Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Sailor_Roy

Where are we going from here? NEED INPUT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Where are we going from here? NEED INPUT!

OK, I do realize it's summer and a lot of folks just aren't spending as much time on the internet, but it seems that interest in the Drifters has dwindled to a trickle.... if not a complete standstill.

That causes some concerns for me...and should for the rest of you also. There's been no interest at all for the Northwest Mt meet this year...except at the initial concept of the idea. Then people seemed to realize that it could cost time and money to come here and could they get away from their jobs, etc. So.. as far as it goes... it looks like the meet is a dead horse and I'm not going to flog it anymore.

In order to have a successful chapter, we need participation other than just in this forum. So, I guess we need to make some decisions and go from there. The Iowa chapter kicked into gear, worked at it and got their own chapter and seem to be going for the gusto. So what is wrong with the rest of this situation?

Does the Drifters consist of too many states with too much distance between each area?

Should we, as individual states, form our own chapters?

What should I, as leader, ask of you all for participation?

Those are just a few of the questions I have for now. I feel like we are spinning our wheels and before I invest in having bumper stickers made, or anything else for that matter...I think we need to decide where we are going as a multi-state chapter...or if we are going anywhere. This just can't work, being a winter only group.

I realize it's much easier for the more populated states to get their chapters organized, with presidents, treasurers, secretaries and the whole 9 yards, but with us being so spread out... I just can't see how this is all going to work as a single unit. Are we just kidding ourselves into thinking a multi-state chaper can work? (Especially one that covers such a large area.)

I need your input! Where are we going from here?

Old 08-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
what the hell are you doing?

Old 08-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Originally Posted by Mattsbox99
what the hell are you doing?
Im asking some questions that to me need to be answered. Before I invest my own money into making bumper stickers or anything else, I want to know if the effort and expense are going to be worthwhile. I've already spent a lot of time trying to make a logo that would please EVERYONE. But I am not going to have 50 or a hundred bumper stickers made if I have to eat most of them.

This forum has about three people who use it regularly. I want to see what kind of input I get, if any. If people want the Drifters to keep on keeping on, then I need to know. If people want something else, I would like to know. If people want a different leader...that's fine too...but I need to know why no one is participating here and where they want this Chapter to go, if anywhere.

Is there something wrong with asking?

Old 08-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
nothing wrong with asking....

You don't need to make 50 bumper stickers, 10 or 15 is plenty, you don't even have to have them made right now.

I really appreciate your enthusiasm with the forum, I'm jealous of your ability to be here.

The logo is perfect, it has been for a long time. If you don't like it, feel free to modify it to your personal liking. I don't particularly care, I'll wear it.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:17 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Time, money, and ,most of all, distance are probably the big three. This is a young chapter. We don't have to go all out the first year. I'd be getting ready to head out your way if my financial situation was better and the truck didn't need fixin'.

Breaking into individual state chapters would probably not work right now. There's what, three or four North Dakotans, including me.

Maybe we should just focus on next spring. Maybe get a meet going before everyone sets into the summer swing. Maybe try someplace a bit more centralized like Billings. I don't know. I have to quit typing, my wrists are killing me.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:23 PM
fordloverf2501970
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i enjoyed the high plains first unoffical meet, when me and mtflatt got togather down in missoula, i still drift in here once in a while but mostly i am in the iowa forum

Old 08-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Tuesday I will contact the people about bumper stickers and see if I have to have a minimum order amount. Personally, I liked the logo with the sunset colors in the background...and I don't think it really matters if we have the colored one or the plain one or both for the Chapter logo. I am going to see if they can make two sets of stickers.. one plain, like I last submitted and one with the sunset colors surrounding the rider. I believe the main reason we ditched the colors was to lessen expenses for the screen printing costs...if we were to ever have screen printing done. I think the rider with the colors behind him would look great and go along with the colors of the FTE logo. In any case, since the plain one was approved by folks, it will be the first option I look at. If I can do both, I will do so.

I sent an email to Dennis asking some questions, but haven't heard back from him. If FTE does indeed do the shirts for us all, they probably will want to go with the white background also, to keep costs down.

Anyway.... my questions don't just pertain to the lack of intrest in the meet here in Kalispell. With the general lack of interest here, since the Iowan's got their chapter, I was and am still wondering how much participation people want to have in the chapter.

Active chapters have organized very well. They have their president, secretary, treasurer, etc. We are allowed to make and sell things with our logo on it as long as all profits go back into the Chapter, so in the long run we have a lot of things we can do to try to gain more interest and participation.
The Kansas Chapter , I think, has a website set up with mugs and some other things with their logo on it for sale. The profits can go to organize meets, pay some of the costs of the meet, buy banners, advertising, etc. And I think that is a totally cool idea for us somewhere down the road.

