Instrument Panel Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Heff2727
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Panel Lights

Hey all, I am looking at replacing the stock bulbs that light up the instrument cluster. Right now they are that greeny color, but not overly bright. I am wondering if I can replace with a brighter bulb, possibly with a different color? I have an '80 F150. Thanks.By the way, while I am at it, how hard is it to replace the idiot lights for oil pres. and batt. with actual guages? While I've got the dash apart I might as well do that too. Thanks again.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,782 Likes on 1,440 Posts
Hey, I had my dash apart about 3 months ago, so I can answer to some of this.

Your lights are not colored. The factory put in a colored lense that snaps into the dash cluster. These things get old and brittle, and don't let very much light through. To see my dash better, I punched the lenses out, and let the bare bulb shine through. My dash is much brighter, but it has a yellowish glow to it. I don't see why you couldn't make your own lense somehow out of colored acrylic and glue it in place.

Be careful though. My dash plastic was really crumbly and the colored lenses just fell apart when I took them out. I also had to replace some of my bulb holders because they just crumbled. You can find some of these parts though in late 70's and early 80's Ford cars and trucks. They all seem to be the same.

As far as adding guages, my truck has factory guages. But, I personally would not go to the effort to find and replace your instrument cluster so you can have factory guages. They are pretty bad as far as giving any useful info. Your best bet is to go aftermarket, and keep your idiot lights as well.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Heff2727
Senior User
Thanks Franklin. Do you have any recommendations for aftermarket guages that would fit into my dash or maybe an entire instrument panel? Thanks.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can buy colored lamps also. You can also cover the lamps with jell wrap that will not burn.

Old 09-11-2004, 09:49 AM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
Where do you get gell wrap?

Old 09-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wickymustang
Where do you get gell wrap?
Any RC Car or Plane shop will have it. You can also try a Craft store in your area.

Old 09-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Big ole Dog
Junior User
Smile

I replaced the lamps in my dash with red .I had to pull the speedo gage and the temp gage to get the blue caps out. I also cleaned the clear plastic cover don't use windex it will scratch the plastic just dish soap and water . the light for the wipers and headlight switch is differant than the rest . the lights for the heater control is the same as the gages. I like the red I used #194 bulbs. Be carefull of the shift cable on the colum if the truck is automactic.

1984 FORD F-150
302 (304)
C-6 long bed