Computer Chips & Tuners  

F150+expy

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 11:25 AM
pedroza1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150+expy

I am new to this forum and i had a couple of questions. i have a 2000 F150 4.6L and 2003 EXP 5.4L. i never tow and only use both around town for light hauling (tool box) and kids. i was looking for more pep/passing and better overall performance. Better MPG would be great.

1. i have heard that the superchips programmer can be used on more than 1 vehicle. is this true? i was hoping to use the programmer for both.

2. are the mods smog legal in california?

3. do the mods void the warranty (do i have to reload the factory settings before taking it into the dealer)? can the stock codes for both be restored?

4. is there a better gain in power when using the programmer with an air intake kit?

5. what are typical MPG gains w/wo the air intake?

Last edited by pedroza1; 09-05-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:20 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pedroza1
I am new to this forum and i had a couple of questions. i have a 2000 F150 4.6L and 2003 EXP 5.4L. i never tow and only use both around town for light hauling (tool box) and kids. i was looking for more pep/passing and better overall performance. Better MPG would be great.

1. i have heard that the superchips programmer can be used on more than 1 vehicle. is this true? i was hoping to use the programmer for both.
It can only program one vehicle at a time. Once you program a vehicle it will refuse to program another until you return the prior vehicle to stock tuning.

2. are the mods smog legal in california?
Yes.

3. do the mods void the warranty (do i have to reload the factory settings before taking it into the dealer)? can the stock codes for both be restored?
Addition of aftermarket parts does not void the warranty but damage caused by aftermarket parts will not be covered by Ford. Yes, it will let you return the truck to stock programming.

4. is there a better gain in power when using the programmer with an air intake kit?
Yes, slightly more on the top end.

5. what are typical MPG gains w/wo the air intake?
Tuners are designed for power, not mileage. While you may see a couple of miles extra in the premium fuel modes it depends on your driving habits, fuel quality, driving conditions, etc.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:33 PM
pedroza1
New User
Chip vs Programmer

Since the programmer only lets me do 1 vehicle, would it be better to install a chip? The chips are about $300 vs $400 for the programmer. do you recommed a chip?

Old 09-07-2004, 05:37 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cheaper... yes. Better? That all depends on how many features you want. Right now the programmers are $40 off, use couple code 1000 to get the discount.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:47 PM
pedroza1
New User
Chip vs Programmer

I only want more power and economy using 91 octane. i am not a lead foot, but getting on the freeway faster would be better. what are the features.