Sponsored by:

Hot Dipstick, C-6

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 07:27 PM
pilot815
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot Dipstick, C-6

I have an 88 Bronco with a 351 and a c-6. I have question on the tranny oil dipstick. The other day i took it for a short drive (2-3 min.) When i got back i checked the tranny oil. The dipstick was BURNING hot. The reading for the oil was very faint but could be seen (just barely). How much of this is normal?

Old 08-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Gary B
Senior User
how many miles on trans.?any shifting problems? does the fluid smell burnt(probally does) ,put some fluid on something clean and look for any debris in the fluid,(probally will be),you will have burnt clutchs and or burnt band, which will require trans. rebuild
if no shifting problems and fluid not burnt try changing the fluid and keep your fingers crossed

Old 08-22-2004, 08:52 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds normal. Isn't that dipstick located near the collector on on the pasenger side? That manifold gets pretty hot and would make the dipstick hot to the touch if so. And if the tranny fluid is so clean that you can hardly see it on the dipstick, that sounds good. You don't want to see burnt black fluid.

If the tranny is working properly and has enough fluid, then I doubt that you have a problem. Usually the first thing to go on a dying C6 is reverse, you will start to notice it taking longer and longer to go into reverse when cold, and then one day it won't go at all. Shortly after that, your forward gears will start to go , D, then 2, and finally low. That's the sequence that I have seen on many C6's that died - I've known a couple of people who had to drive a car with a dying C6 to the shop in low gear!

Old 08-22-2004, 09:53 PM
pilot815
Senior User
J Bronco sounds right. The trannt is clean, and when i changed the filter it was clean, no debris. My reverse is really strong but it has some trouble shifting to third. I need to take it and have it completly flushed (a full tranny job) and i hope it fixes all. It has only 100,000 miles on it coupled to a new engine.