2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L -> gas -> 87 regular ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 01:01 PM
YOMAN
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L -> gas -> 87 regular ??

Please tell me its use a regular gas ????!!! is it ??

Thanks!
YOMAN!

Old 07-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
yes, use regular gas in these trucks.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:10 PM
YOMAN
Elder User
WHEW! hehehe i totally forget what F150 '04 truck use gas!!! cuz i was so exciting cuz i m going to pick FX4 screw up this sunday!

if its peruims gas then i ll back out !

Thanks!
YOMAN!

Old 07-29-2004, 01:14 PM
gmcplus03
Senior User
87 octane is good for stock on these trucks, but if you add tuners, chips, etc they will run better on premium gas. just my experience on prior vehicles that i have owned.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
jbftx
Freshman User
Everything seems to run better on premium, and no car requires premium. The cars that recommend premium will certainly run better with it but it's not necessary and no damage will occur if you use regular or mid-grade (not that I'm saying you shouldn't use premium in those engines because they perform better with it, but necessary? nope.)

Old 07-29-2004, 06:53 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by jbftx
Everything seems to run better on premium, and no car requires premium. The cars that recommend premium will certainly run better with it but it's not necessary and no damage will occur if you use regular or mid-grade (not that I'm saying you shouldn't use premium in those engines because they perform better with it, but necessary? nope.)
Years back I had an 88 Mustang GT that took premium. I was dirt poor then so i put regular in it once. Once! That sucker pinged like BB's were being shot at my hood. Ever since then if it says premium then I put premium in.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Droog
Junior User

Everything doesn't necessarily run better on premium. Premium gasoline is just fuel that resists combustion better than regular unleaded. If you have an engine with timing, compression and spark to take advantage of this fuel, when the fuel finally ignites, the burn will be more complete, so that will give you a slight increase in power. If you're running premium in an engine designed for regular 87 octane, you're throwing money away. For best power on a stock engine use the recommended fuel in the manual.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:58 AM
gmcplus03
Senior User
so why on any of my vehicles that ive owned in the past even my 04 fx4 i get better mileage and it does seem to have better power if i run premium even stock? for the price difference i dont run premium on a stock vehicle unless im going on a long road trip. just something i have noticed.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:37 AM
jbftx
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gmcplus03
so why on any of my vehicles that ive owned in the past even my 04 fx4 i get better mileage and it does seem to have better power if i run premium even stock? for the price difference i dont run premium on a stock vehicle unless im going on a long road trip. just something i have noticed.
It's because everything runs better on premium. I recognize that a lot of this could be just perception, but gas mileage is quantifiable. The engineering comment could be correct but it doesn't explain why gas mileage improves with premium fuel.

As for the guy who complained about the knocks and pings with regular gas, that's just a nuisance and you aren't hurting your engine. I don't really like to hear those noises either but your engine is fine and its not necessary to use premium fuel.

None of this is intended to imply that I think you shouldn't use the recommended fuel for your car. There just isn't going to be any damage to the engine whichever fuel you choose -- performance differences, yes, damage, no.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Camlocker
Freshman User
At over $2.00 a gallon, I couldn't afford it anyway. That bike down at Wal-Mart looks really tempting.....................................nah!

Old 07-30-2004, 11:56 AM
les017
Senior User
It's because everything runs better on premium. I recognize that a lot of this could be just perception, but gas mileage is quantifiable. The engineering comment could be correct but it doesn't explain why gas mileage improves with premium fuel.

As for the guy who complained about the knocks and pings with regular gas, that's just a nuisance and you aren't hurting your engine. I don't really like to hear those noises either but your engine is fine and its not necessary to use premium fuel.

