2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchips Micro Tuner Review: Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 09:24 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Superchips Micro Tuner Review: Part 1

Hello. I bought my Superchips tuner from Motorhaven, and I figured I owed prospective buyers a review of the product. Since I am still running the first tank through (87 octane from the dealership), I only used the 87 tune. Can you say the tuner has paid for itself already? Any remnants of throttle lag are gone, as is hesitation under shift change. The truck feels stronger, as well as gets up to speed quicker, and coasts much easier. It is a different truck than I started out with this morning!

The installation of the unit was incredibly easy too. I will admit, I did get worried when I saw a warning about having to possibly pull a fuse. It was a new truck....why do I want to go tearing panels off already? Well... I didnt have to . Ten minutes, and some thumb-eye coordination, and the tuning was complete. I can only imagine how the premium tune will feel . I will update with a part 2 as soon as possible (believe me....I am trying to burn through this gas as fast as I can, without it being too noticeable to those around me ).

If any of you are undecided about this tuner, I hope this, and the subsequent pt.2 review will sway you towards ownership. I would hope that you guys can put some weight into this review. Ive been around the FTE block for many years (since 1999, but the join date shown only reflects this username, not my previous). Motorhaven is a class act company, and you should really consider them for your purchases. This wasnt my first purchase from them, and it wont be my last. Oh yeah.... did I mention their prices were the cheapest I found ANYWHERE!! Part 2 will hopefully come within the next few days.

Rich

Old 09-05-2004, 10:21 PM
HawaiianStyle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Beans on the chip! but with MotorHaven, I'm sure they can be more competative in the Intake Department! I really wanted to give them my business butm as the old sayin goes " if you don't compete, you get beat!"

Old 09-05-2004, 10:25 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Didnt Ken address that in a previous post? I thought it was a data entry issue, but has been resolved.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:39 PM
jmlien77
New User
Unfortunately, I didnt get the same results you did. I waited until now to purchase mine thinking that with all of the recent problems they had with it, it would have been resolved. I agree that it was incredibly easy to set up but I ended up getting the same message that many have gotten previously, the error code E-6D which means that I am probably going to have to send it back to have them redo the supertuner again. Hope the company came thru the Hurricane okay.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:48 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Welcome to FTE jmlien77. Im sorry to hear about this. When did you receive yours? I just got mine in the mail this past Wednesday. Before you send it back, you might want to call Superchips directly to see if they can search by your serial number. They might be able to tell you if that particular S/N has the newest ecu data.

Rich

Old 09-06-2004, 12:30 AM
scottb1014
Senior User
Question: If you set tuner to premium 93, what kind of damage if any can you cause the truck in the long run? What I mean is, the manual says truck is set up for 87. Thanks!

Old 09-06-2004, 12:42 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
With the tuner in place, the 'setup' for 87 is gone (factory setting). It is now been replaced with the Superchips program. That program NEEDS the high octance gas to run properly. There will be no damage caused.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:03 AM
HawaiianStyle
Senior User
Yes I thought he did and here is the results of that.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...intake+system+

Old 09-06-2004, 08:54 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Weird. I know when I ordered my chip, I actually spoke to Ken briefly about it over the phone. I would have asked for a higher up there, since you knew the problem had been addressed. I hope when Ken makes his rounds, he sees this thread. Ive got to imagine that an issue like this, is something he wants brought to attention, to be corrected for other users. Do you have the womans info that you talked to? She could have been new (this site, and Motorhaven as well, are growing every day). I dont want to come off like I am blindly following Motorhaven, but I have had nothing but great experiences with them.

Rich

Old 09-07-2004, 01:22 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HawaiianStyle
Cool Beans on the chip! but with MotorHaven, I'm sure they can be more competative in the Intake Department! I really wanted to give them my business butm as the old sayin goes " if you don't compete, you get beat!"

Call MotorHaven for the pricing on them. MotorHaven is in the process of changing the prices on those. The data entry person added a couple hundred products and simply put in MSRP for all of them. I've having to go through and adjust them down.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:19 PM
JohnAndHisDog
Junior User
Rich, by now I am sure you have burned off the 87 Octane and replaced with the 93. How about a Part 2 update on the Superchip and your retuning?

Old 09-09-2004, 09:27 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
To tell you the truth, I havent. Believe me....Ive been trying. I still have close to a half tank (guess this truck gets a bit better mileage than my bronco )! I do have to put some highway miles on it tomorrow though. That might help eat it up. As soon as I can dump the high test in, you guys will be the first to know about Part 2!

Rich

Old 09-10-2004, 04:59 AM
hovy
Senior User
I have been running the 93 octane setting and get around 1-1.5 more mpg. I have noticed a bit of rough idle, seems like a skip when at idle but goes away on higher RPM. This might not be due to the tuner..I will switch it over to stock when my tank runs out and see if the "miss" is still there. I have a k&N air filter and it might have messed up the mapp sensor a bit...I have had the filter in for a while but with the full throttle tests might have pulled some oil off the filter.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:42 AM
tartan1
New User
1800 miles with Superchip and Airaid

Have 2004 Supercrew Lariat with duals...installed Superchip and ran for a week then installed AirAid and have since driven 1800 miles on 92 octane in Canada...truck pulls like hell with the chip...hard to say if AirAid made that much difference but sure sounds nice at WOT. You cannot go wrong with this tuner....if I had installed the AirAid first then the tuner I might be more hep on the AirAid...hard to tell....Good luck

Old 09-11-2004, 04:54 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Part 2 is now up for anyone following it.