General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

help with some birthday ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:49 PM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with some birthday ideas

my girlfriends birthday is coming up in about 2 weeks and im really struggling for ideas. usually im pretty good at coming up with something that a girl would think is sweet, thoughtful, etc. basically what a girl would want. but this time im stuck. we've only been together about 2 months but this has been the best relationship ive been in, im the luckiest guy on earth, but thats a different story. what i was planning on was getting her a pair of ear rings, not cheap ones, but about 2 days ago her mom got her a pair just for the hell of it, so would that make my present look bad if i got her some ear rings too?

shes 16 and im 18 so this question might go out to the younger crowd out there who understands where im at. she also wants me to do something sweet and im usually good at coming up with something good but im stuck again. if anyone could give me some ideas that would be great. thanks in advance.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:03 PM
RoyalFord
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Humm, I would return the ear rings, yea that sucks. I get stuck like this too all the time. My girl and I just broke up 2 weeks ago. She is 16 and I am 18. So I know where you are comming from. We dated for 1yr and 8 months, so a little longer than you. What I have always have heard is girls love when you make things for them. Like arts and craft. I know I know, all that mussy stuff. I mean spend a little money but if you love the girl (well 2months, you shouldn't yet, well heck what do i know) then do something that comes from the heart.

The first person I would of asked in this situation is my mom. She always knows what to do. If not, ask and grandma or aunt or something. Good luck rebel, keep us posted.

Bryan

P.S. if you can't think of anything just tell her happy birthday. lol

EDIT: I like your antennas on your truck, look like mine, except white and taller

Last edited by RoyalFord; 09-09-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:20 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
rebel...I'm nowhere near your age (already lapped you twice), but I found a sure-fire gift for any woman (and treat her like a woman!) is some time at an upscale spa...get her nails done, massage, facial, whatever. When they come out of that, they are totally pumped up with themselves. Go to a place her friends might suggest, and you can get a gift certificate for an amount within your range and choose exactly what services she gets. (of course, the more the merrier).

After she's done, pick her up and go to dinner, and make sure you tell her how great she looks! It'll be one night she'll remember, and the best thing is she'll tell all her friends about what a thoughtful and considerate guy you are! You can't lose!!

Good luck, and you gotta tell us how this works out!!

Last edited by DonsFx4; 09-09-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:30 PM
matt77F2504x4
Elder User
i hope i dont offend the females on the site, but all of my past girlfriends liked things that impressed their friends. jewelry is great, personalized jewelry is better. dont get just one gift. get a few smaller(price) things and give them to her throughout the day. no teddy bears! most girls i know dont really like the homemade gifts(unless you're a jeweler)
find out what her goals in life are and start there.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:34 PM
n578md
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though I'm twice your girlfriend's age, I'll tell you what I think about it anyhow. (That and I have nothing better to do.)

Buying jewelry for a woman (girl) so early in the game is like feeding the dog at the dinner table. Bad habit and nothing good will come from it. She'll always expect jewelry from then on and you'll have to blow all your cash on it. I married none of the girls I dated when I was your age so buying them expensive stuff would have been a waste of money. Fortunately, not buying her jewelry has two positive effects: 1) you can weed out the undesirables who are in "love" with your money/gifts rather than yourself, and 2) it saves money so you can replace that AM/FM radio with a CD player. No, the only solution here is something more tame yet mushy. Rule #1, girls love mushy stuff. It doesn't have to be expensive (if you found the right girl) but it has to be mushy. A few years ago, I was in a quandary (No not a Korean sub-compact car) as to what I was going to get my wife for her birthday. A 6 inch 14mm spark plug wrench from Snap-on so she can change the spark plugs in my F250? Hmmm. But wait, however sexy I might think a 14mm spark plug wrench is, it fails the mushy test. Or... Plan B. I sent her 100 roses delivered at her work. Then, that evening, I took her to Antares. It's a nice restaurant at the top of Reunion Tower in Dallas. The whole restaurant spins and gives you a panoramic view of Dallas. When I picked her up at work (along with the 100 roses), she was bawling so bad that I'm glad I have an XL with the vinyl flooring. Give her some damned flowers, and take her to Chez Snooty in Chicago. Just tell them you're Abe Frohman, THE sausage king of Chicago. Rent something nice though. (A 2005 F250 for example.) She'll remember that longer than a damned pair of earrings. My wife still talks about the flowers and the restaurant. The $8000 dollar necklace I bought her? Not so much.

