Water Pump Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 07:56 PM
BigBadJohn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump Questions

Hello all,

The Waterpump on my 97 F250 7.3 Powerstroke has the cast-in downpipe for the lower radiator hose. Everywhere I look, this pump wasn't on the 97, but was on the 95 and MAYBE 96. Do I need to check and see if I've got an earlier engine? If so, what's the easiest way to tell? Also, is any play in the pump normal, or should it be tight. I have what sounds like a shot bearing in the pulley system somewhere that I can't track down. I've listened with a hose everywhere I can reach and the only thing I can find wrong is a little wobble of the waterpump shaft. The sound gets a lot quiter after the truck is warmed up, if that's any help.

Thanks,

John

Old 08-16-2004, 08:13 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't worry about the style of the water pump. they are all the same thing. not sure which is stock and which is replacement. the water pumps come in those two styles and they interchange between the 94.5 thru the 97's. the wobble depends on the amount. generally a pump will leak when the bearings are going bad. try using a long screw driver and put your ear to it to isolate the noise. the water pump is difficult to check because of the fan.

hope this helps
tjbeggs

Old 08-17-2004, 04:28 AM
tobetaxfree
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to replace my water pump also. I have a 97 f350. Maybe this is over doing it, but since I have 200,000 miles, I went ahead and replaced both idlers. They are not that expensive, if I remember like 8-10 bucks. Turned out one definitely had bad bearings, the other was okay. I also did the thermostat and all the hoses. The fan clutch was fine, but you might want to check that too.