General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Suggestions for Surround Sound System under $700

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 05:47 PM
ANAP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Surround Sound System under $700

What is a good setup for under $700? If anyone has suggestions please let me know or provide some info on experience with certain models.

Thanks

ANAP

Old 08-28-2004, 05:51 PM
kooper909
Elder User
I have an RCA RT-DVD1 complete system that I got at Radio Shack for $300. It's quite good, especially considering the price. It has a built-in DVD player, 200 watts total power, CD-R/RW and MP3 CD playback, Dolby Digital, Pro Logic II ... I like it.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:01 PM
ANAP
Senior User
Thanks for the info!! Does it has more than 1 set of A/V inputs/outputs to connect other sources? Such as a video game system???

Old 08-28-2004, 06:20 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
to build a good low budject system

spend about $300 on the reciever , pioneer is alway's a good bet 300 to 400 from Rex tv

dvd player $79- to 175.00 again i went with pioneer there are lots to choose from.. but now 1 remote works both ,also make sure the dvd player has a opticial output for digital suround sound

speakers, do some research on this there are some style to choose from..but i went with sony's woofer $400-700 and sattlite speaker system ..

its alway's better to buid a system than buying a "all in one" you can alway's upgrade a little at a time

here a good link for you.on what surround is about ect ect....http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...6_4151,00.html

and this one is on the recievers them selves.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...6_4153,00.html

Last edited by f=2504by497; 08-28-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
700 dollars is really a 'budget' system

For the receiver, as mentioned - Pioneer would definately be a good idea. Can't go wrong with them, and they're price isn't half bad. I don't know if, with this much money that you want to invest, I'd go with a 300-400 dollar receiver though. a 200-250 would be about good for you. Just make sure it has enough A&V jacks as you anticipate you'll need, has a 100x5 wattage(If not more..but not at the 200-250 price), and the format support you need. DVD player, as mentioned, for a decent one (Pioneer again, or even a Samsung or something) will put you back about another 100 bucks. There's no reason you couldn't get cheaper - just as long as it has the proper outputs on the back to tie into the receiver for you.

Then looking at the speakers, focus on their sensativity. This will be rated like 89db, 91, 93, etc. This is how effective the speakers are at turning the receiver's wattage into sound for your enjoyment. RMS wattage will tell you whether they're up to the task on your receiver. Also, make sure that the cabinet of the speaker is of good quality - a bad box can ruin a speaker.

The place to start is your center channel. Make sure you get something that is a "good" brand here. You can't get something necessarily cheap here - this is where your dialog and sound balance come from alot. Don't skimp here...you'll probably need to spend at least 150 dollars on the center channel. Front speakers need to have a good all-around frequency. I managed to find a pair of 3-way Yamaha bookshelfs for 50 bucks on the net, and they're excellent. Any speaker will do, don't be scared of a 2-way speaker either - 3-ways would be preferred though. You could probably, with some searching for sales and whatnot, pickup a pair of front speakers for 50-100 dollars, just depends. If you find a good deal like I did, or what. Closeout items are really good here. Keep your eye on all the major electronics websites (Best Buy, American, etc - whatever you have locally). I got my Yamaha's for 50 with free shipping off their site - awesome. Ok..the rear set of speakers. Generally your rears don't need to be quite as big as the front speakers, but it wouldn't hurt either. They're never going to receive the 'workout' that those front will. You don't have to spend quite as much money here as the other areas...this will probably be another 50-75 area. Just don't get something too cheap or too weak, or you'll lose that element in the system. Subwoofer...eh that's if you have money left over. Depending on what you spend on the rest of the system - which is where you really need to spend your money - you might be able to get a starting out subwoofer. It doesn't take alot of wattage to put out good bass in a home system, either. The box design in home stuff takes care of that nicely. Of course, it can't hurt either. Look at probably 100-125 here for a subwoofer. It'll be self-powered, as well.

Example

Receiver - 200 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1&type=product

DVD Player - 80 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product (Could have gone cheaper here..but this one is definately a GOOD DVD player..)

Center Channel - 150 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....6&type=product (Good Sensativity, GREAT name brand, at a low price. If you want..you could upgrade to a 200 dollar one though)

Front & Rear Speakers - 200 (100x2) - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product (JBL Speakers sound GREAT. Not the biggest..if you wanted you could go bigger here. Or spend less on the rear)

Subwoofer - 100 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....5&type=product (Not the biggest, but it will give you all the low end kick that you need, and allow your other speakers to do the rest - not mess with the bass)

Ok, for this system build up I did, I came out to 730 dollars. This is a relatively respectible system. Not the greatest, but not the worst you could do either. You could have an all in one . If you can find a sale in one or more areas, then you could begin upgrading the other components as necessary with the extra 'cap' room. Now with this setup...you have to remember you're gonna pay another 50 bucks or so for cables. You could save money though by going with a cheaper (but still good - this DVD player is awesome though) DVD player, or not getting the subwoofer to begin with (but where's the fun). You might also look at your friend's and see if any of them will be upgrading their systems anytime - maybe pick up their nice front channels they got a while back that sound really good. This system will perform exceptionally well with the mid and high frequencies - with that subwoofer backing things up on the low end. Without the subwoofer, you might be a bit lacking in the bass department, the JBL bookshelves don't have a very large cabinet. Anyways...happy building! Just thought I'd do my part to help!

Old 08-28-2004, 07:39 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
that is a pretty good build for a system...hmmm me likee....

Old 08-28-2004, 07:47 PM
ANAP
Senior User
Originally Posted by Saurian
Anyways...happy building! Just thought I'd do my part to help!

