Electric Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 07:55 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Electric Fuel Pumps

On another thread kens64 mentioned he was running an electric fuel pump. I am using a Carter electric unit, forget the model number, but it puts out 8 psi. It was too much pressure so intalled inline is a Spector adjustable regulator set at 3.5 or 4.0 psi. I was just wondering what other electric pumps people were using and how they liked them. My unit sure is noisy when it is first turned on, but it gets drowned out with the two glasspacks. It seems to me that the 8 psi Carter always being regulated to 4 or less will be prone to early failure. Mike

Old 07-19-2004, 10:49 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
An edit note on the above post. The pump is pushing gas to a 600 CFM Holley on top of my 292, which is an estimated 250 HP. This note is to let you all know I am talking about y-blocks with electric external fuel pumps, as opposed to the stock type y-block eccentric driven fuel pumps.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:45 AM
56efffie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran an external electric fuel pump on one of my cars for years with a regulator and never had a problem with the pump. If i remember it was a Faucet fuel pump and it was a noisy one too.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Janet40
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 56efffie
I ran an external electric fuel pump on one of my cars for years with a regulator and never had a problem with the pump. If i remember it was a Faucet fuel pump and it was a noisy one too.
Yblocks do good at at least 7-8 lbs at least lbs, i have great great luck with my ollet electric under my cabbs, i hold mine on with 4 big tie straps on each side and monut runbber behind those babies, its still doinfg great at 70k miles too..I paid about 109 with tax for it at Oriellys auto parts store and i used the biggest meteal fuel filter i could find and mounted it behind the pump....Janet

Last edited by Janet40; 07-21-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:06 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
54efffie, that is encouraging. Sometimes it seems like I invent things to worry about.
Janet, my understanding is that the pressure issue is not with the 292 but the carburetor. Too high a pressure and gas will flood out the carb pushing past the float seat.

Old 07-22-2004, 03:32 AM
kens64
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is a Holley pump, not sure what model number. Its from a Pro-Jection system I had on it for awhile. I changed back to a carb because the computer went bad, and just kept the pump hooked up.

I was sure the pressure would be way too high, due to it being setup for fuel injection, but it ran great.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Janet40
Elder User
Originally Posted by kens64
Mine is a Holley pump, not sure what model number. Its from a Pro-Jection system I had on it for awhile. I changed back to a carb because the computer went bad, and just kept the pump hooked up.

I was sure the pressure would be way too high, due to it being setup for fuel injection, but it ran great.
I put my under the cab finest holley electric fuel pumps under my frame by the door on both vehiccles,...I sometimes get bored and either hope in the 63 ford pickup 292 or the 55 ford fairlane 292, both having mid 70's 2bbl motorcraft carbs that go on a regualr 302 for those 70's years...I haven't had no trouble for 2 years at all and get pretty good mileage, but if one (the engine ever stalled i would turn that key off and kill that engine for sure, i also caryy big big fire extingusers in both mine also, for the powder type gasoliine fire put out, just in case, i run metal line from the carb, until i get about 6 inches from t hat pump under the door area, just to be practical. Y use more PSI pressure than most cars, and my holley pump has no fuel return and was designed to just free spin once it gets over 7.5 lbs pressure..Im glad yall are talking to me again today, last night i got hurt and cried, its my change of life i guess im a little sentitive..Janet

Last edited by Janet40; 07-22-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Janet40
Elder User
Originally Posted by 46yblock
On another thread kens64 mentioned he was running an electric fuel pump. I am using a Carter electric unit, forget the model number, but it puts out 8 psi. It was too much pressure so intalled inline is a Spector adjustable regulator set at 3.5 or 4.0 psi. I was just wondering what other electric pumps people were using and how they liked them. My unit sure is noisy when it is first turned on, but it gets drowned out with the two glasspacks. It seems to me that the 8 psi Carter always being regulated to 4 or less will be prone to early failure. Mike

Hi 46y, try that 100 buck holley, i never have any trouble at all with mine and its going on 2 years, i got the 7 lbs plus unit, and ran it way back by my tank by my cab...Hope i helped....janet

Old 07-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Janet40
Elder User
46y, let me see if i can find that box i bought that pump in. or ill just crawl under one of my cars and rea the numbers on it....Also take into consoderation i run my pump way back by the cab too and use those motor craft 2bbl carbs on mine...Illl get back with you...Ive had no trouble for a little over 2 years on both cars and i did this on both my Yblock cars,,,,,Janet

Old 07-22-2004, 02:00 PM
Janet40
Elder User

I looked for the box, and can't find it, and i noticed under the cab, they are the red big holley pumps, and had forgotten i also put a fuel pump in front of it also and put fusable links on both, they are big pumps and are red, and i paid right at 100 dollars a peice on them too... I remember they were the 7 lbs plus types when i bought them though, maybe i can find that darned box, and im also using that 2bbl motorcraft carburetor 2bbl on both these 292'2,(just the ones they used on thosse early 197o'2 302 engines), si i know it works good 46Y and ive gone on trips and everything and never had trouble....Janet

Old 07-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Janet40
Elder User
I callled Oriellys here in Houston, and told them i had a red one, he said it would work great , to just get a 6lb but not over 7.5 lb, and the red one i have on my cars, has a motor on top and is gear driven on the bottom with a fat flange just like the oil pump type ones, its really worth it too to get one.....janet

Old 07-22-2004, 05:24 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Thanks all for the information and replies. There probably are not too many of us with the external pump. The only reason I installed mine was due to the eccentric driven pump interfering with the front motor mount.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Janet40
Elder User
Originally Posted by Janet40
I callled Oriellys here in Houston, and told them i had a red one, he said it would work great , to just get a 6lb but not over 7.5 lb, and the red one i have on my cars, has a motor on top and is gear driven on the bottom with a fat flange just like the oil pump type ones, its really worth it too to get one.....janet
\psafp',////[p iavf a nicsw 589caslliucm a 9 69=- caddt 9and st cae is at 90fun yo gfrivr ppp/////////';Janer

Old 07-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Janet40
Elder User
I know mine work just great, and i get good gas mileage....But i plan to put a togo switch on mine just in case i ever stall, and may even install a fuel pressure reducer, who knows, my MPG may increase, all i can say is with my holley set, i have absolutely no afterburn from my exhaust, and she runs cool too....Janet

Old 07-23-2004, 06:57 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
fuel pump

As far as I am concerned, this post is closed. I think I will try posting something like it over on the carb/fuel system forum. Thanks. Mike

Quick Reply: Electric Fuel Pumps