Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:03 AM
mrshark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry please help

My wife's called me up in a panic yesterday. Driving to work her 2003 Escape V6 "check fuel cap" and "service engine soon" light came on and stayed on.
I told her to check the gas cap, and she said it seemed loose. Lights stayed on during her drive home...I test drove vehicle last night, and lights still stayed on.

I drove it for about 10 miles, highway and city, truck runs great, no stalling, not overheating, everything seems normal except for lights. Wife on way to work today said truck still ran fine, except for lights again. Any ideas?

-Mrshark

(Picking up my new 2004 FX4 F150 on Friday.........woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Old 07-28-2004, 10:58 AM
ove1
Senior User
You could stop by an Autozone store and have them pull the OBD-II codes (note what they are and do a google search) and then clear them (they do this at no-charge). Or disconnect the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes to clear the fault(s).

Old 07-28-2004, 11:36 AM
jhromy
Senior User
when you pick up your truck bring the escape to have the sevice dept fix the problem...could be a bad gas cap or something else

Old 07-28-2004, 01:31 PM
TJinWV
New User
I haven't had that problem with the Escape, but I've had it a couple times with my Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep folks say it takes 3 to 5 cold-cycle starts after the fuel cap has been put back on correctly before it clears the light. Or you could disconnect the battery, as ove1 suggested, but then you'll lose your radio presets, and I just hate that.