Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cheap upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 11:22 PM
kc2006
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap upgrades

Are there any mods that you can do with out buying parts, like little stock stuff that you crank up or with buying under 20 dollar things? I know of a few mods for the ls1's and old style small block chevies, just wanted to know if anything was right in front of my nose for extra cheap horsepower. Thanks

Old 07-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by kc2006
Are there any mods that you can do with out buying parts, like little stock stuff that you crank up or with buying under 20 dollar things? I know of a few mods for the ls1's and old style small block chevies, just wanted to know if anything was right in front of my nose for extra cheap horsepower. Thanks
The Clamp!
http://forums.ford-trucks.com/ubbthr...5&o=31&fpart=1

Old 07-31-2004, 09:24 AM
kc2006
Senior User
Talking

I dont understand I'll have to re read it a few times.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:34 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what truck/ engine/ year do you have

Old 07-31-2004, 10:50 AM
kc2006
Senior User
opps. its a 96 f250 4x4 regular cab, 7.3

Old 07-31-2004, 11:05 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
opps. its a 96 f250 4x4 regular cab, 7.3
well that throughs out all the wastegate mods. on that year truck the 10k mod is a cheap power upgrade, i think you can also shim the fuel pressure regulator. but doing these mods will raise you egt and you need to have gauges to watch every thing, especially if you do not upgrade the intake and exhaust. if you look towards the upper right hand side of the main 7.3 forum you will see a box that says "search forum" you can click on that and type in "10 k mod" or "shim fuel pressure regulator" and you should find more info on those mods. maybe some of the other guys with that gen. of powerstroke will chime in

Old 07-31-2004, 11:51 AM
kc2006
Senior User
I will be getting a 4" exhaust with 3" downpipe and a intake for the truck but not for a couple months. A friend that has a diesel performance shop told me about a valve that ups the boost. He has a dodge and he put one of these valves on his and it gave him 14 more lbs of boost, he said the valve is like 20 bucks so I'm going to get one from him. I'll do a search on the 10k mod and read up on it.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:59 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
I will be getting a 4" exhaust with 3" downpipe and a intake for the truck but not for a couple months. A friend that has a diesel performance shop told me about a valve that ups the boost. He has a dodge and he put one of these valves on his and it gave him 14 more lbs of boost, he said the valve is like 20 bucks so I'm going to get one from him. I'll do a search on the 10k mod and read up on it.
you truck does not have a waste gate so if he talking about some mod for that he does not know what he is talking about and i would keep him away from your truck. the turbo charger on his dodge is a bit different than the one on you ford so his valve might not work, and finally if he has something that will increase boost 14psi for $20.00 he should start selling them for $200.00 each and retire, i have spent $2500-$3000 to increase the boost on my truck 11-13 psi

i just reread my post it sounds a little harsh, i do not mean to bash your buddy. just be carefull of huge improvments for little money. it may not give you what they claim or worse take you motor out, the exhaust and intake are a good start, and i would reccomend you do them before you do the other mods...good luck have fun

sorry i get a little over zelous

Last edited by wlihntr; 07-31-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:03 PM
kc2006
Senior User
thats fine, I know for a fact that he did this to his dodge though because he showed it to me. started at 20psi and jumped to 34 after he did it. He may be thinking about the newer fords or something, he doesn't know exactly what i have because every time i talk to him i have to remind him what year it is. So i'll have to call him and see what he says now. Thanks for the help and the info, I'm new to fords too

Old 07-31-2004, 04:59 PM
kc2006
Senior User
Next question, anyone make their own cold air intake? I think it wouldn't be that hard to make my own just wanted to see if anyone else did it.

Old 07-31-2004, 05:17 PM
refuse2
Senior User
I did just what cookie had posted and it works great. Very easy and cheap to the most expensive thing was the filter. If you plan on doing make sure that they have the filter, my parts store around here had to order it and it was still $26 at my cost but I have heard of others saying they paid about $40 for theres so good luck.

refuse2

Old 07-31-2004, 08:48 PM
kc2006
Senior User
Ok I went to the store to buy the 4" pipe, air filter and the rubber insulator or whatever you want to call it. I was looking at the Purolator filter the correct one that everyone uses to duplicate the tymar intake and I noticed it didnt have that little flange to put a clamp on and clamp it to the pipe, it was just flat so there would be no way to seal it to the pipe. Is the napa or the baldwin filter different then this?

Also where do you guys get the 4" exhaust tubing? I went to the parts stores and no one has it, summit doesnt have it. A semi truck shop carry the stuff?

Last edited by kc2006; 07-31-2004 at 08:56 PM. Reason: needed to add
Old 07-31-2004, 10:16 PM
refuse2
Senior User
The pipe that I used I got for my big trucks so I would say a truck stop would carry it I used Carquest filter #88637 and had no problems it was even coated with the repealant on the outside for the moisture I think is said duraline or something like that. The only think that I couldn't find around here was the constant torque clamp so I used a regular hose clamp and tightened the hell out of it and check it about once a month or so but it worked great. Hope that this helps.

refuse2

Old 08-01-2004, 10:51 AM
kc2006
Senior User
I have a question about K&N air filters. I was doing a search on the tymar intake system and alot of people don't like the k&n filters (just the filter not the intake system). I do alot of drag racing (in my race car not the diesel) and K&N was always thought to be the best there is among all the drag racers i've ever seen (minus the ones that don't run a air cleaner). How come alot of the diesel guys on here don't like the filters? I was out looking for a filter to make my home made intake and I'm not going to spend 50 bucks on a cheap brand paper throw away when I can get the k&N for 45 bucks and use it for probably the whole life of my truck. I don't do alot of work with the truck just light stuff so heavy dusty areas arent a problem. I just wanted to see why alot of you guys like the paper ones better when its been proven that k&n's flow better and clean better. Thanks

Old 08-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
I have a question about K&N air filters. I was doing a search on the tymar intake system and alot of people don't like the k&n filters (just the filter not the intake system). I do alot of drag racing (in my race car not the diesel) and K&N was always thought to be the best there is among all the drag racers i've ever seen (minus the ones that don't run a air cleaner). How come alot of the diesel guys on here don't like the filters? I was out looking for a filter to make my home made intake and I'm not going to spend 50 bucks on a cheap brand paper throw away when I can get the k&N for 45 bucks and use it for probably the whole life of my truck. I don't do alot of work with the truck just light stuff so heavy dusty areas arent a problem. I just wanted to see why alot of you guys like the paper ones better when its been proven that k&n's flow better and clean better. Thanks
As long as you keep up with the cleaning of the filter you're ok. From the sounds of your post, you can count yourself among that crowd.
The round K&N's that connect directly to the intake hose are good. I think the issue is with the flat one's that go into the stock air box. They don't seal up that well and allow grit around the filter and into the turbo.