Sponsored by:

solid axle questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:34 AM
slipjoint
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solid axle questions

I found a solid 44 and 9" and transfer case and linkage from a 79 Bronco that I will go down to pickup today or tomorrow, anything besides the obvious to look out for (bent tubes, locked shafts, etc). I've been thinking of a sas for a long term project and am still not 100% if it's for me, but thought I could pick these up and move them later if I change my mind. It's no killer deal at $450 but all I have to do is show up there already pulled, everything is there on both from brake to brake with radius arms, trac bar, and steering and I have haven't found anything cheaper at junkyards, I'll definetely go ahead with rebuilding the 9" to have ready when my 8.8 goes (I don't care about the rear ABS)

Old 09-29-2004, 11:39 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
$450 is pretty clean, IMO! you can't hardly find a sold D44 for that anymore! not to mentoin you are getting a 9" rear and a t-case.

just look for anything obvious that stands out like large leaks, gouges, bends, etc. make sure the t-case shifts not hard but it shouldn't slip either. if the brakes aren't locked up trying turning the axles to see if they will turn by hand. make sure the pinion nuts are tight. make sure everything is there before you leave or you may not ever see it, since you paid for it and all

-cutts-

Old 09-29-2004, 01:38 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
one added note to look at check to see if it they have any fluid in them, if they have been emptied they could be rusted inside, or could be broke, and someone just put them back together, and left it

Old 09-30-2004, 06:52 PM
Rifleman7.62
Senior User
I'd say thats a hell of a deal! Out of that 79 its likely that t-case is a 205. You got a steal man.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:52 PM
slipjoint
Freshman User
Well I guess we'll see how much of a deal it is.
The good news is the 44 is pretty clean with new warn standard hubs no oil leaks, pinion appears tight, and new u-joints, polyureathane trac bar bushings, and a relatively fresh coat of paint.
Also good news is my 4 banger ranger got almost 30 mpg on the trip.
Now it goes downhill, the t-case which was a 205 he said he wanted to keep the C-6 and it together, after looking at that monster I figured it was more than I needed and I didn't know what it would take to mate to an AOD anyway and passed. I gave the 9 the same once over as the 44 which was putting a straight edge on the tubes with a flashlight behind it (which was harder to do since the 9 was pretty cruded up) spun and shook the pinion which felt good to me and looked over the carrier housing as best I could, pulled out $400 the price we agreed on without the 205 it was late and the light could have been better I guess and we loaded them up and I hit the road. about 2 hours later I'm almost home and pulled into a 24 hour gas station and am looking both of them over while I'm filling up all happy, and I notice a ding on the 9" axle housing I grab a windshield paper towel and start wiping crud off and it goes to a crack in the housing that starts at the back halfway between the top of the pumpkin and the axle tube socket and goes to the front to the carrier housing flange about 5 inches I guess. I sent his buddy who listed it for him some pictures this morning asking for an adjustment and he's talking to the guy tonight, I haven't heard back. I proposed sending me a check back for 25% and we'll call it square he gets something for it and I at least get a 3rd and and axles. I don't expect to get anything back the guys are pretty young and a 100 bucks is a big deal to them. They bought the truck with a wasted motor for the lift kit and tires and are parting it out they'll probably get a free lift kit and tires plus make a few bucks that's American enterprising. I'll just put it on my live and learn list. I also would bet money they didn't know it was cracked either unless they were camoflauge experts, the crud looked 100% genuine to me. I have a certified welder that works for me at my job he's supposed to be a tig master does anyone think it's worthwhile to try to male a repair and maybe make a trussed up 9 project out of it or will the heat just twist up the housing, I also have a machinist on my watch that I know could cut the flange back to better than new. Or just junk it?

Old 09-30-2004, 11:04 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
you can get 9" housings for a dime a dozen, at least around here! i wouldn't trash it. what i would do is pressure wash all your parts and makes sure nothing else is 'bad'. i hate to burst your bubble but $450 is still a pretty damn good deal even if you were just buying the D44! i'd say you ripped them off! although, i think if it were me i would have spent the extra $50 or $100 and got the t-case. all you have to do is get an adapter and you could find them on ebay pretty easy. an AOD is basically a C6 just with an overdrive

-cutts-

Old 09-30-2004, 11:06 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
There's enough 9" housing around that you should be able to find another housing rather easy. So if i were you i would junk it.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:07 PM
slipjoint
Freshman User
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by slipjoint; 09-30-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Scoarch
Senior User
wow.
you guys are paying way to much for your rearends.
out of the local auto wreakers i got a 9" 3L50 out of a 77 1/2 ton for 100 dollers. still had the metal tag.
i also picked up a 79 sb frame witn d44 in front, new hubs (warn) , 9" in back , 4.10 gears in it, a c6, np205, crappy cab but tilt steering with sport wheel, two good doors, and a good tailgate for $250. and thats all in canadian dollers.
there are trucks all over here in the small wreakers and in farmers fields. parts are pretty cheap

Old 10-01-2004, 12:18 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Yeah i also got a complete 9" out of a 77' lincole with disc brakes (limited slip as well) for $100. But those cracks make me wonder how hard the truck was run, and maybe the frontend was cleaned and painted up for a reason?

Old 10-01-2004, 05:14 AM
wyldstallyn73
Elder User
If someone wants to give me $450 for a D44, I've got 4 of them lying around, two of them with 4.10's, and I know where to get another truck minus the engine, tranny and t-case for $100. I guess it must all be in where you live!!!!!! But I wouldnt be afraid to weld up that housing, just do it an inch at a time and let it cool before doing more-It's not as if you have anything to lose!!!!

Old 10-01-2004, 02:07 PM
TallGuy_Az
Senior User
4 of them? I can't find any cheap here in AZ. Still looking.