Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 BII Break light problems

Old 01-16-2003, 01:22 PM
mentalcase
New User

I noticed this today. My break lights wont go off. Even with the car turned off the break light stay on. What could be the problem? And could this drain my battery to the point where my car won't start?

mike

Old 01-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Matt_W
Senior User

This is most certainly your brake light switch and you should get a new one as soon as possible just because its not safe driving without brake lights. Until you get to a parts store though and to shut the lights off dissconnect the plug that is on the brake light switch (leaving any light on will drain your battery over time). Look at the top of the brake pedal under the dashboard and you will see two wires attached to a strange looking metal and plastic piece with a spring in the middle. this is the brake light switch. It is really easy to change. Pretty self explanatory and any parts store will have one most likely for under 10 bucks. There is a clip that holds it on with a few washers. Take off the clip and slide the switch off and slide the new one on in the same orientation as you slid the old one off. Or go to any decent gas station and they will change it for you. It shouldnt take more than five minutes to do.

Old 01-16-2003, 09:36 PM
mentalcase
New User

Well thanx. The problem has went away. For now at least when i get the chance i am gonna go to pep boys and buy a new switch. Thanx again