Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Powerstroke sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 05:28 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
What source is this from
I read similar numbers from jd power and assoc.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:13 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Similar numbers...hum...if it is off only by 4 (either way) it changes things radically...you see where I am going...these are typed numbers only....

Old 09-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Let me be more specific. I read numbers that supported what the post said. They were specifically for initial quality. None of these trucks are very old.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:33 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
The difficulty in posting numbers in a Forum like this is....it polarizes many of the members immediately, without quoting the source it can and will start a debate that will eventually go down. I never like to post numbers unless you can quote sources and make a link...very risky...some forums, it is OK...I am not saying you need a bibliography...if so MLA or APA would be appropriate…haha

Old 09-08-2004, 12:08 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
The difficulty in posting numbers in a Forum like this is....it polarizes many of the members immediately, without quoting the source it can and will start a debate that will eventually go down. I never like to post numbers unless you can quote sources and make a link...very risky...some forums, it is OK...I am not saying you need a bibliography...if so MLA or APA would be appropriate…haha
Tim you'd have to do some digging but the link has been posted before. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Sorry to polarize you...

Old 09-08-2004, 12:11 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
I read similar numbers from jd power and assoc.
Yup that's were they came from.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:14 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
Tim you'd have to do some digging but the link has been posted before. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Sorry to polarize you...
Does NOT polarize me....does others quickly

Old 09-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
I found more on the subject.
TRICKY PROBLEMS. Ford, by any calculation, needs the most work. Last year alone, recalls and other quality gaffes cost the company at least $1 billion, says CEO Jacques A. Nasser. Now, Ford is pinning its quality hopes on Six Sigma, a data-driven method pioneered by industrial giants such as AlliedSignal Inc. and Motorola Inc.
I recall Ironman mentioning sigma six quality control.

They actually mention a complete redesign with no parts carrying over is one of the worst things you can do to quality.

Toyota still has the highest quality. I cannot understand why detroit cannot catch up. Gm finally got their name on the list of foreign car manufacturers in 01. But not number 1 2 or 3.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 09-09-2004 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:34 AM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
I forget where I read it and what year it was but this was my understanding for ranking according to overall quality/reliability:

1.Toyota
2.Honda
3.GMC

#1 proves true with the Toyota Corolla obviously.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:03 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Six Sigma..in the auto industry would be tuff to acheive....capable in the electrical sector…but auto

Old 09-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DieselDonor7.3
I forget where I read it and what year it was but this was my understanding for ranking according to overall quality/reliability:

1.Toyota
2.Honda
3.GMC

#1 proves true with the Toyota Corolla obviously.
The corolla is rated best bang for the buck year after year. I looked at their epa rating and with a manual, better choice in my opinion, they get up to 41 mpg. Not bad now that oil is 45 bucks a barrel.
Ford has adopted it regardless. They went so far as to provide an example where it worked well. They had a problem with the doors on the f150 not lining up. So they put the sigma quality control to work. Turned out it was the order in which you put the bolts in the hinges for the door. So they developed a proper order to install the bolts and quality issues with the doors went down over 60%.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:05 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
I found more on the subject. I recall Ironman mentioning sigma six quality control.

They actually mention a complete redesign with no parts carrying over is one of the worst things you can do to quality.

Toyota still has the highest quality. I cannot understand why detroit cannot catch up. Gm finally got their name on the list of foreign car manufacturers in 01. But not number 1 2 or 3.
Its very easy to understand this. Toyota does not change much. Take the Camery, I've owned 2 over the last 10 years. It is still basically the same car it was 10 years ago. It has great quaility but every year C&D knocks it for being dumpy.

It takes years and a paradim shift to improve quality in any thing. For an automaker to do it they have to go back to the drawing board. They have to start with the smallest parts and work there way up. Until you have 6 sigma on each part you can't hope to have it for an assembly much less a finished product.

Quality also increases cost until you finally have the quality built in. This is why established companies have such a hard time with it. They operate on ROI's. No return as in profit, no fix. They are not interested in just breaking either.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:46 PM
PowerStroke King
Senior User
Six Sigma..in the auto industry would be tuff to acheive....capable in the electrical sector…but auto
Untrue. There are two "six sigmas" tossed out conceptually here.

(a) "Six Sigma" is a total quality management philosophy and management approach, covering all aspects of business, and deals with using and implementing best-practices. This is a philosophy, and is very tied into business strategy, and can include concepts such as "how much internal parts do we roll-over into the new F-XXX design"

(b) Six sigma wide control limits are used for statistical quality control practices in parts & suppliers who provide parts and materials for auto manufacturers. Statistical quality control charts are maintained on production lines for piece parts ... as well as at higher levels of auto production and final assembly using non-conformity controls, such as C or U control charts.

The numbers Logical Heretic gave above must be understood with other information for a complete understanding. Those numbers are the very highest levels of non-conformity feedback, and could range from problems such as a customer complaint that there is a "scratch" on the paint received during shipping ... to a screw left off of a clothes-hanger hook during production ... or a major assembly fault which appears in the first 1,000 miles of driving (e.g. missing fuel filter gasket).

ALL the auto-makers use 6-sigma control charts by the hundreds at various levels, most of which is internal to parts suppliers and sub-system suppliers.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:00 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Understood, I am writing of the car the rolls off the assembly line.
Not components and not sub-systems.
The CAR itself!

Old 09-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
The example they supplied was of doors not lining up on the assembly line. It wasnt the door. It was the assembly process.
They have a cord they pull if they cannot complete the task in the allotted time. Everytime the cord is pulled it stops the assembly line. They are figuring out what tasks cause the slowdowns and are improving those tasks.

Quick Reply: Powerstroke sales