Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 11:04 PM
superhooperduty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Springs

I've Just Installed Rebuild Heads On My 351 Windsor, Along With A Complete Rebuild Mild Performance Cam, Roller ****ers. Have Adjusted Rockers To Spec, And Checked Them Several Times, Yet I Get A "valve" Noise, Which Gets Worse As Engine Is Speeded Up, Runs Fine Other Than That, Could It Be That The Valve Springs Are Wrong. Causing The Valves To Slap Shut? Springs Are Not Binding Everything Else Looks Ok. Would It Make Any Difference If The Springs Are .600" Lift, The Valve Springs Recomended For The Cam Say .500' Max Lift, Would That Make Any Difference, The Cam Decides The Lift Doesn't It? And If The Springs Are Lets Say Have Too Much Pressure, Can I Change Them To The Recomended Ones Or What? Thanks

Old 07-26-2004, 11:59 AM
94F150-408
Posting Guru
Hey superhooper,

Check into what the recommended seat pressure is and then remove one of your springs using a compressed air fitting in the spark plug hole along along with a spring compressor for the removal of the spring. Then take the spring to a machine shop and have them test the spring pressure in relation to the max lift of your cam shaft. This shouldent have any noise related issues though.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:12 PM
ga302p
Elder User
what kind of lifters? hydraulic roller I assume. Check them good. Fords hydraulic rollers, have caused more than one person this type problem. I absolutely despise them and get rid of them asap when using a higer lift cam. I have used triple springs with so much seat pressure we could hardly get the locks on and have never had a noise caused by the valve closing. Assuming the valves are adjusted right, which I am sure they are, My money is on the lifters. You have a spring that is stiffer than stock, and the lifters cant handle it.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:20 PM
94F150-408
Posting Guru
You should always use springs with the proper pressure for the cam you are using, using springs with too high of pressure is going to wear things out pretty quickly and could have contributed to your lifter problems ga302p. Most people are extremely fond of the hydraulic rollers, they are definialty a step up from your standard lifters and I would highly reccomend staying with these type of lifter.

Last edited by 94F150-408; 07-26-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:53 PM
superhooperduty
Senior User
valve springs

the lifters were new and from comp along with the cam, can i remove the shims under the springs? one speed shop says being a cast iron head i really son't need them anyway and it may drop seat pressure to approximatly what is recommended for this cam, 114lbs.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:02 PM
ga302p
Elder User
Originally Posted by 94F150-408
You should always use springs with the proper pressure for the cam you are using, using springs with too high of pressure is going to wear things out pretty quickly and could have contributed to your lifter problems ga302p. Most people are extremely fond of the hydraulic rollers, they are definialty a step up from your standard lifters and I would highly reccomend staying with these type of lifter.

I think you misunderstood me. I like hydraulic roller lifters, I just do not like the ones manufactured by Ford or Ford racing. Even when used with the proper valve springs, which I always do. They always give me, and several other engine builder I know problems on high lift cams at high RPM. They are an inferior product. Crane, great stuff, no problems. Ford racing and original Ford. My junk pile has many sets you can come pick through if you like those things.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you absolutely sure it isn't an exhaust leak? They are sometimes almost impossible to distinguish sometimes from lifter noise. Usually valvetrain noise get quieter as the engine speeds up.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:48 PM
94F150-408
Posting Guru
Superhooper, I would still consult with a good machine shop on this, have them check the spring pressure. The shims are to achive the proper spring height and you may or may not get the seat pressure you desire by removing them, each shim could be a different thickness if they were all measured when installed as they should be.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:20 AM
superhooperduty
Senior User
valve springs

i believe i've found the problem, the locks that were installed were the low assembly type, giving slightly excessive pressure on the seat but the correct pressure when compressed, the machine shop supplied the spring pressures at installed height and various compressed pressures as well, comp supplied the recommended pressures, i installed a set of tall assembly locks, pressure ok, runs like a top, and no noise. thanks for all the help and suggestions. now onto the e40d. p.s. i kept the shims installed as well.