General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

razor burn

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
razor burn

any tips to get rid of razor burn? its been impossible to avoid, tried different shave gels, always have sharp razors... maybe put baby powder on the burn? or what?

Old 09-21-2004, 11:19 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only shave WITH the grain, not against it.

Try shaving right after a hot shower, so your skin's sort of softened up by the steam.

Last option... ask those Queers' Eyes for the Straight Guy, or whatever that show's called.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 PM
archer1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grow a beard and your troubles disappear.

Old 09-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Ghostgunn
Elder User
May try

You may want to try an electric razor - get a good brand like braun. I can't use a blade or I look like someone tried to strangle me. I have a friend that can't use electric or he looks the same way- so to each his own. I tried everything and no creams, gels, waters etc., helped ever.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:49 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Grow a beard and use an electric for the slight amount left to shave. Unless you go for the Charles Manson look.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:20 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take your time when shaving...
I find when I rush, I tend to slide the razor "sideways" and this creates it everytime...

I always shave in the shower now and it seems to help....

tried the expensive electrics, tried the expensive blades, tried the cheap ones too

whatever you do, stick with one, going back and forth WILL make it worse !

Old 09-22-2004, 07:37 AM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Here are a few tips I got from, believe it or not, the Smithsonian magazine. Hair absorbs water. Get your face wet for a few minutes, at least, before shaving. This softens the hair as it swells with water. Cut with the 'grain'. Don't shave in the opposite direction of the hair growth. This means you willl usually be moving the razor downward. Don't get those new 17 blade razors, they cut too close. As the hair is cut, the hair shaft itself is very sharp. Check that out about a day or two after you shave. If it is cut and snaps back below the skin surface, it will actually cut your skin slightly, and irritate as it cuts it's way through. Try different shave creams. If your hair is very straight, it will appear round if you look straight at the end. If your hair is very curly, it will appear more flattened from the end. African descendant's hair is almost flat, and is tightly curled as it grows, tending to irritate the skin even more as it grows through after shaving. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:37 AM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
They make all kinds of stuff to fix this for girls!! There's something called "Bikini Zone" (you could look for a similar product, I'm sure there are more) that is supposed to soothe the skin post-shaving. It's made for sensitive skin, obviously... But I can see you being wary of buying something like that... check your girlfriend/wife's bathroom cabinets!

Old 09-22-2004, 08:09 AM
68torino
Posting Guru
I shave after a shower. I use hair conditioner for lube. I have to shave against the grain or end up with 5 minute shadow. Find a razor you like and keep it. For me the three bladed swivel works on my neck because I break out there with regulars. Two bladed on the face because of non-swivel allows me to trim next to beard line and moustache.

Old 09-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Kundalini
Elder User
Try a product called "Tend Skin"
Works like a charm!

Old 09-22-2004, 10:55 AM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
I don't know if this is going to work for you. It won't hurt to give it a shot.
I have very sensitive skin, and I always got razor burn shaving my legs. And I can't use any of that kinder and gentler girly stuff, because I'm allergic to just about everything. Just by chance I discovered that after I started using one of those mesh sponges I didn't get anymore razor burn. I scrub with the sponge and some bath gel first, and then shave. You can find these sponges in the soap section or the ladies beauty aides section in any store. It looks like a mass of bunched up netting tied up in a loose ball.
Hope this helps.
(And we won't tell anyone your using a girly remedy )

Old 09-22-2004, 11:02 AM
zombie0299
Senior User
A lot of the black dudes I serve with in the army have a similar problem for the reasons that camo4stealth mentioned. In the PX they have some special shave creams/gels that are supposed to help them eliminate or at least control the burn/bumps of shaving. I'm sure some drug stores have that stuff too. Might wanna check that out if you haven't already.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:12 AM
superspike
Senior User
NH-Hottie is right- if you exfoliate before you shave, your skin surface is smoother and there is less irritation. See if your wife/girlfriend has some kind of exfoliator like St. Ive's Apricot scrub or something similar.. or if you don't.. use a mesh scrubber or washcloth and lightly scrub your face and neck before you shave.. and like 68torino said I've also heard that conditioner is the best thing to use because it has oils in it that soften the hair, rather than being alcohol based like shaving creams that actually dry out your skin...

Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Shepard
Elder User
There are a lot of suggestions here, but remember that for some people shaving will always be a pain. My entire life, when I shave my face, it's been torture. I get irritation and small pimples etc. Of course this makes shaving the next day a real mess. I think it does relate to the hair growing back in. I have had a beard for the last 25 years and that solves the problem. I did shave this past August 1st just to see if anything had changed.... No!

Old 09-22-2004, 11:36 AM
pcorbin
Freshman User
Lots of good ideas here. My problem is sun damage on my face. My contribution probably won't help you avoid the razor burn, but I think it will at least make you feel better.

Recently, I saw an ad for a new Gillette skin gel product intended to be used after shaving and guaranteed to make you facial skin look and feel better after only 14 days. Well, I've been using it for less than a week, but I can tell you I definitely like the way it feels after I apply it post shaving (and I, too, subscribe to the the school of shaving in the shower).

>pfc

Quick Reply: razor burn