No "Flowmaster Tone" after removing cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No "Flowmaster Tone" after removing cat

I have a 3.0" SI to 2.5" DO with a 40 series Original Flowmaster. I removed one of my cats and replaced it with a straight pipe thinking that would give me a better sound. The exhaust is still WAY too quiet and a lot quieter than other trucks around town. What am I doing wrong? Are the factory Y-pipe and that first cat really deadening the sound that much or do I need to go to true duals to get the sound I am looking for? I really don't need it much louder I just want a lot more of that "Flowmaster tone" like I hear on a lot of other vehicles that mine lacks. I got the 40 series specifically for that and can not barely hear it at all unless I am squatting with my ear to the muffler. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 10-06-2004, 07:43 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
If it is at all possible, I would get rid of the other cat, and buy one free flow cat. I would also cut out the stock y-pipe and get a nice low-angled free flowing one.

-Matt

Old 10-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
Originally Posted by MatthewC
If it is at all possible, I would get rid of the other cat, and buy one free flow cat. I would also cut out the stock y-pipe and get a nice low-angled free flowing one.

-Matt
And you honestly think that is going to make a noticeable sound difference? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:00 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
I really think that they would make quite a difference. The free flow cat would be like not having one on at all. The stock Y pipes look more like T pipes, at least on my truck. Just my opinion, others may chime in as well.

-Matt

Old 10-07-2004, 02:35 AM
Monty06
Posting Guru
sound from flowmaster

what you need to do is go dual get yourself a delta flow 40 series
and take out cat then go from stock y to 40 then dual out to get that nice big block sound you want

Old 10-07-2004, 03:40 AM
kens64
Posting Guru
Get headers and a high flow Y pipe. Usually gets you a lot more sound. Put better flowing cats in the stock places.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
I already have headers and the original 40 series is supposed to be substantially louder than the delta flow. I already have basically the same setup you described, Y pipe to 40 series with dual outlets.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Redbob
Senior User
That "Flowmaster tone" you're talking about comes from two different out-of-phase noise sources running at the same frequency (rpm), so you can't get it with a Y-pipe and a single outlet pipe.
Your best overall sound, a rumble without excessive noise levels, would come with a true dual system but with a crossover ('H') pipe either about one-third of the distance back from the manifolds or two-thirds of the distance back. The crossover pipe doesn't need to be as big as the system piping; for example, a 2.5" system would work fine with a 2" or 2.25" crossover.
- R

Old 10-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Chippa
Junior User
Hey wakeboarder, did you notice an increase in power when you took that cat out?

Old 10-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
Originally Posted by Redbob
That "Flowmaster tone" you're talking about comes from two different out-of-phase noise sources running at the same frequency (rpm), so you can't get it with a Y-pipe and a single outlet pipe.
Your best overall sound, a rumble without excessive noise levels, would come with a true dual system but with a crossover ('H') pipe either about one-third of the distance back from the manifolds or two-thirds of the distance back. The crossover pipe doesn't need to be as big as the system piping; for example, a 2.5" system would work fine with a 2" or 2.25" crossover.
- R
So basically that means I will never get that tone unless I spend the money on true duals?

Originally Posted by Chippa
Hey wakeboarder, did you notice an increase in power when you took that cat out?
I still have one cat, but I didn't really notice any difference in power or sound from removing the one cat.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Redbob
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wakeboarder141
So basically that means I will never get that tone unless I spend the money on true duals?.
Yes.

I still have one cat, but I didn't really notice any difference in power or sound from removing the one cat.
Not too surprising, since that's not a race engine ya got there, and there's not really a huge amount of HP lost to exhaust backpressure.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
That is very dissapointing considering I spent a good amount of money on the cat back exhaust portion of my exhaust which will basically be going to waste if I have to switch to true duals. I find it hard to believe that all the trucks I hear around town have true duals, but I guess anything is possible.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:15 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
Thats just plain wrong, guys. Sure, theres nothing like the sound of true duals, but I have seen and heard dozens of single to dual exhausts that were pretty potent. Hell, ive heard single exhausts that sounded downright mean. You CAN get the sound you want (or damn near close) with some mods to your existing exhaust. Cut out the cat. Put in a high flow y pipe. Buy some Summit shorty headers. There. Cheap, cheap, cheap, and you will be very happy. Dont get yourself down thinking you spent your hard earned money for nothing. You can make it work.

-Matt

Old 10-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Wakeboarder141
Elder User
I already have Bassani headers and removed one cat. I was planning on getting a high flow Y pipe anyways, but I was just worried it was not going to give me any more sound and I am wasting my money if I am going to have to do it anyways.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:53 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
You wouldnt be wasting money by getting the new y pipe anyways.

-Matt

Quick Reply: No "Flowmaster Tone" after removing cat