General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Cyberspace ....Way to Connect to the internet

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cyberspace ....Way to Connect to the internet

with a Notebook when you are on Vacation.

After this last few weeks ..my brain turned to mush.

How many different ways are to connect to the internet while on Vacation?

Michelle wants to buy me a notebook for my BD & suggest to take it on vacation.

Notebook with:

1) Dial-up modem ?

2) Broadband modem ?

3) Satellite connector & service ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Access from home network ?

Please explain what the notebook needs to do & how.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Caplax40
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally have never done it, but at one of my coworkers previous jobs he used a cell phone to act as a modem to connect to the net. Said it was pretty quick too, connecting at a little over 100kbps.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Just guessing that a dial up would be most feasible. You can probably get an 800 number from your ISP for an extra charge. I can't picture you being away from FTE for more then 30 minutes.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:11 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
1. Dialup if the hotel doesn't have Internet access.
2. Ethernet or wireless connection if it does.

I never pick a hotel that doesn't have Internet access.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
How about a *Hotel Free* vacation.

More like a cottage or a home with a phone line .

One has internet & the other doesn't.

My new cell phone is web friendly.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I dunno dennis, when I go on vacation, there isn't even cell service, and barely Sattellite GPS service.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Icicle
Postmaster
How is there "Barely" satelite GPS service? if you have a view of the sky anywhere in montana, you can get a GPS signal, do you mean there are too many trees, like a dense forest or something

Old 07-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
actually, in severe weather, high winds, and heavy cloud cover, the signal isn't very strong, and service is questionable.

I hope the new DGPS goes into effect soon.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Matt, do you need gps to keep from getting lost up there?

Just kidding, I did have a paramedic tell me that if you ever get hurt out in the boondocks, a gps will get you help much faster. Of course you have to have a way of communicating.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I don't really use the GPS for tracking so much.... I use it to find how far I have walked, elevation, and speed.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:18 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
any newer lap top can connected to the web using a cell phone, go to your cell phone provider and ask for a kit for your phone but remember you will be charged for airtime and roaming ......you can set your phone to remind you every ten minutes while your connected..... i use it alot, speed is pretty good....i can also send and recieve faxes the same way.

you don't need a high end laptop, just the basic's. mine 3yrs olds bought used,
Dell inspiron 2500 i gave $400. for it added a 10 gig.drive, that way if i break,drop it, i'm not out alot of money.

Last edited by f=2504by497; 07-18-2004 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Howdy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This year's kind of slow but I usually spend 100+ days on the road. I bring a network cable with me - most of the national chains now have some sort of network, DSL/WiFi. If they don't have it, then go online now to see if your ISP has a dial-up number in the town you are going. Sprint has their $70/Mo. wireless internet plan, through a cell phone, but it's not available everywhere and the price doesn't include voice.

When you get your Notebook, pick up a WiFi card, too. (cheap nowdays). That way you can set up a wireless network at home and be able to use it on the road. I'll stop in, grab a coffee someplace and check my email. Check out this site: http://www.wififreespot.com/ It's covers Canada if you scroll down far enough. I didn't see Horton's on there - they need to get with the program..

Geez Dennis, aren't you going on vacation? Send Ken a postcard or something. I guess you could get socks for your birthday instead.

Old 07-19-2004, 01:01 PM
kermit
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for your situation i would get it set up to use whatever you use at home, ie cable, dsl or whatever. then i would make sure it had a dial up modem in it, or get one for it, and get a juno acct for when you are on vacations, they have a ton of dial up numbers so you could possibly have a local number where you are going. set up both connections, and when you are on vacation, click on the juno setup, when you are at home, use whatever else. that is what i did for my wifes laptop, and she never has had any trouble with it.

Old 07-19-2004, 01:21 PM
fn250
Elder User
Most new laptops have integrated cards (i.e. modem and network card) and you know how to use those. Two other options are:

1. Cell phone as data modem
Basically your phone connects to your laptop via a specialized cradle, or cord. Your laptop sees the phone as a modem, and streams data via your telephone. Most GSM phones can do this, as they have data capabilities. Drivers are usually included in data kit.

Pros: Fairly easy to use. Can connect anywhere that your phone has service. Fairly decent speed in certain areas.
Cons: Can be expensive depending on your phone plan. Can drop connection when in rural areas. Roaming.

2. Wireless Aircard
Wireless card that is inserted to the PCMCIA slot on laptops. Most newer laptops have these slots, and drivers are included with purchase of card. Basically a cellular antenna for your laptop. The card has a telephone number attached to it, and allows you to make and receive phone calls via your laptop (you must have speakers and a mic in order for that to work). The best feature of this method is that the data rate capabilities are fairly quick, connecting over 300K and sometimes if your lucky up to 2mbps.

Cons: Cost of card, cost of monthly plan.

My opinion, I love my aircard. My boss got it for me, so I wouldn't have an excuse to check my e-mail. The second method may be feasible if your really plan on using the card. Otherwise your probably just better off connecting via your cell phone.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:13 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caplax40
I personally have never done it, but at one of my coworkers previous jobs he used a cell phone to act as a modem to connect to the net. Said it was pretty quick too, connecting at a little over 100kbps.
man, what phone and service was this?!
my poor little phone cant even dream of connecting that fast.

Quick Reply: Cyberspace ....Way to Connect to the internet