Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CPS, Ford Bum Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 02:46 PM
jeff Heidel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPS, Ford Bum Warranty

My CPS failed at 32,000 miles and 2 years, still under full warranty. I replaced it myself in 15 minutes and was on my way again to an appointment. Well the next day I went to Ford to get a new CPS under warranty, they said they would not replace it because I repaired it and did not take it to a dealer. They wanted me to call a tow truck, wait around for an hour or so untill they came, tow me to a dealer and possibly damage my truck during the tow, then wait around the dealer for another couple of hours while they repaired it, maybe!!. Basically what they are saying is they will not replace a factory installed Ford part that failed under warranty. The regional headquarters said the same BS. Just thought I would rant!!!

Jeff

Old 08-17-2004, 02:53 PM
DaveK88
Freshman User
Damn, Sorry to hear that.

Has anyone ever noticed that a warrenty is actually one page of what is covered and 16 pages of how to get out of coving that one page.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Heaterman
Senior User
Same thing happened to me I had to change mine in my diveway one night because ford wouldnt honor the warrenty because it wouldnt stall out for them the three times I brought it there

Old 08-17-2004, 09:07 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you bought the new cps at a Ford dealer ,fixed your truck, then went with reciept in hand from that dealer,you should have been rembursed the cost of the cps. Whether you put it in or not.

Unless they have changed their policy ,which is possible

I had the lower radiator clamp break on mybrand new 02 f250(2 weeks old) ,puke all the antifreeze out in my drive way on a Friday afternoon 5opm Called Ford they said have it towed ,I said I'll fix it myself you provide me with clamps and new antifreeze . Went to my dealer 15 mins before they closed and they gave me everything .

The same thing happened on a smog pump that quit on a 460 yrs ago in a motorhome while on vacation ,bought a new one at a dealer on road ,kept reciept turned it in after return home to Ford dealer got my money.
The dealer on the road didn't have anyone available to work on my motorhome at the time thats why I did it myself in their lot

Did you replace with a ford part or aftermarket?
Find another dealer
Rich

Old 08-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Heaterman
Senior User
I bought it from the ford dealership parts dept. They werent going to replace it cause it wouldnt happen for them

Old 08-18-2004, 12:28 AM
Technitom
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
That is a shame, Some ford dealers will and some ford dealers wont...

Take mine for instance... He sells performance products on the side... I can have any mod I want, chips, tuners, intakes, exhaust, whatever, and as long as I buy it from HIM, and HE installs it, he will continue to cover my truck under the extended warranty. He even gave me a CPS sensor and tossed it in my glove box and wrote up the one in the truck as being bad.

now the prices on his performance products are STEEP, and I havent bought anything yet, but I'm considering whether to bite the bullet, 'cause I still have a year/20k miles left on the warranty.....

Old 08-18-2004, 08:54 AM
DaveK88
Freshman User
Jeff,
Don't just take the dealers word that Ford won't cover the part. Ford is very conserned about customer relationships. Find the local zone office and disscuss this problem with them. I did this a few years ago on an unrelated problem and did recieve satisfaction. Remember Ford the company wants your return business even if it is with another dealer

Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 AM
jeff Heidel
Freshman User
Dave,
When the dealer refused I asked them who could I talk to higher up, they gave me a 800 number I assume it was the zone office. The dealer and the zone both gave me the same story "They cannot reimberse me because their was a dealer that was available at the time of my failure, and I should of called them to get it toed to them for analysis". My point was that it was a ford part installed by the factory that failed under warranty.

Jeff

Old 08-18-2004, 10:49 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Jeff,

Who is the stealer, I mean Dealer? Want to make sure I put them on my "Avoid" list.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:57 AM
jeff Heidel
Freshman User
Sunset Ford, west Bell road.

Jeff

Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear that, that's who I have used on my other autos and my current PSD. They are only a few miles form my home.

I'm not overly impressed with their diesel service anyway. Took my PSD in 3 times to get a pinion seal leak repaired under warranty.

Their parts guys have given me wrong parts before, only to say, "well it looked the same", blah, blah, blah.

Been getting most of my parts at Bell Ford for now.

Guess I'll have to search some other dealers here in Phoenix

Old 08-18-2004, 11:18 AM
jeff Heidel
Freshman User
Yes I use Bell Ford a lot for parts, most of the guys seem to know their job.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff and Heatstroked,

I too use Bell ford, but I have found five star ford to be better priced on parts etc.

Fire Rooster

Old 08-18-2004, 02:16 PM
jeff Heidel
Freshman User
Thanks Fire, I will try them

Old 08-19-2004, 01:24 PM
JMorton
Senior User
Well, in Ford's defense, that policy is correct. Ford will only honor the warranty if a factory trained technician using Ford's diagnostic equipment works on the vehicle. Ford has to have all the I's dotted and the T's crossed as far as diagnosis is concerned even though the CMP sensor is such a common failure. If Ford allowed this to happen, they would go bankrupt due to the millions of fraudulent claims they would recieve if they let the owner do his own warranty work. All of the other manufacturers are the same way, trust me, I've worked for several of them in the past.