1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Code reader and revelation

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:46 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code reader and revelation

I went over to Shuck's and bought of the code readers they had on special, Equus 3100 or something, cheap, 100 bucks after rebate. That was the most eye opening event for me ever. Plug in the reader, turn on the key, read the code. Heck this one time I had to use the reader probably saved me money from the start - rather than having the dealer diagnose the problem.

Unless something serious occurs (like waterpump failure or head gasket blown) I won't ever take it to the dealer again. Could you imagine what they would have charged me for diagnosing, and then replacing the DPFE sensor? Probably 150 to 200 bucks, not to mention a day's worth of my time and a rental car so I could get to work. Now its 20 minutes and I'm back in business and 15 of that is just waiting for the computer to reset with the negative terminal off the battery.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AHHHH !!! Life's good with new toys!
AL.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:15 AM
FordF150Fixer
Senior User
I argee with Eigenvector. A OBD-II code reader is as necessary as a set of socket wrenches to keep our trucks going. I bought mine after the dealer charged $54 to tell me the CEL was on because the gas cap was not tight. The next time the CEL came on, the OBD reader took me right to the EGR valve and the fact that the vacuum hose had fallen off. Cost to repair = Zero. The OBD reader paid for itself on that one trouble.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Chippa
Junior User
I am looking at buying a code reader. Where did your guys get them, parts store, wal-mart, internet??? Any particular brand I should look at or stay away from???

Old 09-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Kekolin
New User
Hi there,

I'm also looking for a code reader. It'll be helpful if someone can recomend something.
What knowledge shall I have to use it?

Old 09-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
About a month ago I saw Actron code reader (Model # CP9135) on sale at Pep Boys for around $100. Good deal.

I paid $150 for the same unit about 2 years ago and it is one of the best tools I ever bought. It has paid for itself many times over already. I highly recommend that people pick up a simple OBD-II code reader like that if they can.

It's as easy to use as plugging the cord into the connector underneath the driver's side dash, turning the ignition key to the "on" position, and watching the unit display any pending trouble codes.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:50 PM
fisholot
Junior User
I got my innova 3100 at schucks for 100 bucks