Which is Better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Crash!
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prostreetf100
hey crash i copied this from your other post. anyone that question your respons to low end with procharger should read this. i have also installed these on trucks and they work great. the keene bells have great low end but max out qiuckly compared to the centrifugal blowers. i have driven vehicles with the kenne bell and it was not as impressive as the centrifugal i have driven. im not saying that the kenne bell is a bad blower just not my first choice. http://www.procharger.com/TRUCK_SUV/truck_suv.shtml.
First, if you are going to drag info from another thread, keep it in context by posting a link to the thread.

What is your point? I do not support non-intercooled kits (Or the Boost a Pump), and if you are going to quote me on something, quote me on THAT. If you had read the thousands of posts on other sites, I do NOT recommend this kit, because I get calls on how to make more power with it all the time.

I would not buy one, but I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings because they spent $4k on a blower only to get spanked by a cheaper blower (Or NO blower, evidenced on video), and no risk of killing fuel pumps by spiking 17v to a 12v pump. In addition, I said BLOWER, not SYSTEM!

Hell, spend $4500 on a turbocharger and decimate all. I did (After owning a Magnacharger, Procharger two seperate kits, and now the turbo)! And yes, we have installed every other brand, save the Holley. We have raced them against our Procharged trucks along the way. And nothing in production for our trucks out there is more powerful than this setup... Running 12s in cool weather, and WAXing C-5s from 70-150!

The two most powerful *NON-Lightning* F-150s (Modular engines) out there...

www.trixtersracing.com/project02.htm
www.trixtersracing.com/turbotime.htm

Mine: Project 02 (Un-Naturally aspirated 4.6 5-speed)...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/Trixter/apurple000312.jpg

8 PSI= 388/428
16 PSI= 488/542

Mark's: Project TURBO SCREW (Un-Naturally aspirated 5.4 L automatic)...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/Trixter/apurple000312.jpg

8-PSI= 425/535 at the wheels. Stock engine, so no boost increase. Just the base kit, no spray either!

Last edited by Crash!; 10-11-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Crash!
Junior User
Just went back through this thread, and realized the above post was REDUNDANT. All the information I posted above is race or dyno proven.

If you want positive displacement, go Allen until Whipple comes out with their kits. Plan on spending $4000 for the Allen, and $5500 for the Whipple, and next to the turbo, you would still lose the race. If you want to win races and have wicked top end, go turbo.

Procharger GUARANTEES a 5 MPH higher trap speed in the 1/4 (4 blocks) over ANY other kit or your money plus install money back!

Old 10-11-2004, 03:09 PM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
Ok. I don't need a top speed. I do have police cruisers around here. I want to be able to haul more. Low end is the most important thing to me. I'm continually working on my house, so hauling lots of gravel, dirt, wood, and I have 2 fourwheelers, all that is weight that must be moved. My trucks already a tow packaged machine, but I need some more take off power. If you cant get the machine movin, top end is **** all.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:04 PM
prostreetf100
New User
hey crash no need to get upset. i was not trying to qoute you or anything. i am fairly new to posting and am not sure how to carry a quote to another thread. i just thought it was a good article for people to see. sorry if that made you mad. no harm intended.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:10 AM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 97ford281
Ok. I don't need a top speed. I do have police cruisers around here. I want to be able to haul more. Low end is the most important thing to me. I'm continually working on my house, so hauling lots of gravel, dirt, wood, and I have 2 fourwheelers, all that is weight that must be moved. My trucks already a tow packaged machine, but I need some more take off power. If you cant get the machine movin, top end is **** all.
You can haul with a Centrif...I drive my intercooled Vortech'd 94 L to and from the track and everywhere in between. It doesn't neccessarily have to produce boost to be making more power...it is still moving air to feed your motor. One of the things you want to consider when choosing a kit is HP/CFM levels. If you think you might get a little wild with it later on down the road, then you want one that will support it, since these things aren't cheap. Most people say "all I want is a mild application to do a little towing/hauling etc.....", of course that's how it starts. That is why I say to choose one that will support future mods. If you're set on the KB then I wouldn't put anything less than a 2.2L on it (I don't think they make a kit that is smaller than it anyway) to feed a V8. Otherwise a Vortech SQ, ProCharger P1 or a Novi 2000 would be an excellent choice. I like the P-1 kit because it comes with an intercooler, and the unit is self contained (no oil pan tapping needed).

