Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Powerstroke sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 02:59 PM
04F250CC60
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
Today, Dodge is #2 in heavy duty pickups. I think it's quite amazing that Ford continues to be #1 despite the horrible launch they had with the 6.0 PSD. That proves Ford's brand name dominance because you can actually get a better work truck with the Dodge, but Ford still continues to sell more.
"You can actually get a better work truck with the Dodge"

This is obviously your opinion. And obviously hundreds of thousands of people and companies buy Ford for their toughness and durability. In the construction and industrial field 450 and 550 trucks are not uncommon. That is a realm that Dodge can not hold a candle to.
To surmise if the Dodge was not Cummins powered do you think it would sell as well? Any thoughts why? Maybe because everthing but the powerplant is second rate. I know you'll argue this but...where are all of the 94-96 Dodge trucks?? I know I know...your friend down the street or your dad or boss, had one or has one or knows someone who has one. The fact is that they just didn't last and aren't on the road today. Where are the tough looking square nosed Dodges? Any guesses. Those Cummins diesels are still around though. Yup, somewhere in the middle of a wheat field in western KS being used to drive an irrigation pump.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Ford has dominated the diesel market since 84. There really wasnt any competition back then.

I do not believe they outsell chevy and dodge combined any longer. I think the last number I saw was 48%.

If Im not mistaken this means fords sales are down from 360k in 00 to less than 300k in 03.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:05 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When Ford came out with the "powerstroke" in '94, the reason they outsold Dodge is 1.) Dodge had just gotten rid of their extremely ugly '70s looking body style and had just started the "new Dodge" campaign and 2.) the Cummins was still detuned to less than 200 HP and less than 500 lb./ft. of torque.

The fact is though, that even at that time the Cummins diesel would outlast the PSD. The Dodge truck was still a bit unreliable and Dodge was just starting to get back on their feet, so they didn't sell nearly as many.

Today, Dodge is #2 in heavy duty pickups. I think it's quite amazing that Ford continues to be #1 despite the horrible launch they had with the 6.0 PSD. That proves Ford's brand name dominance because you can actually get a better work truck with the Dodge, but Ford still continues to sell more.
As stated, this is your opinion, and not a very popular one, at least not with people who have enough money to buy a new truck, year after year. A thousand men marching, you're not the only one in step.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:42 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Racerguy
95% of all Duramaxes are still on the road too.
The rest made it home
I like that....gona use it someday....

Old 09-06-2004, 08:34 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Racerguy
95% of all Duramaxes are still on the road too.
The rest made it home
I am kind of glad GM has a descent diesel in the duramax. It sure a lot more relaible then previous diesels. The 6.2 and 6.5 which is safe to say very few are still running any more. GMs past diesel reputation is still hurting them today. I am still not a a believer in aluminum heads on a diesel.GMs 200,000 mile injector warranety impresses me thoughsomething GM had to do. If they didnt GM could have lost there diesel market pretty fast. Show me a duramax with 300,000 miles with no problems then Ill believe.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
The Cummins continued to be "detuned" until the 555 ft/lb version.

It is not a fact that the Cummins outlasts the PSD. As the article said, 98.9% of all PSDs produced are still on the road, not to mention countless IDIs as proven by owners on this website and others.
My IDI is still on the road. Does that mean I didn't have to put alot of money into replacing engine and tranny parts to keep it on the road? You also see old classics on the road to. All original?? maybe 5% of them if you're optimistic.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:55 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
It means you required good maintenances on it…..I can keep a Briggs & Stratton alive for 100 years….????? SO!

Old 09-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
It means you required good maintenances on it…..I can keep a Briggs & Stratton alive for 100 years….????? SO!
Tim. There is a difference between good maintanence and throwing good money after bad. This has been a good truck. But you would wince if you had to pay the repair bills. I love the truck and would never sell it regardless. The monthly repair bills have exceeded the cost of a new truck payment. What are you gonna do. It still runs good. I have never had the heads off.
That wasnt the point. Just because its on the road doesnt mean its in perfect condition.
I know you'll argue this but...where are all of the 94-96 Dodge trucks?? I know I know...your friend down the street or your dad or boss, had one or has one or knows someone who has one.
Id like to provide a counterpoint. I see a few but not a lot. If you were to add all the sales of the 89-96 dodges together. It would equal the 00 ford diesel sales. Literally. There were not a lot made. Dodge accounted for about one third of the market between 89 and 96.
I made this point on the most durable thread. Some of those 94-96 dodges. Have a million miles on them though. So it is possible to get a million miles out of them. That seems to me like they hold up alright. I wouldnt want to foot the bill to get a pickup out to a million miles. My 94 f250 isnt gonna quite make it. But Ill give it a run for its money.

In fact there are many more incidences of ultra high mileage dodges. Even though there are 2 fords for every dodge sold. Statistically speaking. This is statistically significant.

I wouldnt want to wager my money on it. But I think dodges quality is way up. Jd power rated it higher than chevy and ford for initial quality not to long ago. Also in a 4 year study the cummins had half the issues the ford had and substantially less than the duramax. Still leaves you to deal with the transmission.

In a few years Im going to replace my old ford. If it lasts that long. I am trying to keep an open mind. I love my old idi for its simplicity and reliability. Who knows. I might just get another IDI. I just missed a 6.9 a week ago. Still kicking myself in the butt. I have good enough credit to buy new but I dont really need all the bells and whistles. Good old cheap reliable simplicity. Ok. Ill admit it. Im a cheap sob. Never really felt the need to keep up with the jones's. I dont have a 50 inch screen with 6.1 surround. I dont have a dvd player in my truck. But when it comes time to play. I have money to burn.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:56 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
This has been a good truck.Exactly and if one takes care of it with preventative maintenances, then it will last.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:52 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Dodge, is by far, number 3 in the heavy duty market.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:55 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
I wouldnt want to wager my money on it. But I think dodges quality is way up. Jd power rated it higher than chevy and ford for initial quality not to long ago. Also in a 4 year study the cummins had half the issues the ford had and substantially less than the duramax. Still leaves you to deal with the transmission.
For every hundred with problems - HD pickups brought back to dealer with issues:

Dodge 9
GM 12
Ford 18

Old 09-07-2004, 01:06 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boy I think its pretty close between 2 and 3. Id really like to see the latest numbers this year. I went to my state fair yesterday and you talk about a superduty dominance it was there. Odds are if there was a trailer there it was being pulled by a superduty. Did not hardly see a Dodge in sight. A few duramaxes not many. And tons of 6.0s. There selling folks. I believe people just waited for the problems to be worked out.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:23 PM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
Dodge, is by far, number 3 in the heavy duty market.
Yes they are. I also think it is difficult to determine who is actually #1. I have heard that GMC sells more trucks than Ford worldwide. Some people say well thats if include Chevrolet AND GMC. My friend seems to think the GMC trucks are better than Chevy trucks because you can get the more powerful engines and nicer interior in them. I checked the Chevy website and you can get the same engines in either truck... I also compared his work truck GMC interior with my work truck Chevrolet interior and they are identical. He still deludes himself into thinking the GMC is nicer but the only reason I prefer the Sierra over the Silverado is the grill and the headlights. So my question is- who is number 1 in the light-HD truck market and why?

Last edited by DieselDonor7.3; 09-07-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For every hundred with problems - HD pickups brought back to dealer with issues:

Dodge 9
GM 12
Ford 18

Its nice to post references when refering to numbers.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:06 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator

Dodge 9
GM 12
Ford 18
What source is this from

Quick Reply: Powerstroke sales