511 on the road!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work Scouder You know that if you want that motor tested at a "lower" altitude, you can ship East and I'll get it taken care of for you

Enjoy --Mike

Old 07-19-2004, 11:04 AM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike G
Nice work Scouder You know that if you want that motor tested at a "lower" altitude, you can ship East and I'll get it taken care of for you

Enjoy --Mike

I agree Scouder. I think you should come South, however. That truck should be tested on the beach. It just makes since being a 4x4! We have lots of beach that you can legally drive on here in Texas. We also have lots of incredible scenery (NO, I'm not talking about our ugly beaches).

Old 07-19-2004, 02:23 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
I think that good slimey Iowa mud would be just the thing to test it out. There's an event called the "Mud Run" in Plainfield Iowa. Looks like just the thing for your truck to dominate Scouder. Basically, they dig a big trench, fill it halfway with water, and let 'em go! Loads of fun and mud flying everywhere.

Old 07-19-2004, 02:29 PM
original67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad to see you got it on the road good job!

Old 07-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to hear you got it running with no pain...........(sorta).

Nothing to make you smile more than the first time you get to launch it!!

If you get tired of that alum. block...I'm sure my wagon could use the weight break

Congrats

Old 07-19-2004, 03:37 PM
Randyb12
Posting Guru
I am glad to hear it is running well. Have you tryed it in the dirt yet? Hope your axles are at least 1-ton. with that much tq you might need Rockwells. with some 48.5 Super Swampers you would be unstoppable.
I am definitly jellous.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:39 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Hey larry..dont want to steal Brains post..but what year did you say you bought your bed cover for your truck?? I have a 70 F250?

Old 07-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Thanks guys for the compliments (and the offers). It means alot coming from a forum like this.

Now it's back to finish work. Little stuff that I let slide so I could get it on the road. While I'm on the subject, I don't suppose any of you guys have seen a cool way to mount an alternator on a motorplate?

It's time for me to mount the alternator, vacuum pump, and saginaw steering box on the front of the engine, and anything to simplify will help. I cannot use the stock pieces because I dont have a stock waterpump anymore.

-Scouder

Old 07-19-2004, 05:44 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

I dont know Brain? thats a tough call... I think anyway you look at it..Unless you mount it high on the motor plate.. your going to weakin it? I'LL have to go back and look at your gallery..

Old 07-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

From the drag racers I have seen, some machined alum. blocks used to space items on mount plate works great and looks clean. Sorry no pictures, but with some well thought out placement, it would work great. Hang them low, off bottom of plate.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Freightrain
From the drag racers I have seen, some machined alum. blocks used to space items on mount plate works great and looks clean. Sorry no pictures, but with some well thought out placement, it would work great. Hang them low, off bottom of plate.
I think that is the way I'm leaning. Since the plate is in essence part of the engine, I can mount directly to the plate as opposed to the water pump etc...

My vacuum pump is actually flat on the back, and is designed specifically for mounting on a motor plate. Something similar for the alternator and PS would be cool. I'm gonna go do a search because I am using the small Delco 1-wire alternator. Somebody has to have a motor plate mount for that.

-Scouder

Old 07-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

I would hang the alt. by the swing bolt and make a slide bracket to adjust tension that hangs below alt. you could mount this low on pass. side, vacuum pump above it(pump would be in front of plate). This would leave the drivers side for PS pump.

Just a thought?

Old 07-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

That is exactly what is going to happen. I went out and mocked up the alternator and vacuum pump first. The vacuum pump will go over the swing bolt first, then a spacer then the alternator. the vacuum pump will sit high, the alternator will hang. I am going to swing the alternator out toward the frame and bolt it securely to the plate using a spacer. The alternator will be non-adjustable. The top of the vacuum pump has a long curved slot machined into it for adjustment. I will fashion a rod of hollow aluminum and put 3/8 rod ends on each end. I will use a longer stud for my tstat housing and fasten one rod end there, and the other rod end will connect to a bolt that passes through the adjusting slot on the vacuum pump. The same belt will spin the alternator and vacuum pump, and the vacuum pump will provide the belt tension for both. It should be very clean, with no visible bracketry for either one, except for the tensioning rod.

I will tackle the power steering when I get these done.

-Scouder

Old 07-21-2004, 12:10 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm chiming in a bit late, but I wanted to say that its great how the beast is coming together. Can't wait for video...sounds like you have the gnarliest mill on the board, good stuff. I've enjoyed hearing about your & Gregs buildups when I check in. Congrats

Old 07-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by proeliator
I'm chiming in a bit late, but I wanted to say that its great how the beast is coming together. Can't wait for video...sounds like you have the gnarliest mill on the board, good stuff. I've enjoyed hearing about your & Gregs buildups when I check in. Congrats
Good to hear from you again. We haven't seen much of you lately. How's everything?

-Scouder

Quick Reply: 511 on the road!!!