77 Shifter..

Old 09-10-2004, 02:24 AM
Mysticle31
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
77 Shifter..

I've got a 1977 Ranchero.

It's an Automatic column shifter.

The shifter is really sloppy. The handle just flops back and fourth. Selecting gears is not a problem. Up and down movement is ok. If you’re not careful with it, it will pop out of park and into reverse and roll away. (I've had to run to catch it before. I steped out for a minute with it in park with the engine running )

I'm about ready to put a different steering wheel on. I'm thinking do them both at the same time.

Would it be easier/cheaper to convert to floor shifter? (I've got air grinder) Would the shifter be a PITA to reach? (I mounted VW Recaro seats higher then usual; as I am used to driving German cars. And I think that the Americans of the era enjoyed sitting low on off center steering wheels with their hands at eye-level if they were on the top of the wheel. Rather then 'wrists on the steering wheel' way.. ) Either that or I'm just too short. )

Do they make tall floor shift levers? The column shifter is close to the steering wheel. The floor would have to be pretty tall to be easy to grasp. (I'm used to ones that are a few inches. This one would have to be about a foot if the rod started right at the tunnel metal.

Anyone make performance (sporty, firm..) column shifters?

I'm going to be going though the motor and tranny at the same time. And have not yet decided manual/auto. I don't know where to find conversion brackets (if needed?) Or how to add the clutch pedal; if I go manual, auto is column is out of the idea. I don’t like the idea of 3 (or 4 as the case may be) on the tree.

How does the cost tend to lean Manual vs. Auto? (no oddball 6 speeds or anything and no clunky truck trannys)

There is a C4 in there now behind a 351M.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:52 AM
rodbender
Junior User
Alot of the time its bushings that wear and make for sloppy shifts. the collars are available still and probably the shifter too. I'm not familiar with the floor shifted set ups on these. However I do have two Torino toploaders sitting in my garage:-)

Old 09-13-2004, 02:32 PM
krehmkej
Senior User
Tall Shifter

I have seen a LOKAR floor automatic shifter with a longer lever, or, Hurst makes a unit for pickups that's taller. My $.02: stick with the automatic.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:29 AM
Mysticle31
Senior User
I'm leaning toward the same thing. Epically if I can make it go better then high 13s. I remember my Jetta witch did mid 13s spun up quick..

Column of Floor?

How does a column even work? That's got to be lots-o-complex stuff there. Does anyone make rebuild kits? Or new columns?

How much power can a C4 (nothin special) hold up to? (new of cource..)

Old 09-15-2004, 07:37 AM
rodbender
Junior User
Actually the column shifters are pretty easy to rebuild.Bushings are available, etc. Also a C-4 trans can hold quite a bit of power. They've been made to handleover 600 ft/lb of torque. More so than the FMX. Just FYI.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:38 PM
ranchero77
Senior User
what you might need is the retaining clip for the shifter tube. I think the problem around this time was with tilt steering units. what do you have?
the selector sleeve wears out where the pin goes through for the shifter handles .

mine was real sloppy but no problems falling out of park. so I drilled out the handle with a carbide bit (the handle is hard as wood pecker lips)and put in the next size dia pin. it worked but its getting bad again. looks like I should go with a floor shifter myself. drilling it out again would only weaken the handle. let us know what you do

Old 09-19-2004, 01:41 AM
Mysticle31
Senior User
Well.. The pin you talk about goes though the handle. That's in there good. Well. no. It's a size too big (not my doing) and I smashed it in there with vicegrips..ha ha..

Do they make adapter brackets for a manual tranny for these cars? What trannys can I use on the 'big block' 351/400M? I definitely need and overdrive tranny.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Mysticle31
Senior User
I have a non tilt wheel.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:22 PM
ranchero77
Senior User
does your gear selector indicator line up in all the gears?

Old 09-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Mysticle31
Senior User
I don't know. It came off a long time ago and I never replaced it (the cover that is. The needle is there but there's nothing for it to..well..needle to?)

Search this Thread