summer time at dealership is expen.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 12:17 PM
danielo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
summer time at dealership is expen.

my wonderful 97 f-150 is becoming expensive @82k.

I took my truck in to the dealership to deal with overheating, and also to replace intake gasket.

What is the likeyhood of this?

They found that the Cooling fan clutch was "weak", and Waterpump was not "fully functioning". (waterpump was replaced by them Jan 2003)

Then as we talked about lower Intake gasket, they wanted to replace all the intake gaskets. Because sopposedly there is an oil leak in the valve cover. (I haven't noticed my oil level drop one bit)

The statistical probably, of these duel issues is probably nil on a fairly new truck. But is this something I'm sopposed to expect because I'm at 80k?

Estimate given is $682 for fan Clutch and waterpump, and $588 for intake gaskets.

i thought the intake gaskets to be a little on the high side.

Dan

Old 07-21-2004, 01:21 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Weak" and not "fully functioning". Did you ask how they determined these things and will replacement solve your overheating problem. Several of us here have had problems with radiators. In each case, various attempts were made in other areas before concluding the radiator was the culprit. I believe you can have a radiator installed for about $200.
Maybe both prices are a little on the high side. Have you checked with a good independant service shop. Perhaps theycan treat you better on price.
I would be certain about the fan clutch and water pump before going down that road. check this out:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=231479

Old 07-21-2004, 02:05 PM
danielo
New User
No I did not. I spoke through a dealer-rep.

Thanks for the link. Looks like I should of just gone to a radiatorshop, so I could of gotten more info, instead of info from a dealer-rep. I guess I wanted to get the intake issue out of the way too much.

What I've gathered from your thread, makes me believe, I should of simply just went ahead and had the radiator replaced before anything else. The cost to benefit actually looks decent compared to a price of a clutch or pump. A weak fan clutch, and a 1 1/2 year old weak pump, probably isn't main issue. It seems like an old radiator has more influence on cooling than anything else. (fluid levels were fine)

The dealership did not mention anything about the radiator, do you think they even checked that?

thanks for the help

Old 07-21-2004, 04:15 PM
Black4.2
Senior User
sounds like a typical dealership trying to rip you off. Those prices are almost outragous. Fan clucth's aren't too expensive. Water Pumps Aren't that expensive. Thats why I work on my own vehicles, except mine is under warranty, I let them pay. Now I have heard of fan clutchs going out and putting such a strain on the water pump bearings, that they become weak, but only rarely.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:48 PM
danielo
New User
yeah stupid late intuition was right. Wasn't fan clutch,water pump, thermastat, or hoses.

The 4pm ride in the texas summer definately rubs the engine right.

I'm thinking about just replacing the radiator.

Old 07-28-2004, 06:24 PM
danielo
New User
There are multiple sizes available for 97 f-150 radiator available. Do all of them work?

Old 07-28-2004, 09:46 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When I bought mine, I just specified an '02 4.2 v6 . I think all of the aftermarket ones come equipped for an auto trans. . It will have the fittings for the trans fluid to run through the radiator. It will fit a manual no prob. Mine was 162.00 . Now, even in 95+ Alabama summer heat, it never gets above 98 deg celsius (207 f).

Old 07-29-2004, 07:14 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
207 degreesfareinheit??? what??

Old 07-30-2004, 01:11 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Your stock thermostat is a 195deg f. All modern fuel injected engines run hotter to have lower emissions. Most vehicles run about ten degrees warmer than the thermostat rating. I know for a fact, that that "other" brand of vehicles were running a thermostat of 210 deg f., through the mid 1990's . That's why it's not a good idea to put too cool of a thermostat in a modern fuel injected vehicle. The computer is programmed to see a ser temp range. If you get below that range, it will feed more fuel, to warm it up, and cause it to run rich. This means poor mileage, rough idle, maybe even shorten plug life if it is excessive enough. A modern engine w/that kind of temps in Alabama summer, in traffic , is very good.
'

Old 07-30-2004, 03:10 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Thomas is correct.
I am not a big fan of the inclination of some to move to a cooler thermostat. Older engines ran much cooler thermostats but todays engines do not.
I am a fan of the adage: If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.
Today's engines run hotter temps and they do quite well at those temps. I know when I was having my radiator problems I saw the same temps Thomas did. The temps would spike up near 220 deg. F. After r and r to radiator temps hang around 200-205.
I'm happy

Old 07-30-2004, 05:26 PM
danielo
New User
Problem identified. When I was getting radiator replaced by a small shop, mechanic noticed that the radiator was emptying out the coolant really slow. Obvouisly identifying a congested radiator.