Last edited by n578md; 09-10-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:42 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Hey rebelford, one of my best friends who happens to be a girl always tells me what I should get for g/f's for bdays and stuff. She told me that there is a place in the mall over here (grapevine mills) called Build a Bear. You build your own bear and you can make it to where you sqeeze it and it says whatever you record it to say (in your voice). You can personalize it many other ways too. Try and find out if there is one near you, Im sure that she would LOVE it and it goes along with something that you made, plus there not expensive.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:56 AM
theologian
Postmaster
I am way to old to give advice.... yeah right..

A bear is something every girl loves. at least all of them I have given bears to. (I like teddy bears, I give them to people just for the heck of it.)

Old 09-10-2004, 07:49 AM
frazier23727
Junior User
I think that the bear should be the starting point. buy her a few roses and then take her out to dinner. My wife has kept all the rose pedals to all the dozens of roses that I bought her when we were dating. She likes to keep a box of all the mushy stuff that I bought her over the years

Old 09-10-2004, 09:11 AM
theologian
Postmaster
One time, when I was young, and rich, I bought a girl a bear, put a gold watch on the bear, and a pearl necklace... It was well appreciated.

Old 09-10-2004, 07:45 PM
superspike
Senior User
Wink

Looks like I am the first girl to reply, and I'm near your age to boot! (19.. close). Well... lets see here... reading the previous posts.. got some suggestions for you:
n578md is kind of right- you buy us jewelry and we will always hope for more, even though we say we don't! Jewelry is nice, but if you really want to do good, do something romantic for her.
This would be.. buy her flowers, take her out to a nice dinner so she can dress up (we love to dress up.. well at least I do!), then do something really memorable.. like take her to a park for a walk and look at the stars.. something really cute like that. A girl can never get romanced too much. And after all that give her a small token gift maybe.. my boyfriend gave me a nice Cross pen for our first christmas and I love it.. best pen I have ever had, but it scared the hell out of me when he gave it to me because it came in a small, long box... I thought it was jewelry and we'd only been together a few months... jewelry too soon can scare some girls.. make them think you're lookin for more, if you know what I mean!
Just be yourself, and make it a night, or day for that matter, that she will look back on fondly.
I hope that helps you some... I know we females tend to expect you guys to be mind readers.. guilty of that myself...

Old 09-10-2004, 09:14 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, I'm 18, and my (well now ex) G/F is 16. She used to LOVE white roses. So, I'd buy her a bunch of white roses, and take her for a night on the town. (Out to dinner and a movie, etc.). I also got her a very expencive watch one time as well. That was a BIG mistake. Waste of my time and money on that watch.
Take what I say with a grain of salt, but go with what you think your GF would like. You know her better than any of us do
Have fun !

Old 09-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Red Roses stands for Eternal Love.....

I say, pick another colour like White or Yellow roses if that's what you want to give her.

EDIT:

I just found this for you to choose from.

http://www.rkdn.org/roses/colors.asp

Old 09-10-2004, 10:09 PM
2Bowers
Posting Guru
One girl I dated, I sent her one rose every day for the week before (It was Valentines Day, not her birthday, but same idea). I didn't see her but she got the flowers and it built up the anticipation. On the actual day I showed up with six more roses and took her out to eat, then we went for a walk on the beach. I don't remember what I got her, but I think it was a mushy card and maybe a stuffed animal or something.

I can't speak for women (and I'm not sure any man should try) but my wife is a lot more impressed with a card and something hand-written by me than jewelry. She says it shows I put thought into it. (The thought being, I saved the money and bought truck parts instead. But don't tell her that.)

Old 09-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
whoa- we have girls on this site?

in any case....I've had good luck with things I make....I happen to be pretty good at that sort of stuff.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:49 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Once.....a long time ago......I gave a watch to a gf which I spent money for engraving something on the back which included her name. We then broke up. Anyway I got the watch back. So when I got a new gf, I took a dime and filed it flat. I then glued it to the back of the watch and had it engraved with the new gf's name. As long as the epoxy held, I was cool.

Quick Reply: help with some birthday ideas