None of this is intended to imply that I think you shouldn't use the recommended fuel for your car. There just isn't going to be any damage to the engine whichever fuel you choose -- performance differences, yes, damage, no.
Now am not a major gearhead or scientist - and I will eat all the crow you can serve if I am wrong - but this previous statement is incorrect and very detrimental.
As stated previously higher octane will basically reduce the fuel's willingness to burn at lower temps/pressures. Cars that require high octane are usually thus for a reason. They are running higher compression (pressure/temp), advanced timing (earier spark), etc. The higher octane retard the burn initially so that the fuel does not light off prematurely.
This premature ignition of the fuel (mostly NOT caused by the spark) is what causes pinging. And pinging can cause some serious engine problems, especially over the long term. What is pinging? This is the sound created by your pistons resonating, bearings slapping, and just general chaos occurring within your engine's crank, valve and ignition assembly. This can then have a bit of a runaway effect by additionally raising cylinder temps and pressures.

Basically if the fuel is burning too soon, or is being caused to ignite in multiple places and/or mutiple times - both of which can cause the cylinder to try to go DOWN while the crank is still coming UP - you are both losing power and causing harm to your engine internals.
Check your engine timing/tune and/or run higher octane fuel (way oversimplified description, but you get the idea)

Now conversely - if you have an engine designed for low octane fuel...such as a lower compression engine or retarded (late) timing you will want to run a lower octane fuel. Or maybe you simply CAN run a lower octane. BUT in this case IF you run higher octane fuel than is required (and I am in NO position to identify what is required for your application) then again you will rob your engine of performance, at least in the long run. The higher octane fuel (which takes more temp/pressure/time to burn) will likely not burn completely. This may cause LESSER performance and lower mileage (because whole fuel charge is not being burned) and eventually you will tend to increase the fouling of your plugs and valves...again due to imcomplete fuel burn and buildup. Think in terms of the smoke from a roaring, clean campfire vs the smoke from a banked-down pile of leaves.

So everyone should make their own determination. If you get better perf and mileage running premium, when it's not required by the manufacturer, then do so. But keep an eye on your plugs as an indicator. They should not foul prematurely in an efficient running engine
But if premium is required by the manufacturer then you should likely follow their advice.

This is my simplistic take on the subject.

Again - no insults were intended here but this can be a SERIOUS issue to both the performance and longevity of your vehicle. If I am wrong PLEASE let me know...

Old 07-30-2004, 12:31 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Les017's reply is in line with what I learned in aircraft school; the same applies to acft recip engines. The thing to keep in mind in automobile applications, is that the unburned, or improperly burned, fuel will also cause premature failure of the catalytic converter(s).

But, like Les, I don't mean any offense and will share in the crow if served!

Old 07-30-2004, 07:14 PM
desratt
Freshman User
LISTEN
if a vehicle is designed for 87 octane YOU WILL LOSE YES LOSE PERFORMANCE BY BURNING A HIGHER OCTANE but your engine is safe.
if a vehicle is designed for a higher octane and you burn a lower octane YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR ENGINE. it will cause detonation, "knocking" is the explosion in the combustion chamber slowly pecking at your piston top. you can pull a head off and almost immediatly tell if an engine has knocked much. it looks like there was a nut inside the cylinder bouncing all around.
also as you change in altitude it effects it.(older cars mostly)
new cars also have a thing called a knock sensor. when it senses knocking it will dump more fuel in the cylinder. this slows the explosion down do to less air.
a vehicle running a lean mixture will get alot hotter then a rich mixture.

i am not a know it all either but these are my gatherings from going to school on the subject.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Droog
Junior User

This just isn't correct at all. You will get better mileage with the fuel the engine was designed for. If it doesn't seem that way therre could be other factors like style of driving differences, weather conditions, tire pressures, etc.

And if you're getting your car/truck engine to knock and ping, yes you are doing damage to it. Of course, if you're using 87 octane and your F150 is pinging, I'd try another brand of gas, and if it still knocks, make a trip to the dealer. ( Unless you've modified your programming with a superchips or something )

So we're all clear, use the recommended octane in your owners manual, using premium is just throwing money away.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Droog
Junior User
BTW, the only time you might experience knocking with 87 octane, is when at veryhigh altitude, under heavy load, or using poor fuel. If this happens, then up the octane.

Quick Reply: 5.4L -> gas -> 87 regular ??