Sponsored by:

where to mount cb antenna

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Outlawwv
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to mount cb antenna

i am going to put a cb in my 93 and was wondering wheresome of you may have mounted a cb antenna. i thought about mounting it to the spare tire rack' but then where would i run the coax in? i have saw some pickups with it mounted on front fender with a bracket inside hood but haven't been able to find one. what do you all think?

Old 10-10-2004, 09:22 PM
FBB93
Junior User
When I bought my bronco it had the mount from the antenna still on the spare tire mount so I know it can work there, but all wiring and everything had been taken out, so I dont know the you should run it in.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:22 PM
1bad67cat
Freshman User
mount it on your mirror.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:40 AM
fcarruth
Elder User
I actually have one of the ones that mount on the glass and love it. My cable is routed to the passenger side rear part of the window and then the antenna sticks to the outside of the window opposite the cable. I've had it like this for over 5 years and still holding and working great.

Good luck,

Old 10-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Outlawwv
Senior User
i'll check on glass mount -- never thought about that -- thanks
no way to mount it to the mirrors on mine

Old 10-12-2004, 05:20 PM
johnnyroastbeef
Junior User
I mounted mine to the corner of the rear bumper with a little bracket i bought at a truck stop. I ran the wire through the tailgate and under the rubber mat to the front of the cab. looks sweet!!

Old 10-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Blue'87GT
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnnyroastbeef
I mounted mine to the corner of the rear bumper with a little bracket i bought at a truck stop. I ran the wire through the tailgate and under the rubber mat to the front of the cab. looks sweet!!
That's what I have seen done many times too.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:17 PM
bossind
Elder User
Best location for CB coverage is center top of Cab Roof. K40 antenna (one of the best) works great in this location, good ground plain. and also has quick turn release so you can remove it. One of the worst types of antenna to run is the dual trucker antenna, makes you very directional, forward and rearward. Nessary for Big rigs because the rig would block the signal to one side, thus the need for another antenna on the other side. A proper CD antanna should be 102" long to get the proper wave length but that isn'r pratical for most, so whips are cuy shorter with a coil load added, the coil load helps fool the CB to think it has the proper length antenna or SWR, so the shorter the antenna the larger the coil load the weaker the signal. And always tune your antenna with an SWR meter.

So if you want really good coverage try the K40, its an amazing antenna. Check out K40.com for more info.

Last edited by bossind; 10-12-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Outlawwv
Senior User
what about mashing the coax in the tailgate and breaking the wire?
where did you run the wire in with the roof mount?

Old 10-12-2004, 08:45 PM
bossind
Elder User
It mounts through the roof, ran the coax under the head liner. take a look at the k40.com site and you can see how this installs.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:17 AM
johnnyroastbeef
Junior User
i ran the cable through the bottom of the tailgate but fed it under the rubber molding so it wouldn't get smashed. and those tailgates aren't exactly air tight so there is plenty of room in the seal to accept that size cable.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:55 PM
thenewjohndeere
Junior User
Hey bud, i mounted mine to my tire rack and ran the cable through the top of my passanger side taillight ... i think i gotta pic in my profile, if your trying to be pretty, you might drill a hole in the tire rack tubing and run it that way w/ a little extra hanging our near the hing

Old 01-19-2006, 08:56 PM
PilotRob
Elder User
Taking a hint from my "office," I'd agree that the roof is the best place. The least amount of interference from anything is up there. That's why we mount aircraft antennea on the top and bottom, rather than the sides.

Just make sure that you seal the hole in the roof. The '93 I just bought has an antenna up there ... and it leaks into my dome light. Gonna have to fix that ASAP.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:23 PM
thenewjohndeere
Junior User
the roof is good, but depending where you live parking decks get in the way ... with it mounted on the back tire rack you can fold it down out of the way

Old 01-19-2006, 11:08 PM
JetBlackBronco
Senior User
or trees.....i have my cb antenna mounted on a 6 inch square of aluminum sheet, screwed to the tire rack, i get great reception, and it dosnt get knocked off when i go 4 wheeling. BUT...my scanner antenna is a mag-mount on the roof, and i hafta take it down to go in the woods....or the car wash. i would say the tire rack is the best place

Quick Reply: where to mount cb antenna