I am not freaking out... I am just looking for some input from those of you who hold a sincere interest in getting the Drifters organized and doing something. I've seen local car clubs grow from tiny little car shows here to shows with over 200 cars coming from out of state and all over. My vision for the Drifters is to eventually do some of the same things. I'd love to organize a Ford Truck Show, sponsored by the High Plains Drifters, in each of our states.
And then watch it grow over the years. The Kansas Chapter has really stepped out in front and has organized some pretty cool things. Hopefully, we can get some kind of interest generated among the members of 4 states, if Kansas can do it for one.

OK..of my soap box for now. I still would like to see more input from the rest of you guys as to the questions I asked, plus any suggestions or questions you all might have.

Dick

Old 08-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fordlover1951
I am not freaking out...

yes you are...FTE is growing at an amazing pace. We just need to wait for the HPD/C to grow with it

Old 08-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Originally Posted by Mattsbox99
yes you are...FTE is growing at an amazing pace. We just need to wait for the HPD/C to grow with it
Am not.

You'll be the first one I inform when I prepare to freak out. Now..on with business.....

Old 08-09-2004, 10:25 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Distance, unfortunately is probably the number one problem, especially with the state we are dealing with. Even when I was living in South Dakota, and if I still was, it would have been difficult to make it to the meets, and when your largest participants are in Montana, it is hardly justified to move it to the other staes. I will be dealing with the same problem with meetings here, but I'll find a way. I have a bit more people resources here, but it will come in time for you guys, but remember that you are in a less populated area, and it will be tougher to get the participation and membership numbers. Try making some flyers and mail to the dealers of your area to get noticed. The only reason I found this site was I was looking for parts for my truck, I didn't even know FTE existed, so basically a public campaign may help, but as you say, keep your costs in check. It may be such that some of the things may need to wait. If the cost is what you had posted before, I unfortunatel would have to decline, as money is tight right now since I have next to no income. Contact as many car clubs as you can find, they are the kind of person we want anyway. Let me know if you want some info on South Dakota, or some of the guys in SD may be able to help better as well. I still have some of the phone books, and know of the carclub in Huron, they may be able to help as well.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

OK..this is what I'm looking for.... good ideas. Thanks fellro86!

If I make up something that we can each print out, would some of you be willing to stick one at the local grocery stores on their bulletin boards and at the local Ford Dealers? Contacting local car clubs is a great idea... I'm sure some of them might be interested in having a dual-meet...custom hotrods and Ford Trucks. As I said before, I'll try to get hold of the Glacier Street Rod Assn. here and see what kind of interest could be generated..if any. ( They have requirements that their display cars be of certain age..so a lot of us would be classed out...but...lets cross that bridge later.)

I agree.... the chapter is growing slowly and probably will for a while. The admin have asked me if we had elected treasurers, etc. I had to respond no, so that is another reason for this thread. We need to get people for secretary and treasurer as time goes on.

As for meets...yeah...we be spread out good. Perhaps each state organize it's own meet? I dont know... this is where your input comes in handy.

I am not the only Chapter Leader who is excited about this opportunity. We all want our chapters to grow. We want FTE to grow. We all have looked ahead to a vision of becoming the largest Truck Club in the nation with a bit of work. Personally.... I think the idea is kick@%%!

Anyway... all your comments and suggestions are being noted......more input!

(and... Matt? .... quit freaking out! I have my own ways of doing things...sometimes to get attention you need to do just that. So far, it seems to be working.)

Old 08-09-2004, 08:16 PM
big hoss 29
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I for one would like to join the Drifters, but I'm still looking for a job so I can afford to go to gatherings. I like it here in Billings and want to go see different places and meet Ford folks, but it's hard when your'e scraping by. My interest hasn't dropped off, but my funds sure have!

Old 08-10-2004, 08:30 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
I'm off to Havre for a few days to help a friend with a building project so I won't be online. Out in the toolies......

I'm good with whatever you guys come up with. I'm happy to be part of the support cast here. I've got too many irons in the fire to get too involved with the club, but I'm pulling for ya Fordlover51! You guys are still welcome anytime you get out this way.

Gotta go.........

Old 08-10-2004, 10:28 PM
MontanaFord
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i ain't real sure how to "get the ball rolling" as far as organizations and all...and right now i'm so busy with work and gittin set for bow season that i only get a little bit of time each night to check postings and such....but i still would like to get together with you and tim, Fordlover51...coffee sometime...but it'd prob. hafta be before bow season, and that's only 24 days away...lol...c-ya'll soon

Michael

Old 08-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Originally Posted by big hoss 29
I for one would like to join the Drifters, but I'm still looking for a job so I can afford to go to gatherings. I like it here in Billings and want to go see different places and meet Ford folks, but it's hard when your'e scraping by. My interest hasn't dropped off, but my funds sure have!
Hey hoss.... it don't cost a thing to join. (We'll soak ya in the coming years with all the cool goodies we gonna design and have made to make money for the chapter.) lol