rear spring option offer? Just looking for some opinions one way or the other...

Old 10-12-2004, 12:38 PM
mattsf250
Elder User
on that size lift, your only looking at adding an additional 2" to the existing block, or swapping it out for a 4", and i do not believe it will make a huge difference either way....shocks will be key.

with a higher lift, it certainly does, i have very bad wheel hop from the spring wrapping up....they get all twisted out of shape due to the leverage on the spring from the blocks.... once i can afford it, ill be putting some good 6" lifted deaver springs on the back, and maybe even traction bars......it is just crazy how much it hops, talking driks flying out of the cup holders and hitting the headliner!

good luck!

Old 10-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
matts, I'm running a 6" lift with rear blocks, and I get zero vibration. I first bought my truck with the lift installed, but the carrier bearing wasn't shimmed at all. Once I found out the correct shim angle, it has been smooth ever since.

As far as I've seen, almost every 6" lift has an option of either spring or block lift for the rear. No rear track bar is available for these kits. I've asked and it seems that with only 6" there is no problems with axle wrap. They've told me that if that ever happens, to check for loose u-bolts or a block that is not seated correctly.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:35 PM
cwb
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pocket
I've asked and it seems that with only 6" there is no problems with axle wrap.
Right.

Just in case you are just un-informed and not actually dumb, you can have axle wrap on a stock setup. Fyi,of course.ymmv.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:08 PM
NewFordOwner
Junior User
Axle Wrap?

What exactly is axle wrap (I hope I'm just uninformed, not dumb...)

Is it where the torque for turning the wheel wants to turn the axle housing as opposed to the wheel itself, due to resistance at the wheel contact surface?

If that's the case, it would seem that eventually, after repeated 'wrapping', the axle housing would loosen up and start 'flopping' around, which would be clearly detrimental to performance...

Just looking for a little ed-u-ma-cation here...

Old 10-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Kadukoboy
Senior User
not the axle housing but the leaf spring

Go SPRING!

...........Naw if you like the stock ride -go blocks

if u actually use the lift how it is intended -then get springs

Blocks will suffice in most scenarios.....there are some bad stories of everything from bad axle wrap to blocks falling out when on the trails.

Old 10-12-2004, 03:21 PM
mattsf250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pocket
matts, I'm running a 6" lift with rear blocks, and I get zero vibration. I first bought my truck with the lift installed, but the carrier bearing wasn't shimmed at all. Once I found out the correct shim angle, it has been smooth ever since.

As far as I've seen, almost every 6" lift has an option of either spring or block lift for the rear. No rear track bar is available for these kits. I've asked and it seems that with only 6" there is no problems with axle wrap. They've told me that if that ever happens, to check for loose u-bolts or a block that is not seated correctly.
pocket...............

what i am talking about is axle wrap induced wheel hop...... stock they do it, all of them with enough power to spin the tires anyway.....even when they do not spin, you get the takeoff vibration, minor, but it is there....now, if you have a truck with POWA, powerbrake it till the wheels spin, on DRY asphalt....if the rear tires bounce and shake the heck out of you and the truck, you have wheel hop, and it is caused by axle wrap. even if you have springs, and no blocks.
ohh, and my truck is a S/C-SB and thus, has NO carrier bearing....

Old 10-12-2004, 04:06 PM
HDCarl
Freshman User
My 02' CC LB PS F350 is stock and suffers horrible rear axle hop even in just a few inches of snow. I've always attributed it to the 4" blocks in the rear. I couldn't believe Ford even used those. I wouldn't even consider a lift with blocks. If I weren't trading in on an '05 I'd replace the rear springs with 4" higher and throw the stock blocks away.

HDCarl