Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo Terms

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Finally
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Terms

Can someone explain the "turbo terms" used in some of these threads. ie turbo lag, turbo surge. Is it possible to get too much air to the turbo? The reason I ask is I installed the Napa filter on my intake a while ago. When I test drove it, I was impressed with the little bit of increase in performance it had. Well, I drive my half ton to work and such so I haven't driven it for a few days. Today, I drove it to work. On my way home, I was kinda fiddle fartin' around and notice that it didn't seem to have the zip it did before. Upon inspection, the filter had wiggled loose and the intake hose was half off. I was just curious. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet since I reinstalled and stabilized the filter.

99 F250 SD PSD first time owner of about 30 days

Old 09-26-2004, 01:58 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I too installed the napa filter and it did the same thing to me, it wiggles loose and half came off the filter. I had to make some custom intake piping to satisfy myself with how the filter sits.

????#1 Tubo lag. that is refering oo the little bit of time it take from when you mash the go peddle until the turbo fully spools up and start pumping air real hard. I noticed a significant decrease in turbo lag when i installed my napa filter.

????#2 Direct quote from diesel power products."The condition known as turbo surge or stall occurs under heavy load conditions where boost pressures are elevated. The root cause is generally an imbalance of pressures between the turbine side and the compressor side of the turbo. When the forces on the turbine are no longer strong enough to drive the compressor side of the turbo adequately, stall occurs. Often on Powerstrokes the stall will manifest itself as a surging and the boost pressure in the manifold will fluctuate as the vehicle surges and you can hear an audible cyclic sound which corresponds with the surge.

????#3 NO it is never a bad thing to feed to much air into a turbo, it is not good to give it unfiltered air as a tiny piece of dirt can score the wheel or housing.

Diesel rod