Old 10-12-2004, 09:07 AM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
That;s one big reason I liked the Twin screws- No oil pan tapping. If I did get a centrifugal, and I set it for low end, would it keep boosting right up to red line?

Old 10-12-2004, 10:54 AM
prostreetf100
New User
i need to appologize to crash. i re-read my post that i said i copied and it was totaly wrong. i was only trying to say i copied the link to the procharger page. the rest of what i wrote were my feelings and experience of dealing with thse different models. sorry again for the misunderstanding. next time i will pay more attention to how i word stuff.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Blurry94
That;s one big reason I liked the Twin screws- No oil pan tapping. If I did get a centrifugal, and I set it for low end, would it keep boosting right up to red line?
Yes, it will keep increasing. This is part of a previous post I entered in this thread:

Originally Posted by Blurry94
Some of the advatages the centrifs have is that there is more cooling options for them, and they ride on their own belt instead of the using the same belt as the engine accessories, which can result in accelerated belt wear and excessive slippage. A centrif will give you more belt/pulley options such as a Renegade 8 rib(and even 10 rib) setup which is what I am running now.
Also, with a centrif, you can drive your rig should you ever throw a belt (I actually had to do this once).
In the end, it's not about which is the end all, be all blower on the market. It's more so about the best blower for your application.
The KB produces great HP/TQ down low and the centrifs can be pulley'd to make the same power down low as well. However, if you do that with a centrif, then you better have the fuel system and a good tune to support the boost and power it's going to make at higher RPM's, otherwise you will be back on here talking to us about engine rebuilds.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Eric Brooks
For all around power for a street truck, go with a positive displacement blower, like the Kenne Bell. Centrifugals are more suited for race cars, street/strip cars.

The KB is a simple install, and requires no tapping of the oilpan.

Procharger is plagued with quality control problems, leaky blower seals, etc.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:23 PM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
how about if i just took an old vacuum motor and hooked up a relief valve to relieve at 9 psi?

Old 10-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Blurry94
how about if i just took an old vacuum motor and hooked up a relief valve to relieve at 9 psi?
LOL...Git 'er Duuuunn!!!

Old 10-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Crash!
Junior User
In 6 years, I have seen nothing but idlers fail on the Procharger systems. The Allen, Whipple and Procharger are the best out there.

I don't even mention KB or Vortech. Blah.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Crash!
Junior User
Originally Posted by prostreetf100
hey crash no need to get upset. i was not trying to qoute you or anything. i am fairly new to posting and am not sure how to carry a quote to another thread. i just thought it was a good article for people to see. sorry if that made you mad. no harm intended.
No, not a big deal at all. I just have to keep things in context. There is a reason I do not support Vortech or KB. Neither are intercooled, and you have to tap the oil pan on the other.

Trust me, I have owned, installed, or raced all the available brands, save the Holley. I know what works, and what doesn't. The KB for example... On a similar vehicle, would you be happy if you spent $4K on a blower and got beat by another WITHOUT a blower? In fact, I have this same sceneario on video, and the only power adder I had was a K&N filter... The difference? 5-speed vs Auto! 1.2 seconds quicker on a like equipped vehicle!

Old 10-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Blurry94
Originally Posted by Crash!
I don't even mention KB or Vortech. Blah.
I find it odd that you'd say that considering how many trucks are making lots of power and running 12's and 11's with just an SQ. A some of these people have put well over 40K miles on them without any problems and most are running stock rotating assemblies and some with the stock motor with larger injectors, pumps, etc... I agree that the P-1 is a better unit, but the SQ is far from being a poor choice, and It's alot better than a BD-11 or XB-1A.
There is a company out of Ohio that made custom mouting kits for centrifiguals and they did plenty of testing and found the SQ, P-1 and Novi 2000 to be able to support many street/strip applications, and they were all well under $4k.
These tests were performed on trucks only.

Old 10-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Eric Brooks
I don't doubt you have been working on performance vehicles for years, but to make a statement like you did makes you come across as very close minded. What about the numerous vehicles at the track running Vortechs with no intercooler, and a blower (S trim) which is rated way smaller (CFM) than all the units by Procharger, and still run faster?

Prochargers require an intercooler because the blower is inefficient and blows hot air. A Vortech can get away without running an intercooler.

Quick Reply: Which is Better?