ranger 5 speed auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 05:36 AM
SVTRanger
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ranger 5 speed auto trans

has anyone came across any problem with the 5 speed auto in the 2003 rangers? i have a 03 ranger 4x4 with the 4.0l and the 5 speed auto trans. When i start the truck up and put it in gear, when you go to move it slips for a second then wont do it agian does it in all gear forward and reverse.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:35 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my 2002 Ranger at the dealer last week for tranny problmes, 5r55e with 28k miles. I had slipping, also had a long delay when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. The dealer replaced a blown gasket, seperator plate, and the valvebody, no improvement. Pulled the tranny apart, found nothing wrong. put it back together and it wasn't slipping anymore, but still had the delayed shift. The tech put a scantool on to manually shift and it shifted fine, took the scantool off and it shifted fine. They gave me the truck back and said they don't know.

The gasket and seperator plate, which aparently have to be replaced together, seem to be a common problem with this tranny. A search will find a fair number of people who have had problems, but there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming majority to make me lose any sleep.

HTH
Brian