How the dealership did not identify that during replacement of water pump is pure stupid. To make it worse, I noticed the dealership put super high concentration of coolant in the radiator. As if they knew they didn't solve the problem.

After replacement of radiator done by a different shop today, i noticed the coolant went back to the mellow coolant color it should be.

Dealerships? Completely worthless after warranty.

Somehow all of this has made me appreciate my ford truck even more though.

dan

Old 07-30-2004, 05:44 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Dan,
Not suprised. I hate to say it and I don't understand it, but I have always had my WORST experiences with dealerships, whether they be GM or Ford. For some reason, I just don't understand....

Wonder if you'd have any luck takin gall your receipts back to the dealer and demanding at least partial reimbursement for the expense. At least they could credit you the labor, you do have some new parts now.
I assure you, if it were ME, I would have a SERIOUS discussion with the Service Manager, and absent resolution, I'd demand to see the owner. I might not get anything, but I'd be sure they understood how inept I considered their service dept. was.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not bashing Ford. I love my truck. It is just that wrong is wrong, and it seems what happened to you was wrong.

Look at it this way.. On my truck, I guessed thermostat first and was wrong. Next, I did my own driveway troubleshooting and determined it pretty much had to be the radiator. I wasn't POSITIVE, but when my money was on the line, that is what I went with. Turns out, that was the right call. Are we supposed to believe I can do better in my driveway than factory trained service guys can in a Ford dealer's service department !?
Give me a break.
I'd be more than a little irritated.....

Old 07-30-2004, 09:20 PM
danielo
New User
actually yes, you are sopposed to do better in your driveway if your equipped with this forum ;-) Of course they want to throw parts and labor at us. good ole battle.

attached is a letter i plan to send if necessary. i wish i could cut down on the words, but tell me what you guys think.

""
I recently had an ill experience at your Northside Ford dealership in San Antonio. Upon researching the decisions that the mechanic made, I found them to be unprofessional mistakes that were costly.

On 1/17/2003 I had a water pump replaced by the dealership due to a leak out of the weep hole. $533.78

On 7/18/2004, I experienced an overheating of my engine after about 1 ½ hours of driving with A/C on the highway. The overheating went back to normal after the A/C was turned off.

On 7/19/2004 @ 7am I dropped my truck off at the dealership.

On 7/21/2004 The diagnosis I received was that the fan clutch and water pump needed to be replaced to solve the problem. I advised the service rep that the water pump had recently replaced and should not be the problem. I followed his advice and went with both repairs. $768.92

I received the truck back on 7/23/2004. During the week after, I found that the problems remained. Upon further inspection by another mechanic, it became clearly obviously that the problem was the radiator. As he was removing the radiator fluid, it released at an extremely slow rate. This was obvious to the most casual observer like myself.

Due to an unprofessional mistake by a Ford approved mechanic, I incurred an extra $768.92 expense.

What is Ford’s policy on mistakes by their mechanics, and/or faulty water pumps?

""

Old 07-30-2004, 09:29 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
Hmm, I suppose Ford wont even begin to try to pay you back for this one. It's just how they are..

Old 07-30-2004, 10:16 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
You should print the letter and ask to make an apointment to meet with the rep. Its not so easy to sweet talk someone when they are all angry like in your office.

Ford is like any other company out there, a business. I wish you best of luck on trying to get something resolved on this issue. Thanks for the heads up!!

Garrett

Quick Reply: summer time at dealership is expen.