Bronco II Ford Bronco II

air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 10:11 PM
babybroncoii
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air conditioning

i just found out today that i need to replace the discharge hose for my air conditioning because of a leak on my 88 bronco ii. i have already leaked out the r-12, but i am looking to convert the system to r-134a. i have already bought a kit and it comes with the cans and the oil to do it. the problem is that it says to flush out the system with an air compressor. i have an air compressor but i haven't quite figured out where to hook this up to to run all of the r-12 out of the system. has anyone else done this change from r-12 to r-134a? since i live in arizona where it is a million degrees outside, any help would be greatly appreciated right away. thanks

george

Old 06-01-2001, 10:25 AM
whomrig
Elder User
air conditioning

Hi George, this job will require replacing the receiver/drier (this is a must) and doing a vacuum or evacuation on the system with a pump made for this. The system has to be "pumped down" to 30" of merc if possible. It has been 17 years since I have recharged an a/c and I had access to the evac/charging station at that time. Best of luck on your job.

Wayne
http://home.pacbell.net/whomrig

Old 06-17-2001, 01:50 AM
babybroncoii
Junior User
air conditioning

just in case anybody wanted to know, i pulled the discharge hose that had a hole in it in my 88 bronco ii, and r12 shot all over the place. i wouldn't recommend it considering it is pretty bad for the environment, but all i did was push r134 into the system along with some of that compressor oil (it all comes in a kit at autozone), and my air works great. i read the instructions in the kit and i was going to replace the drier, but it doesn't say anything about it, and i was so mad at my truck for losing the air conditioning in the first place that i just decided to do it. anyone that is thinking about this conversion, it is really easy. good luck

Old 06-22-2001, 04:02 PM
Quang
New User
air conditioning

Did you evacuate the system at all or you just injected in some R134a gas?

--
Quang
89 Bronco II

Old 06-25-2001, 12:11 PM
babybroncoii
Junior User
air conditioning

well there was a hole in my discharge hose. i assumed the system was empty and went to replace my discharge hose when r12 sprayed all over me. then i just put on the new hose, filled it up with two cans of r134, a can of the compressor oil, and the rest with r134 and that was it. i didn't flush the system or anything.

Old 06-26-2001, 05:52 PM
Quang
New User
air conditioning

Interesting. Usually when your system is opened up moister gets into it so you need to evacuate it to near 30" of mercury before pumping in new gas. That's what I've been told anyway.

--
Quang

Old 06-30-2001, 02:20 AM
babybroncoii
Junior User
air conditioning

i didn't say that i did it right, but it works awesome. i can imagine that the moisture might play a little bit of a problem but i live in arizona where the humidity is about .1%. also the engine compartment is so hot that it should evaporate all of the moisture that could get in there. it hadn't rained in arizona the whole time i had this hole in my discharge house.

Old 07-25-2001, 08:28 PM
TowerMaster
Freshman User
air conditioning

I had my 87 changed over about three years ago,And its still pumping 40 degrees at the vents! But I did fully evacuate the system, R-12 and R-134 DO NOT MIX. Its like having acid in the lines. And I used all the original parts...

Old 07-26-2001, 09:56 PM
pee wee
Freshman User
air conditioning