That was great!!! Thanks for the info...so you are saying this would be better than a system like the following???
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product

Old 08-28-2004, 07:57 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
yes....you can always upgrade each piece .when you can afford to...ive never been a fan of all in one systems

Old 08-28-2004, 08:03 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Talking

this is the reciever that i would buy if it was me.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...702355,00.html

..also did you read up that first link for poineer, alot of good info on what dts isabout and also the one on setting up speakers is good to...

now if i had money to blow than this is what i'd get.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...448491,00.html

Last edited by f=2504by497; 08-28-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Fair 96
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought Denon 384 very very nice but not cheap.........

Old 08-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
ANAP, that all-in-one system would likely not dissapoint you. It would sound perfectly fine for you, would be easy to set up, and would certainly impress your friends. However..the only thing its got going for it is the subwoofer - I'd take that subwoofer any day ^_^.

First, look at its power ratings. The 10% THD is what stands out to me. That stands for Total Harmonic Distortion. How much distortion the harmonics (sound) receives when being cranked out of that amplifier at the advertised wattage. It advertises a high wattage, but at the cost of sound quality. That's also likely an inflated number, through whatever trick you may want to choose. Any dedicated, stand alone A/V receiver (Denon, Pioneer, Panasonic) is probably going to have <1% THD for its power ratings. This results in a much crisper sound, more sound for the power as well. Think of it as a stock head unit in your truck vs a new cd player. The stock unit will crackle when you get into even mid-level volume, but that CD player will keep on going. Same here.

Secondly, the size of those speakers, both actual speakers and their cabinets. Sure the Sony's are 2-ways in the center and front's like the one's I 'spec'd' for you, but the size of the speakers is different. Plus, Klipsch and JBL are both BIG names in the home audio market. Read that as: Anything from them is going to throw great sound. The Sony center channel has a pair of 2.75" woofers, while the Klipsh packs a pair of 4" woofers to throw the sound at you. The front speakers are also blown away by the JBL's. Again, small woofer's compared to the JBL 4" woofers. I should mention that there were 3-way Sony bookshelf speakers that were in the same 'price range' for the JBL's, but I figured I'd spec the JBL's because while I was at Best Buy last and got to actually mess with the Sony speakers, I found their construction to be dissapointing. Their woofer design seemed cheap, the surrounds were hardly what I would concider durable-feeling and looking, and the tweeter appeared to be a cheap laminate-on-dome unlike the titanium on the JBL's. And the rear channel's...1-way speakers are HORRIBLE. And for all of these speakers, the box designs are small to make them easily placed in a home. Bigger they are..the more often that they won't be bought due to not fitting someplace. The cabinets on that system are all together too small.

As I mentioned..that sub would be nice to add to any system though. 200+ rated watts of power dropping into that sub, plus the fact its a twin-subwoofer design. This system is very much reliant on that sub. The speakers are all together incapable of producing tactile bass. They can give you the highs, and those woofers might be good for alright midrange sound - but they'd be aweful in the low end. That sub has to compensate and do all of that. And with the 10% THD..that's scary. Try and turn it up..and it might not sound so great.

I will say though - that Sony system will sound good for you. It won't be spectacular, but for 700 dollars, anything you buy will sound good. It's a decent package, but for the money you could have better - like what I picked out above to give you an example of exactly what you could grab.

The speakers of my example system are top notch. Klipsch and JBL are known for their sound quality, reliability, and just all around good setups. I think that with the 4 JBL's and the Klipsch center, you could really feel the music. The JBL's, however, aren't large enough to give you good bass. You'd have to move further up the model (and price) range to get bass from bookshelf speakers. Which is where the subwoofer steps in. That small subwoofer I tacked on will firm up the lower end. Unlike that Sony system, the JBL/Klipsh package will give you bass and midrange coverage, but the bass will leave something to be desired. 4" woofers aren't able to answer the call of booming bass. But they will do a heck of a lot better then the 2.75" ones on the Sony.

In the end, its your money - and your ears. I'd almost recommend the Sony system though. Everything's the same, Sony's made sure that it sounds pretty good (home audio is about as competitive as the family sedan market, ya know!), everything will go together easily, you'll have an 800 number to call probably. It'll be the simplest way to get your surround system moving. But it won't be giving you everything you could have for your money. You could find those speakers cheaper elsewhere too. Just have to know where to look, if you want me to I could try to find some other places wher the prices are lower. As I said before - just doing my part.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:15 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
saurian, just so you know the one reason that i'm against all in one systems, is that if the dvd /cd goes south the whole system is out for repairs or if you want to upgrade one piece can't . yes the do sound good but as for being able to upgrade you can't, for instance a new format of dvd's come out, with a componant system you just go out and buy a newer dvd player...

the other issue is heat dissapation...with.a all an one system, all the heat is contained in the one unit...where as a componant system spreads the same amount of heat over several units.....especially the receiver its self, a good amp generates a lot of heat..good heat dissaption is must.......

and on resale value .....componant systems have higher resale value over a all in one...
i could sit here and make alot more points and reasons about why someone should go one way or another...but its not my money that i'm spending..
all i can say is do your own reseach, good luck..and lets us know what you get....

Old 08-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
I got my Yamaha YHT750 System from fry's electronics for $399.00 on a sale they had. it come with Seven Speakers, Five Disk DVD-MP3-MPEG player, Then a 900 Watt Reciever System. It has too many options to post here, But look it up at Yamaha.

You just have to ready when these sales go on. The retail price was $900.00 US at all other stores.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LnhYDKC...&avf=N&search=

This isn't necessarily a sale that gives you a good product cheaper then what has been offered, but gives you a great product at the price level that your range afford. Infinity Alpha series center channel, retail of 300 for 150 dollars. Definately a nice center channel. Just gotta look around for sales.