1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans/torque conv ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 03:13 PM
6d6goat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans/torque conv ???

hey fellas, first time to this forum and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. im a bit more old school when it comes to things, my daily driver is a 66 GTO (manual trans) so needless to say the Ford E4OD tranny is beyond my realm of knowledge...so with all that said, here is the problem i am having...its a 1992 F350 4x4 it has around 76,000 miles on it. the other day i was driving it on the freeway and it seemed like it was losing power, well after i turned down the radio what was happening was that the tranny or torque convertor was slipping...i took it to the side of the road and was able to baby it home about 10 miles. here is what it was doing, off the line you had to barely press the gas the gas to get it going, to much gas and it started to slip and id have to back off the gas and get the RPM's down and ease back into it. when it would "slip" it made a wierd almost ratcheting sound form around the torque convertor area. the tranny fluid was clear and topped off, showing NO signs of being burnt and i am able to fire it up and drive it around the block twice a week (to avoid parking tickets) could it be just a bad convertor....or worse.

thanks, vic

Old 09-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vic,

First off welcome to the forum. Definetly sounds like the TC to me. Also your fluid should be pink not clear, so that tells me it has been a little hot at some point possibly recently with all the slippage. I would take it to a tranny shop if not under warranty still (Since we know nothing about year make model). Have them do an assesment on it and if need be replaced get a billet TC (Heavy Duty). If the tranny as a whole needs to be replaced then go with a BTS tranny. Look up Brians Truck Shop transmissions here on the site you will get tons of info.

Fire Rooster

Old 09-05-2004, 04:09 PM
6d6goat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you fire, ps, when i said clear tranny fluid, i was refering to not being brownish or burnt in color..the actual color is the standard redish/pinkish color you would see right off ot the shelf. anyone else agree or disagree with fire???

thanks, vic