6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:53 PM
croset
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change

Did it myself, very easy to do. Took the diesel bath when I drained the water. Should have the followed the advice I read here. I still smell like diesel but I like the smell of diesel so who cares. Got the oil and filter at wal-mart 1.74/qt for motorcraft oil and 17 plus for the motorcraft filter. All they had were quarts. Used 14 of them. I think the dealer overfilled it on the first free change.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like you had fun............though....
...the members of FTE really do have some great advise.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Bug Splat
New User
Did my first oil change today on my '04. It was easy once I got everything together. Got the Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve ordered last month, found the Ford filter and Ford 15W40 oil at Wally World. The hardest thing to find was the 36m socket.

Went all over town looking for one. Took 3 hours to track one down. Every one had inch sockets that big, but no metric. Home Depot cracked me up. Asked the guy if he had any metric sockets. "Which ones are those?" he asked. "Um, the milla meter ones" I answered. Made everybody around the area laugh, and he still didn't get it. Oh well.

My question is about the drain plug. The plug is magnetic, and it had the usual metallic sluge on it, plus a few large chunks of metal. About 1x3 and 1x2 mm size. Should I be worried about this? Are those large chunks of metal normal for a new PSD? Also, on my other vehicles, I have either used a magnetic drain plug, or strong magnets on the oil filter. With the fumoto valve and the oil filter set up on the PSD there is no method of doing this. I'd hate to have large chunks of metal floating around free in the engine oil.

Thanks, Bug

Old 10-05-2004, 06:50 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a bunch of fuzz and chunks that came out on the original oil. Wasn't much after that. If you are concerned, take an oil sample. Go to Blackstone web site and they will send you a sample kit. Easy to do now you have the Fumoto valve.

PSD 60 4X4 had a bunch of real BIG chunks in his, but that's a different story

Old 10-05-2004, 06:55 PM
skippyp
Senior User
where ya'll getting your Fumoto valves (which fte sponsor?)

thanks!

Old 10-05-2004, 07:35 PM
ultraclassic
Senior User
Sears has 36MM sockets

Originally Posted by Bug Splat
The hardest thing to find was the 36m socket.

Went all over town looking for one. Took 3 hours to track one down. Every one had inch sockets that big, but no metric. Home Depot cracked me up. Asked the guy if he had any metric sockets. "Which ones are those?" he asked. "Um, the milla meter ones" I answered. Made everybody around the area laugh, and he still didn't get it.
Sears has Craftsman 1/2 inch drive 36 MM sockets for 6.99 and I bought a sliding 1/2 inch drive t bar for 12.99 so I can keep it in my truck with the socket and not have to go looking for my 1/2 drive ratchet when I change the oil

Old 10-05-2004, 07:42 PM
ultraclassic
Senior User
Originally Posted by croset
Got the oil and filter at wal-mart 1.74/qt for motorcraft oil and 17 plus for the motorcraft filter.
You are talking about a 6.0 oil filter right? All I have seen at wally world around here is 7.3 oil filters for about 10 bucks.
If wal-mart is getting in Motorcraft 6.0 filters and selling them for 17 bucks thats even cheaper than Racor filters on line for about 19 bucks plus shipping when you order 6 at a time.
I'll have to check the local wal-mart if this is true It sounds like a bargain

Old 10-05-2004, 09:37 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skippyp
where ya'll getting your Fumoto valves (which fte sponsor?)

thanks!
I bought mine straight from http://www.fumotovalve.com/.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Bug Splat
New User
ultraclassic,

I tried Sears, no go here. Also tried Home Depot, OSH, and a few local hardware stores. Had to get it at a industrial welding/heavy equipment outfitter (wasn't cheap).

But, I saved money on the filter and oil. Filter was $17.62, and the oil was $1.46 per quart. This was at a Wall Mart in Central California. BTW, the truck seems to idle quieter since the oil change. I can almost be heard at a drive thru now.

Bug

Old 10-06-2004, 01:31 AM
Rick Braden
Senior User
Guy, Go to www.filter1.com & pay less that $12.00 for 6.0 psd oil filter. The air filters are inexpensive too. Can get the trans filter cheap. Buy some air & oil filters & pay no shipping. To save time I got phone # off website & phoned in order. Best prices I've seen & since you'll need more filters for SD's, and maybe some filters for "sweet thing's" ride, get the free shipping with about 5 filters. They'll tell you what it takes. I got a mix & match for 2 vehicles & scored Big!

Old 10-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Lnd Svyr
Senior User
You guys got it good, I guess. I went to Wally World for impending oil change and they have nada. No Motorcraft oil or filters. I guess it's off to Advance Auto.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:40 PM
skippyp
Senior User
The 3 walmarts in my town all had rotella for 6.46/gallon. All of the synthetics were over $16/gallon! I haven't gotten my futomo valve, yet so I didn't buy. They had a bunch of filters, but I didn't check for the f250 number.

Old 10-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
I second what rick braden said about filter1.com I got 5 oil filters and 1 set of fuel filters for 96$ delivered to my door. And these are the wix filters, same as the originals. I had been buying the oil filters at napa for 22$ because no one else carried them yet(I tried pep boys, autozone, checker, walmart). Ordered them last tuesday and they were on my doorstep friday in time for the weekends chores.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Rick Braden
Senior User
Steve, I eyed your gallery & like your grill a lot. If I got a grill it would be that kind. Take care, Rick

Originally Posted by Super Steve
I second what rick braden said about filter1.com I got 5 oil filters and 1 set of fuel filters for 96$ delivered to my door. And these are the wix filters, same as the originals. I had been buying the oil filters at napa for 22$ because no one else carried them yet(I tried pep boys, autozone, checker, walmart). Ordered them last tuesday and they were on my doorstep friday in time for the weekends chores.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bug Splat
I tried Sears, no go here.
Yeah, they told me they didn't have one either. This is a place where they keep the sockets locked in the case, so even though I had seen it with my own eyes already, I still had to convince the guy that they really did carry it. "We don't have anything that big." "Look, can you please just open the case for me so I can get it and buy it?!"

If you look it up on Sears.com you can see they sell it.

Duncan

Quick Reply: Oil Change