Diesel Fuel Brand

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:12 PM
BlueMonster
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Fuel Brand

Hi Power Strokers

Just had a question about diesel fuel brands. I live in Maryland, and we have several choices of diesel fuel brands. I usually use Citgo, and secondly I use Enroy (Roayal Farms) brand. They sell a good bit of diesel fuel, and I have never had a problem with their fuel. I was wondering what opinions you guys have.
Thanks

Old 09-08-2004, 07:17 PM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
I get mine at one of the high volume dealers so I know it hasn't been in the tank too long . Which ever one has the lowest price gets my business ! We have a couple of places where a lot of dumptrucks get their fuel , so I know it's fresh .

Old 09-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
Yeah same here I try to get it at a high volume place as well. Two places near a busy quarry in my area, Sunoco and a Coastal.

Old 09-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Heaterman
Senior User
Mostly Mobil here every now and then Sunoco

Old 09-09-2004, 11:14 AM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BP/Amoco premium. Good performance and the engine seems to be a little quieter than with other brands I tried. I have also heard Texaco has good quality diesel.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:57 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by slc10844
BP/Amoco premium. Good performance and the engine seems to be a little quieter than with other brands I tried. I have also heard Texaco has good quality diesel.
I only use Sinclair. They are ALWAYS busy. I am on my second diesel, so over the last 4 years I have had ZERO fuel problems. PLUS, they don't use foreign base. It's all from good ol' US of A. All the OKI's out there understand, and of course the folks form Wyoming.

Corey

Old 09-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Jlower
Senior User

Ok, here it goes again,

Here’s you an interesting fact that I posted in an earlier thread. It just might change you're opinion on what and where you buy.

All diesel and gas is the same! There are several giant fuel pipeline systems running underground through out the U.S. and parts of Canada. It is one system operated by many oil companies. For instance if Shell puts 100,000 gallons in the pipeline in Texas City, TX, Then a 100,000 gal credit is given to Shell oil. The credit could then be redeemed by opening the valve in Detroit and pulling out 100,000 gallons that could have been put in by Phillips Petroleum in Ft. Lauderdale. To blow you mind a little further premium will travel down the pipe right next to the regular gas. The areas of fuel were the two grades meet and mix will be sent to a different tank and then become your midgrade gas.

To confuse the issue a little more even though all gas is the same, each company sells different gas! When the distributor in your area pulls from the pipeline it is sent to individual company tanks in the fuel tank yard. It is then up to the distributors like Mobil, Shell, or Exxon to put in their additives. So all gas is the same, but different. Just so long as the fuel meets the fuel grade criteria all is well. In out lying areas with little infrastructure fuel is usually delivered to many different sellers by one distributor using the same trucks.

This system is the same for diesel as well. The diesel just runs in a parallel pipe or is pushed throught the gasoline pipes. The difference in diesel is the freshness of the supply and how well it's handled at the stations.

If they are all getting the gas from the same place, it really does raise the question: Why do two stations, across the street from each other, have different prices?

Here are some links to the companies that control their section of pipe. There are over 40 more companies in this business.

Refined Product Pipelines 101
Colonial Piplines

Last edited by Jlower; 09-09-2004 at 06:33 PM.