6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Superchip Programer and the Torque Shift Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:42 AM
dperreault
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchip Programer and the Torque Shift Transmission?

Well, I went out for the first time with the Super chips tow safe program installed. I was pulling my 5er and my boat for a GVW of 21300 lbs, which includes the truck. I was very impressed. I noticed more torque and going up hills the transmission did less downshifting. Hell my buddy who was pulling his small 5er could not keep up with me on a certain big hill in his 7.3, that was pretty cool. His GVW is about 15,000 lbs

The big question is however, do you push the button on the torque shift transmission even though you have the tow safe program installed?

Old 07-28-2004, 11:51 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Your T/H mode can be used any time in any situation....it does not matter if you have a Bully Dog or SC..or...

Old 07-28-2004, 11:58 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DP,
the main diff when u push the T/H button is that it holds the upshift a bit more on acceleration and will downshift to give you engine braking .... (depending on the pcm flash on your truck, some start downshifting quickly... others wait until u tap the brake or get below 50 mph

Old 07-28-2004, 12:08 PM
wolffee
Elder User
I think i asked this awhile ago in another thread but didnt really get an answer. You are pulling 2 trailers? a 5er and then on the back of the 5er you attach another trailer? I used to do somthing close but probably alot longer. We used to have a PreVost Bus that was 53feet i think and for hunting trips we would take that with a suburban behind it with a open utility trailer on the suburban with the 4wheelers and toys. Now that was long but i never heard of a trailer on a trailer... I dont dout it in the least since well you just read what my family used to do up till about a year ago. Just interested to see what that looks like. If you can post some pictures sometime...thanks

Old 07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
During my recent tow with the Tow Safe program installed, I only used the T/H mode on the decents to hold back the truck/trailer. On the level and up hills, I left T/H mode off and relied on the tranny map installed by the SC tuner.

I think that when you press the T/H mode, you revert mostly back to the stock shift profile. Vic on the SCMT thread would of course know for sure.

Daryl

Old 07-28-2004, 04:41 PM
dperreault
New User
Wolf,

To answer your question, yes I do pull tandum. I pull my 5th wheel and behind that I have my 18 foot glasstron boat. It pulls great and is perfectly legal. Of course some states don't allow but most of the states do.

I am going camping (I really don't camp) this weekend and I will take a picture of the whole rig. Take it easy.

Dave

Old 07-28-2004, 04:44 PM
dperreault
New User
Thanks to all for your inputs. I will try it on and off and see what I like. I guess it comes down to personal preference anyway. Later

Old 07-28-2004, 05:55 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by dperreault
Wolf,

To answer your question, yes I do pull tandum. I pull my 5th wheel and behind that I have my 18 foot glasstron boat. It pulls great and is perfectly legal. Of course some states don't allow but most of the states do.

I am going camping (I really don't camp) this weekend and I will take a picture of the whole rig. Take it easy.

Dave
What is the total weight of all three...rolling down the road

Old 07-29-2004, 06:51 AM
dperreault
New User
GVW 21000 LBS I just had it weighed last weekend.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:18 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by dperreault
GVW 21000 LBS I just had it weighed last weekend.
I thanks, I had no idea wihat a boat weighs

Old 07-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
DP,
the main diff when u push the T/H button is that it holds the upshift a bit more on acceleration and will downshift to give you engine braking .... (depending on the pcm flash on your truck, some start downshifting quickly... others wait until u tap the brake or get below 50 mph
Correct.

When you select tow/haul, the PCM reverts to different shift tables.

I tuned these for towing conditions.

I encourage the use of the tow/haul button.