2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUPERCHIPS MICROTUNER FOR 2004/2005 F-150 has been released

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Rich,

Let me know how you like it! You can use it right off the bat, but continue to follow manufacturer's recommended break-in procedures.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:05 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will do. I took delivery today, but I think I am going to hold off on using the Superchips unit until after the first oil change. I figure I need a solid baseline to compare the performance gains to. You will be the first to know how what I think of the unit.

Rich

Old 09-05-2004, 09:27 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Umm...yeah, I guess I fibbed when I said I would hold off on installing it . You can check out my review here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=279685 .

Old 09-05-2004, 11:43 PM
SMOOTHY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jagged Edge
First, lets keep in mind we are talking about a truck built to do truck like things. At 5600 pounds it will never be what is considered fast. With that being said, we can improve it's ability to do truck like things. A tuner will improve the engines performance, with or without any other modifications
such as air intake or dual exhaust (cat back). You can add those types of
modifications without a tuner which enhances the onboard engine management computer (PCM) but doing so, is cumulative to performance
enhancement. As for turbos and superchargers a tuner would be a must, however, installing one of those items on a engine not built for it might be plain dumb. A tuner would be cheapest item in a project like this. You would need to address internal engine components such as pistons, rods, head gaskets, head bolts, crank and fuel delivery to name a very few. The worse thing is after spending all this money on your pipe dream you would still own a slow 15 second 1/4 mile truck. Buy a Lightning it will be cheaper and
give you more performance that you can build on.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
JE
I think he just called my truck a sow ear.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:45 PM
heimarkj
New User
New member here....have a question about installation process for the superchips microtuner. What exactly is involved...how much computer/mechanichal knowledge, tools, time, etc. is required? Unfortnately I have very little experience working with vehicles and need to know if I will need help installing this. Any more details, suggestions, or advice regarding purchasing and installation of this item would be greatly appreciated. BTW I just purchased a FX4 supercrew 2 days ago. Also should I take it in to get the oil changed at 1000 miles and have the reflashing done as well, prior to installing microtuner? Truck was on lot for 60 days before I purchased it...would it already have new codes possibly? Thanx!

Old 09-06-2004, 01:52 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Welcome to FTE heimarkj. There is really nothing technical about the Microtuner. All you have to do is plug the cord from the tuner, into the little black port under your dash, and press some buttons. It really is that easy. Congrats on the purchase. Please take some pictures, and set up a gallery when you get a chance. Its great being able to see other rigs. I have always changed oil at the 1000 mile mark, but it can differ. If you check out this forum a bit more, I believe there is actually a thread going right now asking that very question. If you plan on using the microtuner, you do not need to reflash. In essence, the tuner will reflash your computer. It will put on a much better program than Ford can ever offer.

Rich

Old 09-07-2004, 11:23 AM
bigwtx
Senior User
Before I installed the Superchips on my 4.6, I was looking for a review for that particular engine, which I never found. So, here is mine!

I used the Microtuner to load the 87 Octane program first, since I still had almost a full tank of 87. I noticed much firmer shifting, especially at WOT. Improved throttle response and slightly better acceleration were present as well.

This full tank was used within a few hours while I traveled 90-105 for three hundred miles between Wichita Falls and Austin, Texas, so I can't comment on gas mileage for that portion of the trip...

When I got to Austin I filled up with 93 and reprogrammed to the high performance setting. All I can say is WOW. Along with the things included with the 87 octane program came lots of useable power, both off the line and on the highway. It is no longer necessary for the 4.6 to downshift to increase speed (say 65-75) on the freeway. I also noticed that it takes much less throttle to keep up with traffic.

With a lighter foot and speeds <75mph I have observed a 2-3mpg increase with the Microtuner, bringing highway mileage up from 17 to 20mpg.

I'm very impressed with the chip and am happy that I purchased it. On Wednesday, my Mac Air Intake will arrive, and we'll see if my performance increases even more.

*2004 F-150 STX Supercab, 3.55 gears, Flowmaster 40-Series Dual Exhaust, Superchips Microtuner

Old 09-09-2004, 10:48 AM
OneBadApple
New User
Talking

whoa been awhile since i've visited this site Ken I gotta have one of these tuners!!!!
OBA

Old 09-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Seven4t8
Freshman User
Quick Question

Do you need to run on Premium after installing this chip? Also, Is is worth putting on the K&N system as well? Please advise. Thanks

Old 09-13-2004, 12:59 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
You only need to run premium if you use the tow, or high performance settings. The 87 octane setting you do not. However, with the 87 tune, you get marginal power improvements. It is really only designed to fix the acceleration issues from what Ive experienced. The 87 to 91+ power is drastically different. For an extra couple dollars a tank, the premium is worth it IMO.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Seven4t8
Freshman User
Thanks, is the K&N worth it then or the Air Raid better?? Is it worth getting that with the Superchip?

Old 09-15-2004, 11:34 AM
goldendagger
Junior User
super tuner

just got a 04 150 new style 5.4 3:73ls rear, 4x4, super crew, here's what i would like, will this chip do it.1. when using cruise it will drop a gear going up a hill will this chip make the trans stay locked in longer? 2. when trying to find the passing gear, would like something a little quicker to happen and a little firmer would be nice, of course i don't even have 100miles on it yet so things mite improve as it learns? one thing i was really impressed with was the softness of the shift, but got to have better action when passing.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
the 4R75E transmission has adaptive shift technology which will learn your driving habbits and tailor the shift pattern and firmness to your driving style. Just give it some time...and the motor gets stronger the more miles you put on it...an F150 with 6,000 miles on it runs much better than a brand new one. Just drive it harder if you want the tranny to shift firmer and later in the power band.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:23 PM
russell562
New User
How hard is it to install the Super chip in a 2004 supercrew 4.6 4x4?
What does it intale?

Old 09-15-2004, 09:47 PM
bigwtx
Senior User
Wink

The Superchip Microtuner unit is simply a handheld device a bit larger than a palm pilot, with a cable that plugs into a connector right under your steering wheel. Just glance under the dash and you'll see the trapeziodal connector.

When the Microtuner arrives, you'll just follow the instructions, which will say something to the effect of "plug the unit in with the key in the OFF position". Then it will say to turn the key to ON, etc. It's very easy - you don't need computer knoweledge to operate it. There are only like 4 buttons on the actual unit. The screen will display exactly what the instructions say it will. It'll only take about 10 minutes for the whole thing. Then you just unplug it, and enjoy the benefits!

If you have the extra cash for 91+ octane gas, go with the high performance tune. That's what I did with my 4.6 and I'll never regret it. Performance has increased significantly and I don't feel like a grandma anymore. I know you'll be impressed.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post. Have fun!

Quick Reply: SUPERCHIPS MICROTUNER FOR 2004/2005 F-150 has been released