Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Rear Springs Collapsed

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 12:11 PM
Rmcmorris
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Springs Collapsed

I noticed the rear of my 92 Extended AWD was really sagging (115K). Upon closer inspection, I see that the tops of the rear springs appear to be compressed. On the drivers side, the first 3 coils (9 coil total) are compressed together, and on the passenger side, the first 4 are compressed (the coils are touching each other).

I guess I need to replace them, but is this how springs normally fail? I'm not sure of the mechanics behind it, but the steel must lose its ability to maintain shape. There are no obvious cracks.

The shocks are newish, but I do not think the shocks play much of a part in actually holding the suspension up.

I'd like to hear about any other similar experiences with springs.

Thanks,

Regan

Old 12-31-2002, 12:36 PM
I 94 SOUTH
New User
Rear Springs Collapsed

HI
I think that aerostars have a proplems with the oem rear springs. i have 2 aerostars a 87 and a 89 and both rear springs on both vans are broken around the top.i got them at different times and both are from different owners.:-X23

Old 12-31-2002, 10:06 PM
I 94 SOUTH
New User
Rear Springs Collapsed

Old 01-01-2003, 05:44 AM
kenp
Senior User
Rear Springs Collapsed

Regan,
These vans do seem to have weak rear springs... makes the van sluggish in handling, etc too.
Try a set of Air Lift air bags... they're not expensive, they're guaranteed for life (not sure whose!), and you can adjust up and down for whatever level or load you want. I've put them in two extended Aeros and really like them. Normally keep about 15 psi in them around town.
Makes a world of difference in handling.
KenP

Old 01-10-2003, 01:09 AM
Rmcmorris
Freshman User
Rear Springs Collapsed

I ended up replacing the springs with a pair of Moog 11 coil (OEM is only 9 coil) cargo springs ($75 for the pair at Knecht's auto, a local auto chain). It was obvious right off by the weight of the new springs that there was twice as much metal as the OEM pair. Now the back sits up real nice, and it seems to drive a lot better (not so bouncy)!!

It started out being one of the easier repairs to do, but I ran into some trouble. So here are a few tips for those of you who want to replace your springs. 1. You will most likely need to remove one of the bolts from your shocks in order to drop the rear suspension far enough. 2. You should consider disconnecting the drive shaft from the rear differential. I got the springs in without doing that, but I think the rear suspension was hanging up on the universal joint or something, because I could not get the suspension to drop low enough. I almost broke my arm trying to compress the new springs to get them into place. I struggled for about an hour with the last spring trying all sorts of levers, bars, ropes, and clamps to get the *%$#* thing into place.

Here is more detail for those who want:
1. Jack up the back and place on jack stands.
2. Remove wheels.
3. Place a jack under rear differential and jack it up a bit.
4. Remove lower bolts from both shock absorbers.
5. Remove lower bolts from springs.
6. Disconnect drive shaft from rear differential.
7. Lower jack so that suspension drops, disengaging old springs.
8. Remove upper bolt from springs.
9. Reassemble with new springs.

Regan

Old 02-19-2003, 07:25 PM
misfits9net
Freshman User
Rear Springs Collapsed

I have GMC suburban front coils on the rear of the 93, i think anywhere from 88-98 they'll fit. little boit of lift (maybe 1") rides a little rougher though....

Old 02-21-2003, 05:05 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Rear Springs Collapsed

Yea,
I have noticed the AWD/extended length vans sag eventually in the rear, mine included. Then again, with 189k on it with all the stuff I put into it, a little sag is expected.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:19 AM
BigWhiteTurdVan
New User
Rear Springs Collapsed

Suburban front springs in the rear of an Aerostar? Does that work very good? Right now I have those stupid rubber coil spring spacers on mine and the rear still seems to be sagging. How does this setup handle being loaded? I would imagine that they are extremely stiff due to the extra weight of a burby and they are an A- arm setup so the spring rate and load is naturally alot high due to the added leverage.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:40 AM
misfits9net
Freshman User
Rear Springs Collapsed

The ride quality isn't the greatest. But the van is loaded up and pulling a trailer msot of the time. so for that, the extra cap. with out sagging too far worked for me...

Old 03-17-2003, 07:02 PM
dugsvan
New User
Rear Springs Collapsed

I've got a pair of coil over "helper" shocks on my 92 shorty. They were on they van when I bought it in 94. I've done a lot of hard pulling and the trailer I have has a tongue weight of 400 lbs! So far there seems to be little or no sinking in the rear! Maybe try these after you instal the new springs.