Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Auxilary Fuel Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:19 AM
rjwood5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxilary Fuel Tanks

Does anyone have any experience with aux fuel tanks? I would like to extend my range on a 99 PSD and have seen ads for tanks that mount in the bed and flow to the regular tank. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:24 AM
bilder12
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a 80 gal fuel tank in the bed. ran 3/8 line with filter in it to small 12 volt napa fuel pump, with inline selector switch. all electrical was controlled from cab. I needed the selector switch to prevent siphoning, which would overfill the service tank. I could then run down the road, while refueling. If you wish I can dig out the unit and try to get part numbers. And if I am clever enough, I can get a picture for you. I am basically a hammer and torch kinda guy - electronics is not my game. Bill

Old 10-01-2004, 07:51 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
I use the Transfer Flow in bed tank. They have several capacities available from 30 to 98 gallon. I ended up buying the 98 gallon tank. It has a small processor that comes with it and transfers the fuel from the aux tank to the main tank on the truck without any need for driver input. Just fill it up and the rest is taken care of. They have a small display that tells you how much fuel is in each tank and a running total of the two. I couldn't be happier with it. Last time I was out on vacation, I filled up at a station in far southeastern Idaho and drove all the way home to Seattle, WA without filling up. It took me two full days of driving. A distance of about 1000 miles. I still had 30 gallons total fuel left.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Also installation on the Super duty's PSD is real easy. There is a third outlet on the sender for the main tank that makes a real handy place to feed the fuel into from the auxiliary tank. There are rollover valves on both tanks that allow venting of pressures so you don't need to worry about that either.