air filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 02:47 PM
hermanMS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air filters

hey guys got a cupple of questions for u, well i was just looking at sum air filters for my 4.2 and there was the hole kit u could buy or just a air filter (k&n). I was wondering if i kept the stock air filter tube and just buy an air filter if that would make a difference? or if i bought the hole kit would it make a bigger diference? i also was thinking that just buying an air filter wouldent that have the same amount of preformace because the olny thing that is diferent is the tube or is the one in the kit different. help plez thanks

Old 09-05-2004, 06:20 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
Both will give you gains, but if you get a whole intake tube and (k&n) on the end of that tube, that will help you the most. Putting a k&n in your stock system will help too, but not as much as the other setup. I reccommend taking out your stock system and putting the intake in.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:31 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Herman,
I went with a MAC complete intake set-up bought right here:
http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/home.php

It is fairly easily installed and I like the wash and reoil filter.
Some argue that oiled media air filters let too much dirt pass. But, my used oil analysis indicated that was not the case (at least for me).
Let us know what you decide.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Maybe someone can enlighten me on this. Why don't manufacturers put low resistance air intakes on their vehicles? It seems every car or truck I can think of can benefit from a new intake!

Old 09-07-2004, 09:39 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
That's just the law of the land I guess. Also, even if they did put a low resistance kit on there, someone, somewhere would come up with something that would produce more power anyways, so why waste their time?