YAHOO!! I got the 460 running in my 51 truck.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 09:03 PM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YAHOO!! I got the 460 running in my 51 truck.

I'm still working on getting the 51 truck fit over a 1984 E-350 chassis. It's been slow. The July 4th weekend gave me a few extra hours to work on it. I decided to test the 460 to determine if it needed replaced or could be used. The electronic distributor wasn't complete so I pulled the points distributor out of my 69 Lincoln 460, but before installing it, I installed a Pertronix Igniter in place of the points.

The dog house is off the truck due to the body work being performed. I used bungee cords to hold the battery on the front bumper. Then I used a lawnmower fuel tank clamped to the firewall seam to gravity feed the Holley 4 barrel. After fixing a few gas leaks, it was ready to try. A few pumps of the accelerator to get some gas into the intake and it was time to touch the starter cable to the battery terminal. It exploded to life!!. It ran awful, but it ran. I let it run a minute or two to determine if it was worth taking further. The right valve cover was still off from when the distributor was installed and trying to determine TDC.

At this point, I decided to put on a radiator, because it looked like it would be running it longer. I had to bungee cord several radiators, before I was able to find a non-leaker that didn't spray water onto the distributor and coil from the fan pulling it out of the core.

Now I could run it until the lawnmower tank would run out of gas. Before starting the engine, the compression check showed 4 of the 8 cylinders under 100 PSI with one at 20 PSI and another at 35 PSI. I didn't have much hope for the engine, but after several lawnmower tanks of gas, I retested the compression. They were 125 - 135 PSI!! That really encouraged me.

If fixed a few more things including vacuum leaks and power steering leaks. This engine was so grimey, that it was time to pressure wash it. So I sprayed the entire engine and frame with degreaser and attacked it with a pressure washer. What a difference! The engine is now pleasant to work on. Although I have a gravel driveway, my wife wasn't happy. I splattered the garage door with black yucky stuff while she was doing her Saturday afternoon shopping.

Afterwards, I connected the driveshaft and ran it up and down the lane a few times. The brakes are not yet connected, so I had to use the R & D of the C6 to do my braking. WOW! That 460 is powerful. If I would have had the body and bed more securely attached, I may have done a burnout on the road with those wornout duallies.

I'm about 6 months behind on this project. I started last November to have it ready for the 3rd week of July to haul my restored 1961 CASE dozer to a tractor show. It doesn't look like that will happen. I already have the trailer ball and steel mounts welded into the frame over the rear axle for a gooseneck trailer. Maybe next year, but I'm running out of available years.

This week I'll probably take out the cracked glass and get it replaced. I still need to do cab repairs and bed side repairs. Then the paint will go on. I have a couple of granddaughters that love purple. I thought I'd paint it a color to please them, plus add some body side stripes.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton,OH