Bronco II Ford Bronco II

89 Bronco II, what to check/replace first?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 02:16 PM
aloomens
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got an 89 Bronco II. What should I be looking for as afar as possible problems? In other words what do I need to have checked out on it right away? Someone said to check (especially the front) UJoints. Anything else to look for? It's a 2.9l v6 with a 5 speed. I would like to eventually build up the suspension (small lift etc.), but want to be sure that everything else is up to snuff first. THanks for any suggestions/advice!

Old 12-18-2002, 05:06 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2.9L engine seems to be sensitive to overheating; easy to crack/warp the heads. If there are no problems from it previously being overheated, make sure the cooling system is functioning well.

Old 12-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Squiggy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now guy when you buy a new truck you check the obvoius like Engine oil(just change it makes more sense, I would switch to Synthetic as it increases power a little bit and offers excellent protection)Check the tranny fluid color and level, Changing that isnt very hard either, two bolt one on top and one on the bottom, pull the bottom one out let it drain then put fluid in the top, A nice pump works good for this. Next I would go down the driveline, Check for oil leaks at the engine to transmission mounts. If there is oil seeping there then often its a rear main seal or the input seal for the tranny either way try some seal conditioner and see if it goes away. Check the back of the tranny where the driveshaft goes out to the diff for any leaks and check the diff seals too at the driveshaft. Check your brakes, taking the tire off usually helps check the brake pads if they are worn pass the thickness of two loonies then it is usually time to change em, check the back brakes pull the drum off and check for any fluid in there, if there is its usually rear diff seals leaking, or a leak in your brake lines, but usually its the seals in the diff. Try not to inhale the debris from the drum (its known to cause cancer). Check your ball joints in the front end, check tie rod ends, check u-joints for lube, stick a grease gun in there and pump away at it till grease is pouring out. this should pretty much cover the basics. Good luck.:-X12

Old 12-19-2002, 11:22 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

Whenever I buy a vehicle I change every fluid from the radiator to the rear end. For less than $100 worth of fluid and gaskets, it is cheap insurance. I would say the most important thing on a 2.9 is change the oil and flush the cooling system.

If I was strapped for cash, this is the order I would do it.

oil and filter
lube all fittings, doors, and gaskets
flush cooling system including back flush
tranny filter and manually flush the tranny cooler
go back in one month and do the tranny again
transfer case
rear diff
front diff
completely flush brakes until clean fluid at all four corners and RABS.

Old 12-19-2002, 05:28 PM
bumpin_BII
Senior User