Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel injector cleaning

Old 02-03-2002, 05:01 PM
jaymack
New User
fuel injector cleaning

every other year or so I put the BII into the dealership for a tune up - and they tag me approx. $100 for an "injector service" so I said to the guy be careful with the valve covers, if you don't get them just right they leak like crazy - he tells me that they do not remove the valve covers to do the injector service,they hook up something (cleaner bottle??) to the system and run it thru. $100 bucks for that??? sheesh - so I'm thinking, how hard can this be? does anyone out there know how this is done? I put some stuff into the gas tank now and again, but ?? got to get the little truck thru the air inspection soon, and I don't have a lot of $$ to spend on it. BTW I never did get the V/C's to stop leaking, so I put some liquid rubber around the outside of them - it worked, but ?? its gonna be fun next time they have to come off....

thanks

Mac

Old 02-04-2002, 11:16 AM
bluestang65
Tuned
fuel injector cleaning

Well, I worked for Jiffy Lube for one year. They have an injector service that ran 49.99 in 1999 that was simply a bottle that they hooked up to a vaccuum line and let the engine suck it all in. It worked pretty well, but as you can imagine, the only service to the injectors was the cleaner that rushed by as the engine sucked the air from the vaccuum system. I seriously doubt that a dealership or any service establishment is going to pull out and clean your injectors for $100. My guess is that they are simply running some kind of cleaner through the system via the fuel tank or a vaccuum line.

Old 02-04-2002, 10:02 PM
destiny88
Junior User
fuel injector cleaning

I know the system we use at work is around that price. What we do is take the fuel lines of the injector rail. The return and supply line are hooked together with special adapters. Then there is special adapters that hook to the rail. There is a macine that then pumps cleaner in the supply, through the rail and all around the injectors, the cleaner exits the rail through the return line then back to the machine where it is filtered, then back to the rail. This goes on for 15 minutes. Once this is over the machine is restarted then the vehicle is started and let idle for 30 minutes, while it is runnig off the cleaner. The vehicles fuel pump is just pumping the gas up to the return then back to the tank. I have noticed a difference on my own ranger and other vehicles that I have used it on. The machine has a vacum guage on it and most times when you are done the vacum will be a bit better, because it cleans the valves to. The machine is made by Snap-on, they claim it cleans the o2 sensor too. I have had vehicles that failed emissions by a little, ran them on the machine then they passed. The process is not cheap because the machine alone is over 5000.00 dallors (canadian) and it takes at least a hour to do. The chemical is expensive to. The cleaner you put in the fuel tank is OK. The reason the stuff that we use is better is because it is stronger and more coarse. This is why the vehicles fuel pumps are not used in this process. The stuff is like emory cloth in a can so it will sand all the carbon off the injector pintles and nozzles. This sanding effect is not good for the pumps. Hope this helped!