Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Z06 vs. Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Famous Amos
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z06 vs. Mustang

I am about to get a new car. I love the Corvette Z06. However, my grandfather is a retiree from a Ford plant, so if I get a Ford I can get a pretty good discount. Any suggestions on a good Ford car to get? Or should I get a Z06?

Old 09-30-2004, 01:37 AM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the mustang roush stage 3 package or svt cobra i think they both have the 4.6 supercharged engine fast is all i can say or the
ford GT or GT 50 i cant remember which it was it was about $150,000 car

Old 09-30-2004, 02:22 AM
f250rangerexplorer
Posting Guru
wait for the 06 mustang. they are even faster and more hyped up than these. if i were you i would wait if i could. dunno your situation.

Drive It Like You Stole It!!!

Old 09-30-2004, 03:18 AM
Gunsmoke460
Senior User
i had an 87 mustang and i loved it. i want another one some day, but the corvette is a completely different car in a different class. i personally would wait and get an 05 mustang because i think they look awesome and are going to be better than the current one and also have an improved version of the current 4.6. now if you want a super fast car and you want to worry about a $50k car all the time get a corvette, but you cant find all the different bolt ons for the new vettes like you can a mustang, you dont have the lower price of a mustang, not to mention you will be getting a deal anyways, COPS will be a major problem, thats why you dont see corvette drivers out of the slow lane like you do stangs(INSURANCE). worst of all, you are buying a chevrolet product. now i do like some chevys im not completely biased but Ford is #1!

and remember it aint Found On Road Dead, its First On Race Day! :-

Old 09-30-2004, 06:30 AM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
I think the new Corvette was styled really well, but I'd agree, it's a completely different class of automobile. If you're at all young, I wouldn't recommend driving one. Although it seems like a perfectly good option for retirement... except that it's still a Chevy... I prefer Mustangs to Corvettes any day. Oh, another thing... the 07 Cobra is supposed to rock (so I've heard)... by then I'll be old enough for an insurance rate drop and full time engineering job, and the A-plan! You'd have to wait a little bit (probably) to get the discount on a new Mustang anyway... why not wait for the new Cobra?

Old 09-30-2004, 07:01 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I think the Corvette looks so much like a Nissan; they should nock off at least 20k maybe 25K sell it as an economy car

Old 09-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Famous Amos
New User
I am 21. I have found several used 2004 Z06s with about 1500 miles on them for $40,000. I think for the money, I will get more performance out of the Z06 than the Mustang. I wish I could get the GT, but I don't have $150,000 to drop on a car right now. I will be paying about the same insurance whether I get a new Z06 or a new Mustang.

I am not really familiar with the performance of the Mustang, so if anyone could let me know I would appreciate it. I know the Z06 has 405hp and is pretty damn fast.

I have had Fords all my life, and I love them (Ranger, F250, Excursion)! I just think that Ford does a terrible job in the sports car market. They have great SUVs and pick-up trucks, but they have a horrendous line on sports cars.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:22 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
For price per performance dollar, there is nothing out there that can touch a 03 Cobra. Just by simply changing to a smaller supercharger pulley and exhaust upgrades you are looking at close to 500 hp at the flywheel. I've owned 2 5.0L mustangs and they have been the best 2 cars I've every owned. ( I also owned an IROC and GTA). The only down side to the cobra's is that anyone with a 99 and up Mustang can make their cars look like a cobra while chevy has left the corvette distinct looking. It's a personal choice, if I had the money, I would have both!

Old 09-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Famous Amos
New User
I just hate the look of Mustangs. The main reason for getting the car is not to get the fastest car out there, but rather a very nice looking car that not many people have that is also fast. I considered getting a Lotus Elise, but trying to get one of them is nearly impossible. A Z06 is a very nice looking car, is fast, and not many people have one. For $15,000 you can get a Lingenfelter kit that gives it about 600hp. I don't really have the money to do that though.

Everyone and their mom has a Mustang. Hardly anyone has a Z06. I test drove a Z06 last month, and boy did it sound nice.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:53 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
I agree there is way to many Mustangs out there. I hope Ford tries to seperate the cobras from the mustangs with the new body style. I think Ford has one of the best and only good line of sports cars out there of the "big three" auto companies. Chevy only has the vette, camaro to be coming soon, pontiac has the GTO. Just a glorified firebird in my opinion. Even though dodge has the viper and SRT10, they are both exclusive vehicles with their high price tags. Ford's SVT division has been sucessful for the past 10 years in selling some of the best sports cars and trucks out there. ( just my opinion again ) Sorry to be long winded. Just curious, what did the Lotus price out at?

Old 09-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Famous Amos
New User
The Lotus Elise is $39,000, and adding the options to it makes it about $45,000. However, waiting lists are about a year long, and even at that many people are forced to pay a premium to get it, meaning they have to pay a few thousand just for the rights to buy the car. On Ebay people are selling Elises for about $50,000. They are really nice looking cars, but I am still in college and will be going to law school, so having a Lotus is very impractical. No room at all, expensive to work on, and definitely not an everyday car. At least a Z06 has more room and is domestic, so it isn't hard to find someone to work on it.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:57 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
I've always taken a liking to the Lotus Esprits. Someday.................. I'm surprised that the Lotus is actually pretty reasonably priced. (for a Lotus) For what you are looking for in a sports car I think you should definitly go for the Vette. Keep it Americian is my view!

Old 09-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Famous Amos
New User
Yea, I love the Lotus' as well. The Elise is much more reasonable, due to its low price and still high performance. However, with only 2000 being sent to the US, it is nearly impossible to get one, and impossible to get one at its MSRP. The Esprits are nice as well, but I think they stopped making them. You can buy used 1999 or 2000 Esprits for around $40,000 or $45,000. Would you suggest getting one of them or stick with a Z06?

Old 09-30-2004, 12:13 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Depending on what you can get for $40,000 to $50,000 for both. I'm sure you can get a basically new Vette for this price while the Esprit might be alittle older with more miles. It would definitely be a hard decision if I ever had that opportunity. Both are wicked street cars.

Old 09-30-2004, 12:46 PM
77fordguy
Senior User
I have never liked Corvette's, but the zo6 my buddy has is pretty nice. Given the choice of a cobra or a zo6 - I don't know. The history goes to the vette as does the looks and performance. But there is something about driving a cobra that feels really good, maybe it's the supercharger. Both are descent daily drivers and both can be made very fast, although the cobra will be a lot cheaper in the long run, and just as fast with mods. it's a very personal question, but how I feel driving is worth more than the looks I will get by having a vette, I vote mustang Cobra.

Quick Reply: Z06 vs. Mustang