Sponsored by:

Tranny is going....what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 10:24 PM
entomber
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny is going....what to do

I bought my Bronco with a 160k miles on it. It had a really hard shift most noticably in 2nd gear (it's an automatic). I had the tranny fluid changed, the problem was still there. I let my friend take it to the Ford dealer and have it FLUSHED. He said it took like 24 quarts to flush it out and it came out like mud. Now when I'm driving it I see the RPMs bounce up and down and going up an incline the truck kind of drops rpms and slowly revs up. The abrupt shifting seems a bit smoother now but it seems to have lost it's torque.

What am I looking at as far as repairs. I'm kind of dumb to the whole tranny thing. I know I'll need a torque converter. Is there anything I can do to beef this thing up while I'm at it for towing? I use my Bronco to go to work when I don't feel like driving the Probe and for towing my ATVs. Any advice for a not so mechanically inclined induvidual?

I know it's pricey.. I'm bracing myself for the responses I get. I found the tranny rebuilt alone on Ebay for 1000.00. Again just the tranny, not the torque converter and anything else that might have went.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:25 AM
BOJOFASO
Elder User
you didnt say what year or tranny you have. maybe you need a mlps , that is if it is an e4od. maybe you just need a torque converter, if the lock up clutch is slipping this would do the same as you describe.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:49 AM
entomber
Junior User
I have a 95 Bronco with an E40D tranny. What is a mlps? I've recently read that the E40D is expensive and problematic. Is there any reason why the tranny is so expensive?

Old 07-18-2004, 09:11 AM
BOJOFASO
Elder User
with a 95 e4od i do believe all the upgrades have been done to the trans. erlier versions were problematic but yours should be fairly reliable. the mlps is the manuel lever position sensor. it sends signals to the computer so the trans knows when and how to shift. when they go bad the computer gets mixed up signals and doesnt know when and how to shift. it will defineatly cause harsh shifts and slippage. i think it is a 60 or 70 dollar part but it may cure all your problems.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:08 AM
entomber
Junior User
Where is this part located? Hard to get to? Should I just let a dealer do it. Where can I order one? Sorry for hammering of the questions.... I'm dire right now to get my Bronco running right. I love this thing.... but needs a bit of TLC.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:17 AM
BOJOFASO
Elder User
you can get from the dealer or a good auto parts store. it is also your nuetrol safety switch. it is not hard to do at all. it is located on the transmission where the shift lever is connected .it has a multi wire plug on it. i think there are 6 wires on the connector. ford has updated this part so if you have a pre 1993 trans you will have to change the connector also. do a forum search on mlps and read them they will give you loads of info and some pictures also. not to long ago someone also posted the picture of how to aline the marks. i do know that ford techs say that if your e4od is not working properly to change the mlps and 8 of 10 times the problem will be cured.
160000 miles is alot on an e4od especially if it has not been serviced at the correct intervals. but again for the price of the part it is worth the try.